Hard armor and Soft armor

Aug 14, 2016
I know some of us touched on this here and there in other threads. But this thread is going to the more about the material science and engineering. The goal is to come up with some good armor options that can be used for different things.

For example, a soft low mass armor that can bend light to make you passively invisible and absorb different types of energy to help give extra power to your abilities and energy based weapons. This type of armor would be great for stealth players who like to use speed and agility as their main defense.

People are trying to make armor like this in real life and people have made steps into making. The main limiting factors as of now are cost and manufacturing. For more information look things like nanotechnology engineering and carbon nanotubes.

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2016
What if, instead of leaving the mech, the light mechs are much closer to a human's size while heavier mechs are two to three times the size of a human?
Going by why the devs said it seems like the idea it also have parts of the game where do get out of the mechs for different reasons. Mostly because there just some places they can't go. Like inside buildings and other small areas.

Torgue_Joey

Kaiju Slayer
KAIJU 'SPLODER
Jul 27, 2016
Germany
Going by why the devs said it seems like the idea it also have parts of the game where do get out of the mechs for different reasons. Mostly because there just some places they can't go. Like inside buildings and other small areas.
THE VEHICLES! DON'T FORGET THE VEHICLES!
#TANKSLIFEMATTERS

NightStroke

Base Commander
Base Commander
Jul 26, 2016
If we are getting technical here, wouldn't graphene-based armor be vastly superior to any alternative? Like it would have a theoretical tensile strength greater than kevlar and other alternatives, so what would be the point in having a "hard armor" if the soft armor is stronger and lighter?

If we are getting technical here, wouldn't graphene-based armor be vastly superior to any alternative? Like it would have a theoretical tensile strength greater than kevlar and other alternatives, so what would be the point in having a "hard armor" if the soft armor is stronger and lighter?
It's still crap against piercing projectiles like flechette ammo... It is known for rather piercing a hole through body and armour rather than explode-ripping one into it.

Silv3r Shadow

Max Kahuna
Max Kahuna
Kaiju Slayer
Jul 29, 2016
I don't spend much time at all on 4chan but they have some cool posts there on mecha
http://boards.4chan.org/m/
But to the topic, armour customization is awesome, one of the concept arts for ember has the heavy variant with a shield (like a metal riot one).
What if, instead of leaving the mech, the light mechs are much closer to a human's size while heavier mechs are two to three times the size of a human?
Like 'edge of tommorow' or at least not as bulky (but light and minus horrible municipal maneuver.
But also leaving the mech would be cool also, so many possibilities ^.^

NoahDVS

Deepscanner
Jul 27, 2016
The problem with bullet proof vests is that even if a round doesn't penetrate, the impact can still cause internal damage if there is enough force behind it. Hard armor may be more brittle sometimes, but it won't transfer the force to your internal organs the way soft armor does. Military body armor has ceramic and kevlar in it to more effectively break up and catch bullets.

0V3RKILL

Tsi-Hu Hunter
Aug 5, 2016
this brings up a question. Is this game game going to have heavies like Mammoth, Rhino, Arsenal, or regular heavy? Cause I see the mechs and the pilots. I get the impression that there won't be heavy frames? am I right? or wrong? I don't see how can you fit in a mech if you are wearing a heavy frame. I don't understand that part. Also why even bother with frames when you ultimately want to have a mech? How can you even fight a mech with just a heavy frame?

this brings up a question. Is this game game going to have heavies like Mammoth, Rhino, Arsenal, or regular heavy? Cause I see the mechs and the pilots. I get the impression that there won't be heavy frames? am I right? or wrong? I don't see how can you fit in a mech if you are wearing a heavy frame. I don't understand that part. Also why even bother with frames when you ultimately want to have a mech? How can you even fight a mech with just a heavy frame?
There are no frames, you are also already in teh mech, and there will be 3 mech types... light medium and heavy (with riot shield :3)

Torgue_Joey

Kaiju Slayer
KAIJU 'SPLODER
Jul 27, 2016
Germany
We mostly call it frame as the mech are called omniframe.