Idea for "Death"

Do you like this?

• Total voters

Vedemin

Deepscanner
Jul 27, 2016
Hello everyone!
We've been discussing what happens to player when he dies. I have another idea. When a player "dies" in an omniframe, he is launched to nearest base in an emergency launch seat, leaving omniframe. Than he hops into a new one.
This is a simple system eliminating any spiritual thoughts :)

TankHunter678

Jul 26, 2016
The omniframe does not even have a seat. We stand in it. Also the design has its flight capable systems in the upper body. So it would not be able to eject us anywhere.

We should just do a Borderlands. Canonically we never die. Death and Respawn is only for gameplay reasons.

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
perhaps the pilot implodes until they turn into a small light beam that blinks for a second and vanishes, then reappearing at one of the safe zones nearest to your location.

The pilot is fully regenerated through a matrix of lasers generated from the small beam of light in a specialized printer chamber. Your mind is directly fed back into your lifeless shell as you step back in the mech recapping all current missions to keep user from not going rogue!

Jul 26, 2016
We should just do a Borderlands. Canonically we never die. Death and Respawn is only for gameplay reasons.
I thought it was canon in Borderlands that the player characters are paying for the reincarnation. That's why 7% of your cash gets deducted everytime you die.

I'm pretty sure the story reason for borderlands savepoints is that it re-uploads your body and junk for easy NewU revival.

The whole teleport system in borderlands basically kills you and then clones a new copy at your choice location.

TankHunter678

Jul 26, 2016
I thought it was canon in Borderlands that the player characters are paying for the reincarnation. That's why 7% of your cash gets deducted everytime you die.

I'm pretty sure the story reason for borderlands savepoints is that it re-uploads your body and junk for easy NewU revival.

The whole teleport system in borderlands basically kills you and then clones a new copy at your choice location.
Canonically we never die in Borderlands. Death and Respawn are for gameplay purposes, and the money drain is part of the punishment for dying in the first place, at least until you got enough money you do not need to even care.

This is also to answer "Why does Handsome Jack not just turn off the NewU stations?" As well as why they can permanently kill off previous player characters. As well as why the villains can be killed off in the first place. The NewU revive system is only for gameplay purposes, in the story it does not exist. The NewU station saying stuff to you every time it revives you is just the developers way of poking fun at the discussion on the community forums about it.

Aug 10, 2016
Hello everyone!
We've been discussing what happens to player when he dies. I have another idea. When a player "dies" in an omniframe, he is launched to nearest base in an emergency launch seat, leaving omniframe. Than he hops into a new one.
This is a simple system eliminating any spiritual thoughts :)

Aug 10, 2016
perhaps the pilot implodes until they turn into a small light beam that blinks for a second and vanishes, then reappearing at one of the safe zones nearest to your location.

The pilot is fully regenerated through a matrix of lasers generated from the small beam of light in a specialized printer chamber. Your mind is directly fed back into your lifeless shell as you step back in the mech recapping all current missions to keep user from not going rogue!
That death scene is to common....

Ammara

Jul 26, 2016
Ember is set in the future compared to FireFall. It would be more easy to arcfold the pilot's cabin back to the nearest base's medical department.

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
What about something like in mario kart where if you fall of a track or die some futuristic craft/bot picks you up and transport you away. I still like Vedemin idea

I like this too something with alot of aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah makes it more intense with screen flashing red with warning signs and all that goodness

Jul 26, 2016
When you die.

You die forever.

But, seriously, I don't think it needs any special treatment or flash since it'll only further push already thin development. There is nothing wrong with 'You Died' - Respawn? May be worth discussing a more unique death sequence later down the line but things need to be pretty basic if I'm understanding the limited resources and people to use those resources.

Torgue_Joey

Kaiju Slayer
KAIJU 'SPLODER
Jul 27, 2016
Germany
I'll just post my idea twice lol

The best thing I can come up with is some sort of Lazarus pit or Lazarus project (mass effect style).
Every player get a chip implant from the Lazarus insurance. When a player dies, it sends out an distress signal or signal of it current location, where the Lazarus team or insurance pick you up and throw your corps in the pit (where player would respawn and pickup their frame in the nearest repair shop) or resurrect you through Lazarus project (like mass effect).

My idea is, when ur OF gets critical dmg and is unable to operate, it ejects pilot backwards for X meters away (or just in air) then if pilot getting his deathshot, similiar fo FF, he just lies on ground "bleeding" and unable to do anything for X time, and if noone there to revive him, he dies permanently and respawns in some "medical" pod at nearest base with some small penalty for some time.