GOODIES for viewing streams after launch

POE

Firstclaimer
Omega Founder
Sep 24, 2016
Borderlands has a twitch extension for viewers to view gear of the streamer they are watching. Also they have a chance to get a gun from special red chests when a streamer opens one. If you want to see what this looks like here is a link

I think it's a fun way to get items and could be used in em8er. What do you think about it?

zdoofop

Firstclaimer
Jul 26, 2016
Noneofyourbeeswaxistan
Borderlands has a twitch extension for viewers to view gear of the streamer they are watching. Also they have a chance to get a gun from special red chests when a streamer opens one. If you want to see what this looks like here is a link

I think it's a fun way to get items and could be used in em8er. What do you think about it?
I don't know if there will be chests in Em8er. However, this is an interesting mechanic to consider. Perhaps instead of twitch, Em8er should make use of DLive, as I suspect by the time of its release, DLive will be the more popular platform. I'm not the authority on this however, Big G is, so whichever one he chooses, we will know it's the right decision.

Now, if you take this mechanic and combine it with the omniframe customization mechanic you get some pretty interesting potential. For instance, say Torgue starts streaming and he's using an omniframe he designed and named, say, destruktikron. If you like the way he plays, you could use this mechanic to add the destruktikron to your list of blueprints (assuming you have the necessary unlocks in the tech tree) so you can craft it for future use, or you could use an pp to search for listings on the trde market. There are probably other things to do with combining these mechanics, but I'm tired and can't think of any.

Just thought of one! now we take the torgue/destruktikron example again but this time he's going offline, but you want to watch more destruktikron gameplay, you could use the mechanic t search for other streamers using the destruktikron, and if there are any, you could click link that gets you to one of the channels that pop up. I guess that doesn't relly combine with the omnifrme customization mechanic, but still.

Last edited:

POE

Firstclaimer
Omega Founder
Sep 24, 2016
Yeah, I don't know how popular it would be. I personaly watch streams on twitch and I got sucked into the whole get loot mechanic. But like you mentioned it can be useful depending how it's implemented. Also people were just interested in the next loot box to get so that can get annoying for the streamer and people just watching. If it was used in Em8er after thumping there could be a reward share or even participation from viewers to make the enemies easier or harder.

Last edited:

Maven

Kaiju Slayer
Max Kahuna
Philanthropist
Jul 26, 2016
Just to clarify, Em-8er will not have loot boxes. This has been confirmed by Grummz, on several occasions.

As for the 'rewards for viewing' system, I'm not really sold on what it has evolved into these days. Several streams employ the 'chance at rewards' mechanic, but it primarily is being used as a means to boost viewership numbers. This leads to 'botting' (in a broad sense) where folks simply leave a stream running in the background in order to have a chance at rewards, without actually participating in the stream. Not to point blame at them, it does help the streamer get views, and who wouldn't like free loot.

The extension to view 'gear', or 'build' in this case, would indeed be a neat feature.

POE

Firstclaimer
Omega Founder
Sep 24, 2016
I know Em8er doesn't have loot boxes and i'm not saying it should. I'm just discussing the extension as an idea. Borderlands has implemented a chance to win from viewing a stream mechanic and I can see that could be a form of gambling for time watching but it's not a sit there and get something. When the event of the streamer opening a chest or "loot box" happens you have to opt in by clicking the on screen prompt and if you win you choose the weapon you want. However this could be abused by having multiple streams open but I don't know if the extension for borderlands lets you enter multiple giveaways on multiple streams. I agree that viewing of stats and gear would be a cool thing.

Edit: I mentioned "loot box" in post 3 but these are just in game chests that have guns, shields, grenades, etc. The giveaway event is also a timed event to opt into and if you win something there is a 10 or so second timer to choose a item. But as that game isn't out untill later in the year it was interesting to get a chance at getting a piece of gear. I don't know the effectiveness of the items given out as actually playing the game would probably be a better way to get loot in that game.

Last edited:

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
It sounds like a neat idea this viewing thing but i dislike signing up to things for example like warframe
Have to have a amazon account and set to prime and have twitch it can just be annoying to get special stuff like that.

Guess it could be viewed on discord?
I still prefer the forum !!!