Handedness and holding styles

Aug 14, 2016
I can't remember if we ever talked about this or not. But will there be options pick what side you pilot favors? And will we have different options for holding weapons? I know this sounds odd but representation does matter both in terms of freedom of choice for players and in allowing some people feel a better connection their character and/or NPCs.

Although the percentage varies by culture, in Western countries about 85 to 90 percent of people are right-handed and 10 to 15 percent of people are left-handed. Mixed-handedness (preferring different hands for different tasks) and ambidextrousness (the ability to perform tasks equally well with either hand) are uncommon. In most games I played there is never an option to use your switch to your left. As an ambidextrous person this is something that always annoyed me and it is something that annoys a few left-handed people I know. Even in games where you can do things like dual wielding the left hand is still always used as the off-hand. And I can say that I never seen a truly ambidextrous option any games I've played over my lifetime. And sure one of the main points people make about such things is always about it'll take to much time and/or money make the animations. But in most cases all you are doing is just mirroring the animations. There wouldn't be a need to make new ones outside of a few things and you can just look at real left-handed people to know how they work around that (example, using a righthanded with your left side.).

When I thinking of holding styles I mostly think about melee but there are different holding styles for range weapons too. Just using a dagger for example, you can hold it overhanded or underhanded. it is all really simple. And if you can dual wield you have 3 options both daggers overhanded, both daggers underhanded, or one dagger overhanded with the other dagger underhanded. I know the topic of holding styles go into a larger topic about if different stances are just visual in the game or do different stances give buffs to different things. But I just want to know that if I wanted too I have the option to hold my weapons in different ways.

liandri

Omni Ace
Omni Ace
Jul 29, 2016
Zone of Bones, Australia
I'm down, but I wouldn't use it unless you could switch on the fly. Like the H command to switch your shoulder camera in the builds. It'd be useful if you were taking cover, but needed to fire around it from the left instead of exposing yourself to shoot.

Weapon holding styles is interesting, probably warrants a separate topic. But would be dependent on EM-8ER's melee combat system as to whether it affects the way you attack, combo, or if it's just for idle animations.