Got 2 guns? Shoot at 2 targets, then!

I have a more ambitious idea. You aim your right hand with your right mouse, and you aim your left hand with your left mouse. That's completely skill based.
LOL Jesus Christ! I mean, that's sounds cool. And you know those keyboards that look like they've been broken in half and both are actually mouses, I think, but with a few keys around them, one for each hand. Something like that would be awesome, actually. We'd need some serious coding for the control-mechanics, I imagine. Also, I'm not a fan of having 3-screens, but for a setup like that, with dual-mouses, spread out, on your desk in front of you, while you're laying back, like you're in a friggin' mech, you'd need a wider screen. So, 3 monitors linked up would do the trick.

However, it'd still be a nightmare to get used to handling the mouse with our non-dominant hand. It's already weird enough when you try and do something with your left-hand, when you're right-handed and vice-versa.

It would be sick, though.

Just generally controlling a mech-game like that would be a fucking dream. We could also hotkey a ton of stuff with those extra keys.

Harven

Commander
Jul 28, 2016
Yea, i suck at analogies.
To put it simply, auto aim guns are in general low or no skill.
IF for example its aim assist where you point the weapon and it hits all targets in the general area of your crosshair then its a low skill since it lowers the skill needed to hit a target.
Like instead of aiming at the doorbell you aim at the door.
On the other hand if its full on auto aim then that can be classified as no skill. (anti skill)
Why?
You are giving the controler to the machine and having it do your job for you.
But isnt that just like auto aim turrets?
No, not really for a simple reason: its an object we dont have control over and are not supposed to that does its job no matter what we do.
Now yes, its job is to attack any enemy that comes near it to a certain range but mines do that too (albeit they do that in a smaller range) and i dont recall anyone commenting that mines are anti skill.
So to summ it up, auto aim turrets are not anti skill and auto aim weapons are.
What you are saying doesnt really make sense to me. I already read all your replies and I disagree. Both, guns and turrets have exactly the same purposes, and thats what its importsnt in this topic. You might see the details which is the fact that one is being controlled by a human being and the other one isnt. But at the end, both are for the exact same purpose. So, no, there no big difference between auto turrets and auto aim guns.

The problem is not the auto aiming. That doesnt remove skill. The problem is how they will balance this sort of mechanics. Thats what we should see.

If there is auto aiming there should obviously be some balance. Turrets for instance, the way they are balanced is that they are normally extremely weak. And for a character that a person is controlling, the way it is normally balanced is that they normally lack mobility or some kind of punishment for having such weapons. For instance, overwatch, Symmetra. The way it is balanced is that she lacks how far her weapon can deal damage, how weak can she be if there are no turrets around her, and how easy is she to get killed.

So at the end, the problem is not whether it is okey for turrets to auto aim and not okey for players to have auto aiming just because, no reason at all. The problem is how it is gonna be balanced if we get to get auto targeting. What are its disvantages, and advantages, thsts it. It should be done properly. Just as any other type of ability. Big AoE abilities can also be called anti skill, but not if the character is properly balanced, for instance Bastion from Overwatch, he can literally kill you in less than a second, but hey, he also cant move in turret mode and he is extremely weak.

So, every character/ability/weapon should make the player feel in a way OP in its own ways, because thats what makes it fun to play with those things, is just every character/ability/weapon should also have its obvious cons to it. Ok I wanna be super tanky, but hey, thst means you might be really weak dmg wise, or reslly slow, or etc... but you will feel like an unkillable god in fights. Etc...

It is important to understand that absolutely every mechanic in a game can potentially become an ‘’Anti skill’’ mechanic. Is just that the easiest to criticize, and the most ‘’obvious’’, is the auto aiming, in Shooters. As I said before, AoE guns/abilities, Healing guns/Abilities, shields of all sorts, mobility abilities or anything that improves mobility, stealth abilities, to even a pet, and also auto aiming, all of them can become anti skill, but is not them, is the way they are implemented. The most important and succesful games have some sort of auto aiming, because auto aiming is not the problem, they found a way to make it work, as they found ways to make evrything else work. LoL, Overwatch, Fortnite (but they couldnt make it work so they removed it remporarily), etc...

So yeah, there should really be no problem at all with auto aiming as long as is fun and balanced.

———-

And about the mainc topic, I love the idea! Would be really awesome to have some sort of control over each gun. Maybe lock players in front of you, but if they move out of certain range, like behind you, or too far away, whichever player moved away is unlocked and that gun aiming the player that moved away goes back at attacking the main target or it simply breaka the auto aiming. But love the idea! Gotta sleep.

