How graphic do we plan to go?

Nov 2, 2020
For me, this comes down to two things:
  1. How powerful are my weapons?
  2. How scary are my enemies?
On the weapon feedback front, blasting a swarm of knee-biters with a plasma cannon should send gibs and ragdolls flying, performance permitting. IIRC this is already the plan. Maybe we could blow some pieces off of bigger enemies as well, Monster Hunter style.

Likewise, the baddies in all their various incarnations should be terrifying - not just visually, but also in terms of what they can actually do.

Beast Shifters should literally rip pilots to pieces (if they get caught mechless), and Kaiju should swallow mechs whole while they stomp buildings flat. Battle damage is also a great way to sell this, with Omniframes losing various bits of greeble as they take hits.

In short - we're here to fight monsters, make them monstrous.

Most modern MMOs shy away from making things too visceral for fear of losing their mass appeal. I understand Ember is a bit more niche, and crowdfunded indie MMOs will always be fighting an uphill battle, so I fully understand if they choose to forego equal opportunity gibbing for the sake of attracting a larger audience.

That said, we've already got plans for some kind of modesty slider, so I'd be down for a violence sider too.

Last edited:

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
I think the idea of having ways to not see much of the blood etc is an option in games just like in l4d2 not sure if it helps performance in some way when you dont see all that but some swear it does.

Scary enemies are going to be scary but how scary do you mean exactly from 1-10
will it be scary as the scariest thing from a doom game to those silent hill type games in how they move and even look.

Some of the scariest one's are the one's that look odd and move weird oh yes and the noise they make you can tell by the sound and you think ohhh POOPS its somewhere around here!

A flying fish can be scary if it screamed and started slapping you in the face if you didnt reel it too quick maybe that would be more funny i guess.

I remember asking some folks what they found creepy and scary and one mentioned diglett
1641990978676.jpeg
You might think this one looks innocent but what if it grabbed you and chased by a diglett underground with horror music dear lawd its too dark down there and diglett have nightvision and could change form underground to something more evil hopefully not it is just a theory.

Wraithbane

Firstclaimer
Jul 27, 2016
I think the idea of having ways to not see much of the blood etc is an option in games just like in l4d2 not sure if it helps performance in some way when you dont see all that but some swear it does.

Scary enemies are going to be scary but how scary do you mean exactly from 1-10
will it be scary as the scariest thing from a doom game to those silent hill type games in how they move and even look.

Some of the scariest one's are the one's that look odd and move weird oh yes and the noise they make you can tell by the sound and you think ohhh POOPS its somewhere around here!

A flying fish can be scary if it screamed and started slapping you in the face if you didnt reel it too quick maybe that would be more funny i guess.

I remember asking some folks what they found creepy and scary and one mentioned diglett
View attachment 5097
You might think this one looks innocent but what if it grabbed you and chased by a diglett underground with horror music dear lawd its too dark down there and diglett have nightvision and could change form underground to something more evil hopefully not it is just a theory.
I'd say something like Doom Eternal would be nice. But even the Unreal 5 engine is going to have limits in an online multiplayer game. Also keep in mind that with the on going chip shortage, and the
miners and scalpers bots grabbing up all the new GPU's, many people will be unable to
upgrade their systems, Thats likely to be the case for years to come. I've seen some early examples of the Unreal 5 Egine in action. I'm quite looking forwards to what Grommz and his team can come up with.

liandri

Omni Ace
Omni Ace
Jul 29, 2016
Zone of Bones, Australia
I was thinking something on the level of Defiance 2050, but scaled up for 1st-person perspective rather than its 3rd-person. I'm sure the engine can handle it, and with DLSS/Fidelity most people will be free to play on reasonable settings without having to splurge $3,000 on a second-hand ex-crypto rig 2060 when the game is out.

Will you be able to shoot off the armour of fancy Crodus down to his birthday suit? Probably not, maybe just the pieces that matter.
Gory destructive deaths with gibs all over? Doubt it. Suits the enemy attacks, but don't really mesh with the game. I think you'll probably get a WoW style death.
Omniframe wear? Missing pieces would be awesome, but if anything, it'll initially be a grime/wear layer.
Photomode will be cool though if it works. It'll be a nice sign of things to come when technology catches up.

Agreed though, Kaiju should be engines of destruction. They need to be fun to fight, but it needs to be a well-fought win.
For the fear factor, I hope the Tsi-hu don't just spawn in groups or from loud, flashing portals. If you're walking around, it should be BAM, suddenly rifts, a proper ambush. Add some static/whispering effects to the Fabric. Interference in your HUD with stronger enemies.

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
For the fear factor, I hope the Tsi-hu don't just spawn in groups or from loud, flashing portals. If you're walking around, it should be BAM, suddenly rifts, a proper ambush. Add some static/whispering effects to the Fabric. Interference in your HUD with stronger enemies.
I like that sounds more intense but i also like the slow build up too at times, guess that could depend on whom we will face and at what areas or time and even if the A.I Director is going to dish out.

This is going to be huge if they can make the game looking very good and play silky smooth, some of the fun games are not even as super graphic intense actually had most fun currently in Deep rock galactic.

Though they are not open world so this makes me wonder even more can it be done can the Team Em8er make a great looking game that runs so smooth it is like sliding across a marble floor with the finest socks?

If so we will have a winner!