If you arent paying attention to Warframe, then you arent paying attention to gaming

Harven

Commander
Jul 28, 2016

That was the title of the video above.

To be honest, I havent played Warframe in a very long time. I have tried to get into the game multiple times, and even though it entertains for a while, it gets boring and repetitive pretty quickly. It has always intrigued me how this game only keeps on getting more succesful, and increasing its player base, as you can see from steamcharts. Most games go down, Truly, most. But this game, from 20k players to 100k players, and increasing, its pretty interesting what they are doing.

It has always made me feel as Im not their target, as if I wasnt for the game, because I had never been able to understand why the game keeps getting more popular. I log in, play, try to understand why the game has so many loyal fans, fail to see, leave.

Im gonna give it a try once more, as the last update, Fortuna, seems pretty mind blowing to me, but also, Im gonna try it again and give it sometime even if I get bored. I really wanna understand whats the deal wiht this game. Because it is loved by the community, and the devs who are creating it. They love their game.

——-

Anyways, I thought on putting this video in here. I thought it might be helpful to, as I said in another post, to learn from other games, specially this one, as its increasing popularity is pretty fascinating. I thought watching this video was in the interest of not only the Devs of Em8er, as they want their game to be succesful, but also the people and the community who want to understand the gaming world more and want to get into the industry.

It can be a game worth studying why it is constantly going up, and not down like most games do. So maybe studying its success can help Em8er. Waframe might have not started from the top, but it, with balance, came from the bottom, to the top, and it still doing so. So many games start from the top, and then fail horribly and are sent to the abyss. Maybe, I dont know much about the game industry but I wanna be part of it, but anyways maybe, whats best for Em8er is to look for a way to do baby smart steps, to increasingly get better, and steadely improve, just like Warframe, so every goal is achieved with success.

From what I have read and from what Mark has shown us, is that thats exactly their plan. They dont plan on going crazy big, but they plan on having a very good foundation, to then improve in baby steps, and get popular with balance, not with extreme, crazy, illogical ambition. As the video says, ambition is good, but also, too much of it can lead to failure. Warframe had always ambition, but it was controlled, and I feel thats whats happening with Em8er as Mark learnt from Firefall.

Today, there is so many video game history to learn from, that I feel it should be easier to get a game to work if only we listen more to history.

Aside from learning from the success of a game, there is also learning from failures:

So yeah. Just some stuff I wanted to share with people, to hopefully help Em8er, as we all truly want to to be a success. I guess this was more of a serious post than something fun to talk about :)

Ps: Also I consider the title a bit too much hehe, but there is some truth to it :)

Maven

Kaiju Slayer
Max Kahuna
Philanthropist
Jul 26, 2016
Warframe, for all the praise and accolades it has garnered over the years, has never been a game I could get into. The game does appeal to me on some level, especially when watching videos or reading about it. It makes me want to pick it up and play it. Tried twice. Didn't last more than a day on there.

It has its appeal, with its theme, slick action, the community and a very responsive dev team, but the grind simply puts me off. Its a game that needs a lot of time invested, and I'm not for dedicating what little time I have, to one single game.

Nonetheless, in a market that's inundated with cheap copies and failed ambitions, Warframe has pretty much re-established the fact, that for anything to be successful, it needs time, patience and dedication. The success Warframe enjoys today comes from the dev's intense desire/drive to see their vision come to life, the willingness to graft through the tough times, and the support of the community. We've got two of those facets here. Hopefully we have less of the trying times and more of the growing times.

All that aside, the following tweets from Mark pretty much sums up his overall plans, and how he is taking notes from the success Warframe has built over the years:

1.JPG 2.JPG 3.JPG

As for the title, atleast it didn't go '...then you are not a real gamer.'

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
they plan on having a very good foundation, to then improve in baby steps, and get popular with balance, not with extreme, crazy, illogical ambition. As the video says, ambition is good, but also, too much of it can lead to failure.
They have ambition but that couldnt be possible without the community backing/drive and making decisive choices to eventually get the game where it is at currently.

the fact, that for anything to be successful, it needs time, patience and dedication.
That is spot on hard work and some good luck too

Warframe enjoys today comes from the dev's intense desire/drive to see their vision come to life, the willingness to graft through the tough times, and the support of the community. We've got two of those facets here. Hopefully we have less of the trying times and more of the growing times.
Em8er has a good start we have full control, a core dedicated team, and a great community too.
With the experience and the amazing minds here in the community we can make strides with this ambitious game the hype will be real for this one my gut says so!

