How Will Light Frames Compete As Damage Dealers Compared To Heavy Frames?

Thorp

Omni Ace
Jul 27, 2016
California, CA
Will Heavy meks simply out perform the smaller frames in every category except in mobility? What's the point of using Light meks as a damage dealer when a Heavy will always have higher damage output?

Similarly what is the benefit of using a Light mek as a "healer". Would a Heavy mek have stronger healing capabilities simply because Heavy's have higher power engines?

I ponder if players are going to be shoe-horned into piloting bigger meks. When the enemy difficulty increases are the Light frames just going to be sidelined?

(I heard in a Chief Chat that Light frames may be able to wall-run on Kaiju but I'm angling my question to just simply shooting at target).

Last edited:

Mahdi

Firstclaimer
Jul 26, 2016
South Carolina, US
I'm sure balancing issues will always be complained about. Unavoidable reality. Specific playstles will be gimped vs others and firefall had the same thing. Metas always exist and are one of the devs nightmares. I would dare to say that is the hardest aspect of this project behind funding.

But, as long as people feel they are effective and can still contribute to the world in all sensible builds, that would be a good foundation.

Jul 27, 2016
Massachusetts
To me it would make sense if weapons deal x amount of damage no matter what frame you are using. I thought frame size would correspond to armor/hit points, and the damage you deal would depend on the weapons you equip. I'm looking foreword to testing out the solutions they come up with. :v:

Jul 4, 2017
Well Warframe has operators,warframes and necramechs,if you know what you are doing all can do serious damage(at lest til lvl 100),I know not the best example but it works,Titanfall comes as a second example but haven't played that one.

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
To have 3 types of Frames that should have something unique between them for sure.

The light frame because of its high mobility and the thought of dual wielding melee weapons.
It may even have a lower profile to be less detected too and to continue on with less bulk and hit points.
Although not as tanky as the others.

Medium frames with dual guns, the cowReaper of the wild wild Em8er lands. They are the sort of midfielders of the team linking the light and heavy frames with their balanced systems

Heavy frame big weapons big armor just not so fast at moving, the juggernauts of the frame class.
They do not even need to hide like some frames soaking up the suns rays and damage while they steadily advance.

We are going to need all of them!

(I heard in a Chief Chat that Light frames may be able to wall-run on Kaiju but I'm angling my question to just simply shooting at target).
I want to run up a kaiju and dance on their head while the kaiju gets annoyed :D
Seriously i'd love to chop up weak points that other frames may have a hard time breaking.
Even placing becons and traps on the kaiju which would certainly be handy to help the rest.

You could argue they could glide to the kaiju what if the energy pool is not sufficient on the higher category kaiju's because they are huge or that the energy drain occurs around some meaning the parkour wall running is going to be really good.

I ponder if players are going to be shoe-horned into piloting bigger meks. When the enemy difficulty increases are the Light frames just going to be sidelined?
I'd imagine depends what skills could be used perhaps some skills are going to be far more effective on a light frame than a heavy such as stealth. Even though any could use a skill the light frame would have better mobility and less of a power draw than a heavy i'd guess.

Similarly what is the benefit of using a Light mek as a "healer". Would a Heavy mek have stronger healing capabilities simply because Heavy's have higher power engines?
Ah good point i'd think most would be medium frame although light frame could reach casualties faster but heavy would say have stronger heals as you mentioned but they may not have a good recharge speed or something ideal for the group heals rather than a light frame that act as rapid response 1 to 1.

Will Heavy meks simply out perform the smaller frames in every category except in mobility? What's the point of using Light meks as a damage dealer when a Heavy will always have higher damage output?
I'd think that the base Archetype of each frame is shown side by side with what one could do better and its limitations.

That's not to say certain limitations could be countered with skill type and applying different rank components depending on the resources etc.

Which means even though we have the Standard Architype to follow we could tweak and make it suited to our own playstyle.

So even if it seems lightframe is out performaned by the heavies in its damage we have to take to account if it was using dual melee's it could be a deadly cqc unit. It may damage just as high in an alternative method using a venom bombs that damage a radius just like the recons in global agenda as an example.

I'd think that pilot class could influence how the frame and weapons are more suitable for that particular class. It could be used by all but may have some advantages with the right class e.g.

Recon + (frame type) + sniper weapon.

E.g. The class may boost speed
This would be good for all, and may benefit the light frame more due to its already higher base stats in that area.