Glow variations

Sy

Nov 16, 2018
sya.li
DisasterIncarnate on Twitch brought up an interesting idea. What if glow effects changed based on in-game activity?

- shooting: rate of fire intensity, reloading, different guns
- movement: walking, running, boosting, gliding, sliding
- resting (strobes)
- damage: shield damage (strobe when hit, weakening or changing when wounded, changing when recharging), armor damage

The glows could be in intensity or color, or there could be dual strips so all sorts of combinations could be possible.

The fact that these could be tied to in-room RGB would make for some spectacular immersion.

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2016
I see things like this a lot in sci-fi but when I think about it I have rarely seen it did in games outside of a few examples. In games it is mostly only done to show emotions. Like a robot girl who normally has whitish-pink eyes having them turn to a dark deep blood red when she is angry or goes into battle mode. Or like how some energy weapons and shields will have the energy they use change color when you are about to run out of charge. But that is it.

Because I do plan on playing at hybrid melee/sniper build in the game. I would love to have highlights on my mecha that would change colors based on what I was doing. Like if I was going into melee mode they would be one color and when I go into sniper more they change to a different color. Besides adding to my personal sense of style, my teammates could use those colors as clues to what I'm going to do without the need to use chat. If they see me in this color it means I'm staying back and sniping but if I'm in this color it means I'm going in for melee stealth kills.

Sy

Nov 16, 2018
sya.li
You're really on to something with the idea that this could help communicate to allies.

--

imagine: being zoomed-in mutes your colors, charging up strobes the rgb from your feet up your frame and into your gun before firing. That's the sort of thing that's done in movies.