Getting Social Interaction Right ideas!

Jul 28, 2016
I think if Ember is looking to break a lot of new ground, it could focus a little more on bridging gaps between the game executable environment and the player's own native world. I found the Fallout Pip-Boy app (join the local network and control your in-game inventory/change weapons and armor from your phone) very intriguing. But I think there are far more opportunities in an online MMO-style environment for innovation here. A few ideas:

A smartphone app to control character details, inventory, or view live in-game maps, as above

Integration with either an existing social network or barebones first-party one, but critically, it must be accessible from outside the game environment. I have never gotten into WOW, but played early Firefall heavily, and Guild Wars 2 as well (and before that, in the distant past, also Maple Story, BUT TELL NO ONE) and often friendships within the game are difficult to maintain because even if you're not going to be actively playing the game, you have to sign into it to communicate, so if you're away from your gaming machine or don't want to sit through loading screens, you're cut off. It just paints a hard line that keeps the in-game relationships from feeling natural or real.

A casual-engagement zone within the game, such as was created by mid-level thumpers in early Firefall. This would be for people wanting to "hang out" with friends and play the game, but who may be looking for more of a social interaction than a high-stakes fight (where XP and resources may be lost) and who may not be 100% focused on the game at all times, but don't want to just stand in-game and wait for a conversation. Some of the most fun I've ever had has been in old Garry's Mod zombie map/mods, where humans are encouraged to fortify and turtle in place while zombies assault them. It's kind of campy and unrealistic, but it builds a sense of predictability and casual fun that MMOs tend to do away with when they carve out strict Pacifist/PVP/PVE areas where either you're 100% in the crosshairs or in perfectly safe.

An area hotspot system, which is something I think early Firefall got right, in both melding events and rare-resource thumping areas. Having regional callout events that brought people together in an area really makes the in-game population feel like a natural ecosystem. It also gives you the ability to scale semi-procedural events like dynamic enemy spawns to a general headcount of players that respond to the event. This is a very natural way to build new friendships when these events have a common (but low-risk) goal that strangers can collaborate towards.

EDIT TO ADD:

A CALENDAR! If there are going to be timed events, or seasonal events, or whatever analog is present in the game, having a simple calendar app (either in-game or out) that syncs with the game world would really help bridge that gap as well. Getting a strike team together for a dungeon run, or collaborating on, say, Baneclaw, has always been rough for me because at best I'll be trying to get everyone on the same page via a forum post or scrolling through chat logs looking for a server-wide announcement, and neither of those things follow me as a player OR integrate into the game world itself. I'm not looking for an Outlook analog, but giving me the ability to see what's coming up in the MMO world (from the perspective of my Guild, the entire server population for server-wide events, and within my existing friends list) would 100% contribute towards keeping people engaged and not missing out (which I did many times during Firefall, when I'd come upon an event that was finishing or had finished, or miss a Baneclaw run that didn't succeed due to lack of people.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2016
Okay I played Maple Story a long time ago (stone age). Talk about grinding. How about voice communication based on range? So if you are within say 10 meters of another player you can chat by voice (or not...option to turn that off).

Heh...

I sit in front of the damn screen enough as it is. It's a good thing I don't have internet on my phone. I find it annoying when people habitually keep checking (just) their social media pages, from wherever they are. Car (the worst). Bed (in the morning and after they've gone to bed). At work...etc.

If people become so addicted that even the developers feel they should try and cater to the needs of such tech-zombies, so those people could hang around the game, even just as spectators in chat, they seriously need a break from it all.

I imagine I'd be one of very few, who would be excited about such a smartphone app. Most players, I'm willing to bet, would jump on it and would be throwing balls at friggin' Pokemons, whilst chatting through a zone-event in Ember, with their characters standing in a safe-spot and they themselves would be sitting in a cafe, waiting for hipster-service.

I agree, though, that the system in Firefall was restricting and unless players exchanged e-mail addresses or Skyped...etc. they could not interact outside (or partially outside) the game, while keeping an eye on it, at the same time. (Whoever came up with the idea that one needs to be friends with another person for 3 days before they could mail them items, was a lunatic.)

Okay I played Maple Story a long time ago (stone age). Talk about grinding. How about voice communication based on range? So if you are within say 10 meters of another player you can chat by voice (or not...option to turn that off).
LOL

You wouldn't even need the /s for shout (in 150m) or /y for yell (400m)...you would just do it and scare the shit out of both the player you'd be yelling at and the people, in reality, around you.

Jul 28, 2016
And one more that kind of ties into the smartphone app or social network idea -- A CALENDAR! If there are going to be timed events, or seasonal events, or whatever analog is present in the game, having a simple calendar app (either in-game or out) that syncs with the game world would really help bridge that gap as well. Getting a strike team together for a dungeon run, or collaborating on, say, Baneclaw, has always been rough for me because at best I'll be trying to get everyone on the same page via a forum post or scrolling through chat logs looking for a server-wide announcement, and neither of those things follow me as a player OR integrate into the game world itself. I'm not looking for an Outlook analog, but giving me the ability to see what's coming up in the MMO world (from the perspective of my Guild, the entire server population for server-wide events, and within my existing friends list) would 100% contribute towards keeping people engaged and not missing out (which I did many times during Firefall, when I'd come upon an event that was finishing or had finished, or miss a Baneclaw run that didn't succeed due to lack of people.

