If I wanted to make addons...

NightStroke

Base Commander
Base Commander
Jul 26, 2016
If my firefall veterans remember, the add-on community was quite active. I wasn't big on coding back then but really wanted to make stuff. Now, with the game in its inception, I think this would be an awesome opportunity to begin coding omniframe ideas that we'd all love to see. I'd love to create a shoddy model of a certain flamey-boi. The thing I want to know is how and where to get to files that run the source code for the movement demo and how I mess with them in a way that doesn't break the demo. Thanks everyone!

Mahdi

Firstclaimer
Jul 26, 2016
South Carolina, US
I honestly would prefer to see a fully complete and launched game that is healthy before mods come from the community. A couple mods were nice in firefall, but one of them I used (shard hopping ore detection) Grummz has condemned and found a way to not have that in Em-8ER.

Biz

Kaiju Slayer
Kaiju Slayer
Jul 30, 2016
If your game has a hard weapon range of 215m but no quick and easy way to tell IF your target is actually 215m away, then a really small mod to UI (the only mod I used for FF as far as I remember) is the way to
go. I remember moving elements of the UI around some as well, changing crosshairs to a Dot, everything else was good enough to not need any mods at all.

Some people just have to change everything, while others need X functionallity they are used to from other games, both can be met if you make your game accept Some non-advantage giving customizations. Where exactly the line between a convinient ui element and cheating goes is up to devs to decide.

Aug 14, 2016
At this early stage in development there would be no need for add-ons that could change how the game plays because the devs can always add in such things themselves negating the need to make an add-on for it in the first place. But making add-ons to do silly things is another matter. For example, an add-on called something like child friendly mode where you replace all the "bad" words in the game with something harmless and replace all the blood and guts with things like candy and confetti calling all the enemies in the game things like evil alien pinatas. Or what about a add-on that makes every character in the game, even the enemies, ware a top hat?

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
Was particularly put off by mods because didn't know if it was legit or how it could affect my game.
if the mods themselves were approved by the Em8er team and on their site i am more reassured that the add on would be worth checking out.

Also some mods involved some steps to get it to work maybe its my fear of destroying! If add on/mods are easy to install and use that would make it much more better imo.

Jul 26, 2016
I honestly would prefer to see a fully complete and launched game that is healthy before mods come from the community. A couple mods were nice in firefall, but one of them I used (shard hopping ore detection) Grummz has condemned and found a way to not have that in Em-8ER.
One of the things I enjoyed about firefall is the ability to make addons to customize the appearance of the user interface. A good healthy display is always great, but the full customizability is what kept me interested.

My favorite thing about the addons was that addons/addon coding was almost built into the game, rather than working around/outside the engine. Without that I'm not sure there would have been as strong an addon community.

zdoofop

Firstclaimer
Jul 26, 2016
Noneofyourbeeswaxistan
I think Grummz said that we wouldn't be able to make addons because of the way UE4 works. That was a while ago, though, so it could have changed more recently. However, if we can't make addons, perhaps the devs can make free "dlcs" that function similarly to how some addons worked in Firefall. Perhaps a new version of lfgfinder, or something in-game like warframe.market.