GLIDER TUNING BUILD phase 1 - feedback thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sy

Nov 16, 2018
sya.li
My mouse settings got reset and I can't figure out what used to be good. It's too many clicks to get into the configuration screen to test it out again and again.

I don't even have to change settings for other games; what's going on here?

The mouse feels awful no matter what I do, so I'm not going to bother testing.

Nubilus

Omni Ace
Ark Liege
Base Commander
Jul 27, 2016
Germany
Turning and diving is very blocky. Gliding time is nice and smooth. I tend to stall fairly quickly even when on a downward glide.

-E1- Acceleration feels non-existent.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2017
The change of camera angle while gliding has increased the feel of gliding and makes turning and angling flight feel much better and realistic similar to flight in anthem.

however downward speed is still static and capped at a specified level and does not increase no matter the height of beginning flight meaning gravity is not affecting gliding still. to help assist with staying aloft using speed gained from rapid descents.

The change and increase in feeling of swooping and turning is awesome though and I feel like should be kept or improved further upon if more changes are made.

Also transition to gliding is great but default mouse sensitivity of 3.5 is not adequate for decent gliding after maxing out sensitivities though gliding feels amazing minus the lack of downward velocity.

Keep up the great work yall and love the demos as always!

SkilZ

Deepscanner
Aug 24, 2018
I can now actually easily glide around rocks and dive underneath the corals and slightly swoop back up without my wings easily breaking. Really feels good doing it.

Initially I thought Q (jetpack boost?) was changed by making it more faster and versatile but in reality I never really bothered to use it extensively before because gliding felt stiff and you didn't really have any use for it. Now I find myself often trying to combine Q and Gliding to maximize the distance I can travel and keep myself in the air.

I also initially thought the gliding FOV was changed as well that allowed me to see more of the area around but like with the Q ability, I was mistaken. In reality gliding really just felt, in hindsight at least, subpar in comparison because of the short distance I can glide around and how I can't be very nimble while doing so, so I never really cared about gliding FOV until now. In this build, the gliding FOV really helps me easily navigate around the terrain since gliding now actually allows you to glide across the map in one go if you know how to keep a constant speed; Just enough speed that your glider wings won't break.

Diving down doesn't put your mech in an awkward angle anymore so there's that. For the longest time I thought it looked normal until this build came around. You'd think in the last build you're flying in a circular curve but in reality you're just going straight down.

Overall I like these new glider changes and I hope we continue this trend for gliders because they feel a lot better to use compared to the previous iterations.

A few suggestions though:
- I find myself often using Q before gliding or after gliding to keep myself in the air. I wish I could use it while gliding to give myself more momentum while gliding. Zipping around the map is fun

- In relation to the suggestion above, I think it would feel good to the player if their previous momentum before gliding is carried over to gliding so the speed change between "boosting" and "gliding" feels natural and flows naturally.

- Like with some of the replies in this post that pointed it out, it feels really underwhelming for me knowing that going straight down doesn't increase your speed exponentially. Every time I try diving downwards from high up in the air then try to go to a straight angle before I touch the ground and seeing my speed didn't change at all is a very deflating feeling to say the least.

- Out-there suggestion: I wish to be able to use abilities like the missile barrage while mid-flight. I wanna feel like a fighter jet while gliding.

Unrelated (to this build) suggestion:
- You should be able to jetpack dash up and down while midair. Why? Because I want to easily dodge in all directions while firing at the enemies in the ground.

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2017
Gliding feels floaty,there's no real sense of speed or weight of the gravity.In Firefall if you got to slow your character it started to wobble before stalling and if you picked up lots of speed the screen started to shake and it had a subtle sound effect that gave you that sense of speed.

You should feel the drag of the air that slows you down and the gravity that pulls down on you.The way that you leverage these two elements should determine how fast and how far you glide.I think those should be the limiting factors in gliding and not cooldown.

I thing in a game a good implementation of a feature is something that is easy to learn or do but hard to master.
I remember in the early days of Firefall there was a part of the map called Sunken Harbor that wasn't ready so it was walled off behind the melding, the only way to get there was by glider.There was no deployable glider pads(if I remember correctly),the only way to glide was the static ones at watchtowers.

It wasn't something that you could do on the first try,I think it took me 40 mins of repeated attempts before I was able to get to Sunken Harbor.
When I got there I felt a real feel of accomplishment and it made me better at gliding and with subsequent attempts it got easier.