Last edited:

Torgue_Joey

Kaiju Slayer
KAIJU 'SPLODER
Jul 27, 2016
Germany
That + Couple pedals for movement control. Sounds good.

Now that we're on it, I want to aim the shoulder weapon independently using my sight. With a fancy laser. I like the predators.
TOBII EYE TRACKER TO CONTROL THE SHOULDER MOUNTED WEAPON.

FREAKY SET UP.

The problem is not the auto aiming. That doesnt remove skill. The problem is how they will balance this sort of mechanics. Thats what we should see.

If there is auto aiming there should obviously be some balance. Turrets for instance, the way they are balanced is that they are normally extremely weak. And for a character that a person is controlling, the way it is normally balanced is that they normally lack mobility or some kind of punishment for having such weapons. For instance, overwatch, Symmetra. The way it is balanced is that she lacks how far her weapon can deal damage, how weak can she be if there are no turrets around her, and how easy is she to get killed.

So at the end, the problem is not whether it is okey for turrets to auto aim and not okey for players to have auto aiming just because, no reason at all. The problem is how it is gonna be balanced if we get to get auto targeting. What are its disvantages, and advantages, thsts it. It should be done properly. Just as any other type of ability. Big AoE abilities can also be called anti skill, but not if the character is properly balanced, for instance Bastion from Overwatch, he can literally kill you in less than a second, but hey, he also cant move in turret mode and he is extremely weak.
THE BALANCE IS PARTLY ALREADY THERE.
PLAYERS ARE CAPABLE OF AIMING AT HEADS, WEAKSPOT AND NUTZ.
TURRETS JUST SHOOT AT RABBITS. NOT CARING ABOUT AMMO AND WHERE IT AIM. IT JUST GO BLAM BLAM BLAM. BLAM.

NEED MORE BALANCE?
TURRETS ONLY FUNCTION WHEN PLAYER STAYS WITHIN RANGE.

MR.Classy

May 16, 2018
What you are saying doesnt really make sense to me. I already read all your replies and I disagree. Both, guns and turrets have exactly the same purposes, and thats what its importsnt in this topic. You might see the details which is the fact that one is being controlled by a human being and the other one isnt. But at the end, both are for the exact same purpose. So, no, there no big difference between auto turrets and auto aim guns.

So, every character/ability/weapon should make the player feel in a way OP in its own ways, because thats what makes it fun to play with those things, is just every character/ability/weapon should also have its obvious cons to it. Ok I wanna be super tanky, but hey, thst means you might be really weak dmg wise, or reslly slow, or etc... but you will feel like an unkillable god in fights. Etc...

It is important to understand that absolutely every mechanic in a game can potentially become an ‘’Anti skill’’ mechanic. Is just that the easiest to criticize, and the most ‘’obvious’’, is the auto aiming, in Shooters. As I said before, AoE guns/abilities, Healing guns/Abilities, shields of all sorts, mobility abilities or anything that improves mobility, stealth abilities, to even a pet, and also auto aiming, all of them can become anti skill, but is not them, is the way they are implemented. The most important and succesful games have some sort of auto aiming, because auto aiming is not the problem, they found a way to make it work, as they found ways to make evrything else work. LoL, Overwatch, Fortnite (but they couldnt make it work so they removed it remporarily), etc...

So yeah, there should really be no problem at all with auto aiming as long as is fun and balanced.

———-

And about the mainc topic, I love the idea! Would be really awesome to have some sort of control over each gun. Maybe lock players in front of you, but if they move out of certain range, like behind you, or too far away, whichever player moved away is unlocked and that gun aiming the player that moved away goes back at attacking the main target or it simply breaka the auto aiming. But love the idea! Gotta sleep.
Ok just to clarify, the discussion never was about removing autoaiming weapons or anything of the sort.
It was a simple question of weather we see autoaim weapons as low skill and if we do, do we view auto aim turrets the same way.
I dont think auto aim or any other feature thats not a needle thin skill shot should be removed, if we did that, that would pretty much ruin almost every game in existance.
What i was trying to say with those posts was my view on the skill needed to use those two damage sources to their full potential and i stand by my word that altho they are theoreticly the same, turrets need more skill to use than auto aim weapons.
And im not talking about balance of those weapons since i assumed it was obvious i wasnt using auto aim 50cal machine guns or anything like that as an example.