Harven

Commander
Jul 28, 2016
I see Mark has talked about the topic, it was pretty evident anyways Mark was inspired by Warframe, and its cool that he credits that :)

One other thing I have been researching on Warframe is the monetization system. I have realized that absolutely everything in Warframe, including cosmetics, you can get ingame, the only thing you can only get with real money is Tenno Skins, and is because those are skins made by the community, and that money goes to them. To be honest, thats really damn amazing. The idea that cosmetics dont affect gameplay, and thats why some games choose that excuse to monetize that way, has bugged me alot for a long time. It does affect gameplay, its a lie it doesnt, everybody wants to look cool, and epic, and overpowered, and its pretty cool that Warframe understands that. Warframe really struggles so absolutely everybody can be and look and feel as overpowered as possible, amd thats amazing. Some games like WoW have created whole systems for cosmetics, just so you can look better, because looking good is important. Although Im not against Em8er going that way, I really hope in the future Em8er gets to a point where cosmetics are more easily accesible to everybody, because honestly, there might be a point where I cant put more money onto Em8er, and seeing I cant also unlock more stuff, I will start to slowly kind of lose interest until future updated are added where I can again get back into the game and unlock new stuff. But, if Em8er constantly has unlockables, even if they are hard to get, if I reach a point when I cant put any more money into the game, I will still have time to give the game, and become active just so I can get those amazing cosmetics or watever unlock I want, even if its hard to get, I will put the hours. I remember I would spend HOURS back in early Firefall days, just to get purple octine and such high quality resources, to then craft good high quality weapons. Damn, those Firefall days felt reslly rewarding. Eventually, what will happen is that I will not only feel grateful with Em8er for giving me so much fun, but also start feeling loyal to the game as I dont feel less or any kind of prejudice is created, and will try to find ways to give money to Em8er, to show my gratitude.

Truly, okey, cosmetics are a way to not affect gameplay that “much”, but it still does. If Em8er will totally go that way of monetization, I hope a bit can be learnt from Warframe so it does not feel like the only way to look really damn amazing and log in just to contemplate your character is by spending money some people will never be able to spend. I get it, a game needs to monetize, but again, something can be learnt from Warframe to create that love the community has with the game that they are willing to spend money even if its not necessary.

Last edited:

Maven

Kaiju Slayer
Max Kahuna
Philanthropist
Jul 26, 2016
Relevant:

6.JPG

Now, do remember this is old info, more than a year now, so it may or may not be valid.

Also, cosmetics may be bought with priority points:

5.JPG

Talking about cosmetics, they don't affect gameplay in the sense that it doesn't provide a 'power-bonus' to the owner. Any such bonus, however small, boils down to 'Pay2Win'. It has become such a reviled concept that even simple character skins sold in-game are often extensively scrutinized to see if they affect character or skill hitboxes. In that regard, the plan seems to be that Em-8ER will not have any cash-shop item that boosts any attribute or provide you any advantage that allows you to gain anything 'extra' over other players (except looking cool).

When it comes to unlocking cosmetics in-game, do remember that Em-8ER is going to rely mostly on cosmetics for revenue. The trick is to find that fine line between ensuring that there is a steady cash flow from sales, and allowing sufficient accessibility to the cosmetics for the non-paying playerbase. It's quite likely that there will be several cosmetics that can be earned in-game, a majority percentage, but there is also a high likelihood of cash shop only cosmetics, atleast a few of them.

Let's face it, simply having a lot of people online playing the game, does not, in itself, keep the servers alive. There will always be a small percentage of players who spend a significant amount of money (affectionately referred to as 'whales') on the game, and quite often that can be the difference-maker when it comes to staying in the 'black'. As much as people tend to look down upon this section of the playerbase, they are quite an essential part of the community.

An option for access to cash-shop exclusives, would be to have a system akin to the Red Bean Exchange. Several games implement such systems to facilitate an exchange of resources between paying and non-paying players. It does have its own caveats, and often tends to ignite the age old discussion (read argument) of Pay2Win, so that's a topic better left untouched.