Found a vid of what i was talking about:

I do remember a lot of people complaining that they couldn't fly and that the gliders are broken but my reply was always:Gliders glide,they don't fly.

As for afterburner: in Firefall it was more of a pvp ability,it allow you to better position yourself or close the gap between you and your opponent fast,it also did damage if you hit someone in you path? dono if i remember right.If we have dash what's the point of it?
The current implementation is only good at traveling and combine that with the floaty glider you can cover huge distances,so my question is what's the need for other forms of travel like mounts?

I don't think i should be able to do this:
Ember.jpg

In Firefall there was situations when it was better to use a LGV and situations where it was better to glide,but one didn't exclude the other.

Aug 24, 2016
Worland, Wyoming, USA
I am getting 2 different gliding experiences. If you are above a certain elevation on the map the gliding is smooth, with perfect turning and up down movement. The closer I get to the ground though instead of a smooth glide line when I am doing turns and stuff, I get this zigzag choppy movement that if I was a betting man would signify wind resistance. It would be nice if in glide mode we had a wind resistance gage.

(there is also still no obvious exit button on the login screen)

Jul 27, 2016
Massachusetts
I was just in playing the new demo. yes, I said playing. For an hour. :cool: The Tsi Hu now patrol, attack, and retreat. That was fun. ;-) The chat window is pretty good - no bells. whistles, or frills. You all probably already know this, so not sure if maybe it can't be done in a game - but Discord has an API for embedding their chat window [into a web site] but maybe it can be adapted for embedding into a game? discord.com/developers/docs/intro. I noticed the plasma gun shuts off after 2 or 3 shots (over-heating). Up till now, I had always used the plasma gun, Today I started using the assault rifle. It has a nice feel to it, great for sneaking up behind patrols. I'll try to play some more today. have to work now. :(

Grummz

$6k package
Community Manager
Ember Dev
Jul 25, 2016
I'm glad most seem to enjoy the camera work on turning.

Also, this thread highlighted the issue with dive speed, leveling out, glide distance, etc.

We're using this info to approach Phase 2 of glider tuning. Thank you very much for the feedback!

Expect a Phase 2 drop next week, followed by a Phase 3. It's much better that we get your feedback along the way than to work a long time on something only to find us off-base with everyone.

Grummz

$6k package
Community Manager
Ember Dev
Jul 25, 2016
My mouse settings got reset and I can't figure out what used to be good. It's too many clicks to get into the configuration screen to test it out again and again.

I don't even have to change settings for other games; what's going on here?

The mouse feels awful no matter what I do, so I'm not going to bother testing.
Can you DM me on Discord at some point to talk about your mouse?

zdoofop

Firstclaimer
Jul 26, 2016
Noneofyourbeeswaxistan
I've been replaying Batman: Arkham Knignt recently, and I've thought a lot about how some of the gliding mechanics could be recreated here. I know we're trying to recapture Firefall gliding, not Batman, but many of the mechanics used in this game could solve the problem of fast movement mode in a small(ish) area. For instance, instead of being able to fly infinitely while level, the altitude could need to change as your speed decreases. Also, perhaps diving straight down gives you some momentum to gain a little bit of height.

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
The gliding feels alittle more faster and the turning seems nice too, as others have mentioned going down would like to feel more woosh especially from a greater height.

My mouse was slow at first so went to the options and just retyped 1.0 for the sensitivity and pressed accept it was already 1.0 anyway and after that it was all ok.

Also changed the fps smoothing i think its called, between 60 - 144 this also helped.

A few times noticed some lag in all servers it did not last long about 1-2 seconds, did not have this in previous demos!

Noticed a portal appearing near the big coral shell then it vanished !

I am confident with all the feedback the gliding is going to be amazing by the end of the phases.

The current implementation is only good at traveling and combine that with the floaty glider you can cover huge distances,so my question is what's the need for other forms of travel like mounts?
My guess is options for a different gameplay as an example in mgs v your horsey can get you when air travel is not an option.

Vehicles are good too but they could be easily spotted so mounts are a nice option to have.

Gliders are good imagine though when tsihu have really tough grapplers and even AA turrets then it could be trickier

I also wonder if tsihu would have their own kinds of air units scattered since we always expect ground attacks and that air attack would force the player to risk gliding or use another means of travel ?

Status
Not open for further replies.