Nubilus

Omni Ace
Ark Liege
Base Commander
Jul 27, 2016
Germany
Neat idea... I remember a fan made app for FF that notified me when my crafting was done... cant remember its name though.
LoL also recently got an app to chat with your friends, so why the hell not make one for Ember?

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
I dont own a phone or tablet i just have a
pc it serves me well i can switch it off as i please and not have it ever
hassle me until i switch it back on again i like it

Would like to see add on's that could be made
then voted for approval to then be implemented in the game

Thorp

Omni Ace
Jul 27, 2016
California, CA
I like the smartphone app idea especially if I could queue crafting stuff without logging in. Perhaps the app could notify friends who are logged in about grouping up or something. I'd log in to do serious stuff however sometimes there isn't enough time to warrant booting the computer to queue crafts then log out minutes later.

My suggestion for a better social interaction experience is more emotes. I find emotes to really help tie me into character and it makes other toons more alive. Instead of watching the same idle animation loops, emotes break up loops and provide visual cues that are a little more human. Dust off their shoulders after a long battle? Enthusiastically wave at someone in the distance? Express boredom by fidgeting without typing in chat? Or maybe to break up the silence you could /sneeze or /cough? Emotes are like adding seasoning to a mediocre soup; the right combination warms even the coldest souls.

Sud Monkey

Base Commander
Base Commander
Jul 28, 2016
I really like that idea. It'd be nice to be able to see what's happening in the game and where without even loading the game.

I'd also like to see a good matchmaking service, particularly for PUGs. I like how in Battlefield I can just join an open squad and tag along for the ride. I like solo play but the really good stuff, more often than not, needs a group.

Thorp

Omni Ace
Jul 27, 2016
California, CA
@Thorp Emotes = animations = expensive :(
unfortunately true and the only game I've played that actually had people using the vast dictionary of emotes was Lotro. Really cool how extensive their emotes list was...is...I wish the game wasn't so dated...

I would have been very happy to purchase emotes in Firefall but the development-hell experience and later loss of emote functionality /sigh.

Last edited:

Beerdog6

Firstclaimer
Aug 1, 2016
I haven't played in SecondLife for awhile, but it did have a phone app. You could log in and have conversations in the area you were in. and move yourself from area to area.
Also it might be possible to crafting as a subprogra. That would be cool to be able to check on a
job.
Emotes are fun. I vote yes for emotes. the more the merrier /dance
I did like the PUG of FF. you would drop a thumper and you would have people appear and help as
you progressed. And you could add them to your squad for credit. Thumper Valley was the best.
Thumpers being dropped all across the valley and massive groups of players getting resources.
Someone pushing the Melding back with a team. Then A dozen more folks would show up and
drop thumpers.

Jul 28, 2016
LOL

You wouldn't even need the /s for shout (in 150m) or /y for yell (400m)...you would just do it and scare the shit out of both the player you'd be yelling at and the people, in reality, around you.
So if you fell asleep in game it would be like this:
"WAKE UP!!!":eek:

Daynen

Aug 3, 2016
Adding more social connectivity to a game is not without risk. The easier it is to communicate, the easier it is for people to abuse such a system. I have to agree with the point made above that having smartphone apps to constantly keep tabs on the game while not playing it can be...obnoxious. Not just for the people around said obsessive, but for the fact that there would be things in game that needed to be watched over the course of hours. I honestly feel that downtime activities which require hours or days to let a progress bar tick down really should be let go. They're no longer activities; they're a blatant stalling mechanic that adds the illusion of content to chain players to the game and inflate average hours played.

Whoops--tangent, sorry. Social access to a game is all well and good, but only in moderation AND in proper concert with the game's design. When a game makes players feel they have to stay constantly connected to it and eagle-eye every passing minute, there's something wrong with the game, to say nothing of the person. Responsible consideration of human behaviors will go a long way towards the health of the game and it's playerbase.

Jul 28, 2016
Now that I've had time to digest my initial ideas, I think what I'm hoping for can best be summed up as ways to avoid "I was on last night, where were you?!", coming from either direction. There are enough fragmented social media platforms out there at the moment that trying to get all your fellow players onto any of them is more or less a lost cause.

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
A casual-engagement zone within the game, such as was created by mid-level thumpers in early Firefall. This would be for people wanting to "hang out" with friends and play the game, but who may be looking for more of a social interaction
Emotes and gestures ingame always fun in a social setting with a seperate hangout tab to join in if you want or change
tab to focus on other things

An area hotspot system, which is something I think early Firefall got right, in both melding events and rare-resource thumping areas. Having regional callout events that brought people together in an area really makes the in-game population feel like a natural ecosystem.
Yes this is cool totally agree with that

A CALENDAR! If there are going to be timed events, or seasonal events, or whatever analog is present in the game, having a simple calendar app (either in-game or out) that syncs with the game world would really help bridge that gap as well.
This is a big yes we all want to know the latest events and stuff happening, for me especially ingame and maybe automated email sent just to remind if they opt for that option.