Last edited:

Jaunn

Firstclaimer
Jul 29, 2016
France
I'm glad Warframe is following a good and rewarding path, it's an example in the game industry.
So Warframe despite its bigger zones, is still the same and it's not what I'm looking for.
To me :
• the open world is non existant, full of instances and corridors
• the gameplay isn't good because of the camera position (too close, and cannot be adjustable), added to that the fast movements (mostly in corridors) are giving me headaches.
• level design : as pretty the textures can be, the procedural generation is boring and repetitive
• the new instance with the space fight, is for now, more eye candy than a real new experience.

Since Warframe isn't going to be an open world MMO, it's not interesting me.
What's good is that the game can smoothly run on a low-end pc.

And I'm afraid that Em-8er will have a hard time handling a massive amount of people without sacrificing your FPS or lagging.

Torgue_Joey

Kaiju Slayer
KAIJU 'SPLODER
Jul 27, 2016
Germany
I WOULD LIKE TO SEE THEM ALSO COPY THE COSMETIC MECHANIC-WISE FROM GUILD WARS 2.
IF YOU CRAFT WEAPONS AND ARMORS YOU ALSO UNLOCK SAID SKIN.

MAY BE BASIC SKIN AND SH*T, BUT GREAT FOR MIXING AND MATCHING.

I WOULD RATHER SEE THE TRULY AWESOME AND FLASHY CRAP IN-GAME SHOP.

Last edited:

zdoofop

Firstclaimer
Jul 26, 2016
Noneofyourbeeswaxistan

That was the title of the video above.

To be honest, I havent played Warframe in a very long time. I have tried to get into the game multiple times, and even though it entertains for a while, it gets boring and repetitive pretty quickly. It has always intrigued me how this game only keeps on getting more succesful, and increasing its player base, as you can see from steamcharts. Most games go down, Truly, most. But this game, from 20k players to 100k players, and increasing, its pretty interesting what they are doing.

It has always made me feel as Im not their target, as if I wasnt for the game, because I had never been able to understand why the game keeps getting more popular. I log in, play, try to understand why the game has so many loyal fans, fail to see, leave.

Im gonna give it a try once more, as the last update, Fortuna, seems pretty mind blowing to me, but also, Im gonna try it again and give it sometime even if I get bored. I really wanna understand whats the deal wiht this game. Because it is loved by the community, and the devs who are creating it. They love their game.

——-

Anyways, I thought on putting this video in here. I thought it might be helpful to, as I said in another post, to learn from other games, specially this one, as its increasing popularity is pretty fascinating. I thought watching this video was in the interest of not only the Devs of Em8er, as they want their game to be succesful, but also the people and the community who want to understand the gaming world more and want to get into the industry.

It can be a game worth studying why it is constantly going up, and not down like most games do. So maybe studying its success can help Em8er. Waframe might have not started from the top, but it, with balance, came from the bottom, to the top, and it still doing so. So many games start from the top, and then fail horribly and are sent to the abyss. Maybe, I dont know much about the game industry but I wanna be part of it, but anyways maybe, whats best for Em8er is to look for a way to do baby smart steps, to increasingly get better, and steadely improve, just like Warframe, so every goal is achieved with success.

From what I have read and from what Mark has shown us, is that thats exactly their plan. They dont plan on going crazy big, but they plan on having a very good foundation, to then improve in baby steps, and get popular with balance, not with extreme, crazy, illogical ambition. As the video says, ambition is good, but also, too much of it can lead to failure. Warframe had always ambition, but it was controlled, and I feel thats whats happening with Em8er as Mark learnt from Firefall.

Today, there is so many video game history to learn from, that I feel it should be easier to get a game to work if only we listen more to history.

Aside from learning from the success of a game, there is also learning from failures:

So yeah. Just some stuff I wanted to share with people, to hopefully help Em8er, as we all truly want to to be a success. I guess this was more of a serious post than something fun to talk about :)

Ps: Also I consider the title a bit too much hehe, but there is some truth to it :)
will there be a test on this?

(seriously though, I didn't last 10 minutes into the 45 minute video.)

