idea for starting point

zdoofop

Firstclaimer
Jul 26, 2016
Noneofyourbeeswaxistan
a while back, it was suggested that an ideal starting point for a base was a spaceship of some sort. That way, the tsihu had no way of taking it over. While tht is interesting, I have a better idea: moon base!!! in thi way, the tsihu, being stuck on the planet, could not get to the moon, but it would allow us to mine some sort of base resource (a la crystite) that is universally used, for basic crafting.

That is not to say there won't be any spaceships involved, perhaps a crashed/landed ship would be our copacabana.

a while back, it was suggested that an ideal starting point for a base was a spaceship of some sort. That way, the tsihu had no way of taking it over. While tht is interesting, I have a better idea: moon base!!! in thi way, the tsihu, being stuck on the planet, could not get to the moon, but it would allow us to mine some sort of base resource (a la crystite) that is universally used, for basic crafting.

That is not to say there won't be any spaceships involved, perhaps a crashed/landed ship would be our copacabana.
Another thing we'd have to establish, pun intended, is how strong a foothold we'll have, at the start, if it will be only one base, or several outposts, as well. This is important, because when we're dropped into the game, when our rag-tag "team" of Reapers arrive to have an adventure and to make our fortune, will we already have a "Copacabana" like Hub and if so, how developed will it be. Will there only be basic garages, repair stations, or will there be an R&D division, R&R, with bars and stuff. Given the planet's environment, terra-formed pockets of habitability aside, it won't exactly be a vacation spot. So, does that mean that any previous base-building efforts only focused on the essentials, like, garages, depots, defenses, without wasting resources on anything that was not necessary for survival. In short, how will the initial base of operations/hub look like, whether it'll be on the surface of Em-8er, its moon, or on a ship. I suppose the diversity of buildings and their function can depend on where the hub will be and what its size will be.

zdoofop

Firstclaimer
Jul 26, 2016
Noneofyourbeeswaxistan
Another thing we'd have to establish, pun intended, is how strong a foothold we'll have, at the start, if it will be only one base, or several outposts, as well. This is important, because when we're dropped into the game, when our rag-tag "team" of Reapers arrive to have an adventure and to make our fortune, will we already have a "Copacabana" like Hub and if so, how developed will it be. Will there only be basic garages, repair stations, or will there be an R&D division, R&R, with bars and stuff. Given the planet's environment, terra-formed pockets of habitability aside, it won't exactly be a vacation spot. So, does that mean that any previous base-building efforts only focused on the essentials, like, garages, depots, defenses, without wasting resources on anything that was not necessary for survival. In short, how will the initial base of operations/hub look like, whether it'll be on the surface of Em-8er, its moon, or on a ship. I suppose the diversity of buildings and their function can depend on where the hub will be and what its size will be.
excellent points. In my vision (which might not be the same as other people's visions) a ship on the surface would act as a large central hub, meaning everything you mentioned is available there, as well as a teleporter to the planet's surface. Outside the ship (on the moon's surface) will be a terrain littered with only the most basic mineable resources needed for crafting, and there may be 3 or 4 minor bases, depending on the moon's size, that allow faster access to called frames.

EDIT: on the planet' surface, we will start with nothing, (maybe a tiny, well fortified point that has a teleporter, resource collection point, and omniframe garage). That way, it's more rewarding when we do capture a territory.

Last edited:
excellent points. In my vision (which might not be the same as other people's visions) a ship on the surface would act as a large central hub, meaning everything you mentioned is available there, as well as a teleporter to the planet's surface. Outside the ship (on the moon's surface) will be a terrain littered with only the most basic mineable resources needed for crafting, and there may be 3 or 4 minor bases, depending on the moon's size, that allow faster access to called frames.
I suppose the moon could serve as a staging ground (in the story of the game) and as a tutorial-area with shooting ranges and traversing different kinds of terrain to familiarize the player with the basic or even more advanced mechanics of the game, like, movement, weapons, squads (with NPCs for the tutorial), ordering them (squad commands), chat (area chat, would be nice to have the same system as in FF, 50m-150m-500m-...etc. ranges). Stuff like that. They can practice calling down their thumpers, issuing orders to them, see how resources-gathering an management works, before they make their trip to the planet. From the moon, we could be given a neat view of the planet's surface and where our starting base would be. For comparison, as well, to see how small a niche we have and how much work there will be.