Oct 29, 2016
The news is kinda everywhere, it's hard to not notice if you keep paying attention to gaming. Even reddit ads.
And I keep playing Warframe with "I'm in too deep" in mind, so i keep playing the endgame, Fashionframe...
Also, the way that free players can get premium currency keeps me afloat, buying new cosmetics once they released, feeling awesome that i can be cooler than before, only to find someone else is more imaginative than I...
And then there's the freakin' cliffhanger from the last story!

PlzBanMe

The furry mod
Staff member
Ember Moderator
Jul 27, 2016
Warframe is designed in a way that I do not find fair to player. It isn't everything, I JUST do not like the progression. It is designed to take as much time as possible to earn gear. Even as a paying player I found myself playing endless hours. It is part of how they keep you playing. Some main focus points are as followed. These are used to get you into playing more than you otherwise would.
  1. Clear and easy to understand goals. Now this in its self is not a bad thing but it is core to their system. A lot of people like progression simply to progress making it easy to see where to go next is key. It is easy to see what a weapon needs and where to get it. It made it easier to invest more time.
  2. Quick easy to get items early on. The game is front loaded with these. Weapons requiring argon are kind of a middle ground then your late game weapons are all hard to get.
  3. Weapon mastery. Basically you have to master every weapon in order to gain Mastery rank. This unlocks some weapons and increases trade amount. It isn't a bad system by itself.
  4. Limiting your farm. When a game gives you unlimited amount of farm you can do you stop when you have what you need generally. With factions they give you a limit on how much fame you can earn a day. If you don't max out your fame for the day it feels like you are missing out. So you play until you have it.
  5. Relics are RNG on top of RNG. You first have to farm the relic and then open it. if you are doing it online then you can pick from your teammate's relics. Better know prime parts because you have a few second to pick what you want.
  6. Almost none of the game is one run and done. Every boss battle must be farmed. Any endless mission is a farming mission.
  7. Crafting. Stuff is on a 24 hour time just to get you to come back the next day. But you can craft as many items as you want at once. I would call that a super A+. I have done up to two dozen at a time.
  8. The investment and the amount of content. Warframe has such a large amount of content it to it that the devs don't worry about end game. Your end game is to keep farming what you have yet to earn. There are primes farm. Forma farming. Relic farming, fame farming, credit farm, sentinel farming(for resources to craft the forma). Why would you stop playing after putting all this time in.
I played over 300 hours over 2 solid mouth leading up to POE. I got 3 or 4 90 percent off coupons and bought 40 dollars packs. I was set on plat. I was doing five plus hours a day. When I found that almost none of my farming matter I was crushed. It snapped me out of Warframe. When I started to look at it I realized being a space ninja wasn't worth the time it took too play. It made me realize I was playing for two main reasons. To progress and because I had already invested too much time. With the plains you just had new resources to farm. It was just another thing to do just to take time.

Last edited:

FurryAngel

Feli Gatestrider
Jul 7, 2017
Spoiler Alert:

They kill off Lotus. The game is unplayable after that.
Mod edit Plzbanme: Please don't spoil the story for other people. Use a spoiler! They can be inserted by clicking on the drop down menu by the smiley.

Last edited by a moderator:

liandri

Omni Ace
Omni Ace
Jul 29, 2016
Zone of Bones, Australia
I now have 404 hours in Warframe since starting 3 months ago and I will admit that in the time I have played, enough has changed to keep me invested, compared to other multiplayer games on the market (namely Destiny 2, TES Online and Guild Wars 2, being the only other active MMOs I own and play). Not so much for the lore, not so much for the gameplay, the atmosphere or well, anything in particular. It's definitely repetitive, but it feels different to the boring repetitiveness of Destiny 2 and co.

It really is the game to watch, and it's nice that the new content released is not only free, but usually something substantial enough to keep you going until the next update.

0V3RKILL

Tsi-Hu Hunter
Aug 5, 2016
I personally din't like warframe when it came out and I still don't. To me its like the division. Just a glorified coop game that people call mmo for some odd reason. I rather play defiance 2050. At least there I can have an open world and play with others when ever I see a person. Just like in firefall. When warframe goes 100% open world all the time, not just one mission then I'll go into that.