Terib.Shadow

Omni Ace
Omni Ace
Jul 26, 2016
Baal Secundus
Just wanna drop this info here, I made a thread a couple of weeks ago, after suggesting something to grummz and learning something as well, Grummz does have an idea of what he'd love the "main base" to be, in that thread i point out what that idea grummz wants and i also add some ideas i came up with, i'll let you lads have a look.

https://forums.em8er.com/threads/id...oing-on-offworld-in-the-sky-on-our-side.1187/

zdoofop

Firstclaimer
Jul 26, 2016
Noneofyourbeeswaxistan
Then EM-8ER also has a moon, and i thought what greater place to build our HeadQuarters other than EM-8ER's moon, which is barren and empty, much like Earth's. From there Higher ups such as officers or commanders would be able to send out orders, scan the planet (be it for enemy bases, enemy units or other things) and many other things also to be determined. The scans would most likely require for us to control the area and have some sort of orbital relays built inside our bases there.
all good ideas except for the moon being barren. If we have no territory on the planet's surface, we will at least need basic resources to repair and refuel our frames.

EDIT: you forgot the most important scan: resources. Also a moon base would be ideal for targeted orbita strikes.

Terib.Shadow

Omni Ace
Omni Ace
Jul 26, 2016
Baal Secundus
all good ideas except for the moon being barren. If we have no territory on the planet's surface, we will at least need basic resources to repair and refuel our frames.
Yes that would make it complicated, but then again it's also in line with Grummz's view on EM-8ER's mechanics, when we lose higher tier zones we also lose the ability to gather it's minerals and thus the ability to repair equipment of the same quality, I'd also guess the Gatestriders wouldn't be dumb enough to not make a stock of the basic minerals needed.

zdoofop

Firstclaimer
Jul 26, 2016
Noneofyourbeeswaxistan
Yes that would make it complicated, but then again it's also in line with Grummz's view on EM-8ER's mechanics, when we lose higher tier zones we also lose the ability to gather it's minerals and thus the ability to repair equipment of the same quality, I'd also guess the Gatestriders wouldn't be dumb enough to not make a stock of the basic minerals needed.
yes we would lose the ability to gather higher tier resources, but the very very very basic mats needed for t0 frame repair and refuel could be on the moon, that woud not be in conflict with his views, especially since we would need even a portion of the planet to get the resources necessary for basic t0 crafting.

Just wanna drop this info here, I made a thread a couple of weeks ago, after suggesting something to grummz and learning something as well, Grummz does have an idea of what he'd love the "main base" to be, in that thread i point out what that idea grummz wants and i also add some ideas i came up with, i'll let you lads have a look.

https://forums.em8er.com/threads/id...oing-on-offworld-in-the-sky-on-our-side.1187/
Oh, yeah. Saw that, already. Would give more freedom, for ideas and for movement, literally. Plus, it'd give us a good excuse for how we could call in orbital or airstrike. And repositioning/fast-travel could happen vie redeploying from the ship or from orbit.

Or, on login, one would always start from the ship and they could choose the exact spot they'd want to be deployed at, within the playable area, provided it is player-controlled. That way, we would immediately get a tactical overview of the situation and we could choose to immediately drop in and help out comrades who are in the middle of battle. Their distress calls, for reviving or assistance would be displayed as well.

Terib.Shadow

Omni Ace
Omni Ace
Jul 26, 2016
Baal Secundus
Oh, yeah. Saw that, already. Would give more freedom, for ideas and for movement, literally. Plus, it'd give us a good excuse for how we could call in orbital or airstrike. And repositioning/fast-travel could happen vie redeploying from the ship or from orbit.

Or, on login, one would always start from the ship and they could choose the exact spot they'd want to be deployed at, within the playable area, provided it is player-controlled. That way, we would immediately get a tactical overview of the situation and we could choose to immediately drop in and help out comrades who are in the middle of battle. Their distress calls, for reviving or assistance would be displayed as well.
That is exactly what i thought when i wrote that idea down, as well as a few other things, it'd be great for when you get online, just as you said.

Terib.Shadow

Omni Ace
Omni Ace
Jul 26, 2016
Baal Secundus
yes we would lose the ability to gather higher tier resources, but the very very very basic mats needed for t0 frame repair and refuel could be on the moon, that woud not be in conflict with his views, especially since we would need even a portion of the planet to get the resources necessary for basic t0 crafting.
That's true, but then i really wonder, how will we go about harvesting basic stuff on the moon then? Mining on the moon with a THMPR and absolutely no danger sounds a bit anticlimactic.

Edit : now i can't stop giggling after picturing that situation in my head.

That's true, but then i really wonder, how will we go about harvesting basic stuff on the moon then? Mining on the moon with a THMPR and absolutely no danger sounds a bit anticlimactic.

That's why I think making a moon-base into a tutorial area would be best. No real danger, there. But, there isn't supposed to be any, in a training-facility and staging ground. It's just for brass to look at all their war-assets and get a hard-on over. And for new players to get acquainted with the basic lore and stuff, before they step foot on Em-8er and get their frame's face mauled by a pack of shape-shifted beasts. WELCOME.

zdoofop

Firstclaimer
Jul 26, 2016
Noneofyourbeeswaxistan

I neer said there woudn't be danger. Just because the moon is empty of tsihu doesn't mean there aren't (semi-weak) cat 0-1 kaiju there, both for tutorial and mining challenge purposes.