gender based mecha

Aug 14, 2016
This just kind of a joke thread because I'm board. But what are your thoughts on mecha with a clear gender and that to their advantage?

For example, one of the oldest most famous of things of this nature are the oppai missiles or breast missiles some mecha who are modeled after the female form have. The logic being that breast of the mecha can be used for extra weapons or extra storage. I even remember one example where they stored that the mecha who are modeled after females can fight for a longer time than the mecha modeled after males because they extra engines or fuel tanks in their chest.

Silv3r Shadow

Max Kahuna
Max Kahuna
Kaiju Slayer
Jul 29, 2016
Meh, preferably not lol.
Seen many mecha anime without the generalisation from this and this will probably put the female side of gamers off from playing this game. They might have jumpsuits like D.V.A anyway lol

There will be skins no doubt to make them look more female, I think this is about adding boobs just cause lol

TankHunter678

Jul 26, 2016
lol, that is funny. But there are a few female Gundams, example Nobel Gundam who is modeled after a teenaged school girl. Yes, this is a real thing.
G Gundam is also famous for Neo Holland's Nether Gundam (aka Hurricane Gundam and Windmill Gundam)

Which was rather bad, because since they decided to have their Gundam hide as a windmill for 11 months the pilot never got sufficient combat experience to be able to properly use the thing and would just get steamrolled by every opponent it faced.

Also, the Nobel Gundam that you put up a picture for is specifically based off of Sailor Moon. To be even more specific, Sailor V.

That being said, Mobile Fighter G Gundam itself is based off of Fighting Games (was made because of the Fighting Games boom) and the Super Robot Genre, while still having some of the classic Gundam tech involved. Due to it pulling from the Super Robot genre instead of the Real Robot Genre it was capable of having things like MASTER ASIA THE UNDEFEATED OF THE EAST who could destroy entire mook suit squads using little more then his own body and a bandana while on foot, spirit based combat modes (which would turn the hero gundams gold), German Ninjas, and dull rusty swords instantly glowing and becoming sharp enough to cut entire mobile suits apart just because the wielder obtained a state of inner peace unmoved by emotion.

Aug 14, 2016
G Gundam is also famous for Neo Holland's Nether Gundam (aka Hurricane Gundam and Windmill Gundam)

Which was rather bad, because since they decided to have their Gundam hide as a windmill for 11 months the pilot never got sufficient combat experience to be able to properly use the thing and would just get steamrolled by every opponent it faced.

Also, the Nobel Gundam that you put up a picture for is specifically based off of Sailor Moon. To be even more specific, Sailor V.

That being said, Mobile Fighter G Gundam itself is based off of Fighting Games (was made because of the Fighting Games boom) and the Super Robot Genre, while still having some of the classic Gundam tech involved. Due to it pulling from the Super Robot genre instead of the Real Robot Genre it was capable of having things like MASTER ASIA THE UNDEFEATED OF THE EAST who could destroy entire mook suit squads using little more then his own body and a bandana while on foot, spirit based combat modes (which would turn the hero gundams gold), German Ninjas, and dull rusty swords instantly glowing and becoming sharp enough to cut entire mobile suits apart just because the wielder obtained a state of inner peace unmoved by emotion.
This true. But Gundam was not the first to come up with female fighting mechas nor the idea of using the female form as a weapon. Going back to the breast missiles example if I remember right things like that was started in the back in the 1970's.

The Oppai Missile System is a weapon system used by most of the female robots of the Mazinger series. They usually involve launching a limited amount of missiles from the chest area. The first robot to use this system was Aphrodite A and was used by several subsequent female mechs. In the Mazinger Angels spin-off manga, the Oppai System is much more diverse where besides using a bigger variety of missiles to attack, there are also fans, liquid guns, and storage for melee weapons.

And over the years and generations, different takes on the idea have been made. For example, in Godannar the mecha modeled after females tended to be smaller and less armored than the macha modeled after males. This was because the mecha had the ability to link together. And because some of the female mecha had extra engines and/or powers sources in their chest by linking together they give extra power to more heavily armored and weaponized mechas.

The idea of sexiness as a weapon has been around since the stone age. But fantasy and sci-fi can take the idea and push it to extremes. Hell, even things like Pokemon have abilities like charm and attract that are gender based attacks, they basically make one fall in love with the other is other words using their sex appeal as a weapon.

P.S.
You do know this idea goes both ways. A key example being the mecha in things like Zone Of The Enders. See if you can spot what is different about these mecha that most other mecha don't have.

Makes you think if someone to the word "cockpit" a little to far. lol

Last edited:

TankHunter678

Jul 26, 2016
Both Mazinger and Godannar are Super Robot genre shows.

Female form mechas are exclusively found in Super Robot genre, and completely absent from Real Robot genre. This is due to Real Robot genre mechas being designed as unisex and for mass production (hence why in Gundam the Gundams themselves are Super Prototypes where cost was not a factor and their design is heavily simplified in the mass production variants, most obvious example being the GMs from universal century timeline). Ember mecha design falls under Real Robot genre.

Furthermore, female mechas are really only designed to be paired with a fanservice female character, and if you look at modern anime female giant robot mecha designs have greatly diminished in favor of just more scenes of the pilot, cooler mecha designs, or power armor mecha musume types that emphasis the pilots body.

Also I want to point out: sex appeal would not work as a weapon in Ember. Furthermore all it would do is just attract a crowd that would make our life annoying as all hell, especially in the political/social environment the US is currently in.

Btabc

Veteran
Jul 28, 2016
Florida
www.facebook.com
This true. But Gundam was not the first to come up with female fighting mechas nor the idea of using the female form as a weapon. Going back to the breast missiles example if I remember right things like that was started in the back in the 1970's.

The Oppai Missile System is a weapon system used by most of the female robots of the Mazinger series. They usually involve launching a limited amount of missiles from the chest area. The first robot to use this system was Aphrodite A and was used by several subsequent female mechs. In the Mazinger Angels spin-off manga, the Oppai System is much more diverse where besides using a bigger variety of missiles to attack, there are also fans, liquid guns, and storage for melee weapons.

And over the years and generations, different takes on the idea have been made. For example, in Godannar the mecha modeled after females tended to be smaller and less armored than the macha modeled after males. This was because the mecha had the ability to link together. And because some of the female mecha had extra engines and/or powers sources in their chest by linking together they give extra power to more heavily armored and weaponized mechas.

The idea of sexiness as a weapon has been around since the stone age. But fantasy and sci-fi can take the idea and push it to extremes. Hell, even things like Pokemon have abilities like charm and attract that are gender based attacks, they basically make one fall in love with the other is other words using their sex appeal as a weapon.

P.S.
You do know this idea goes both ways. A key example being the mecha in things like Zone Of The Enders. See if you can spot what is different about these mecha that most other mecha don't have.

Makes you think if someone to the word "cockpit" a little to far. lol
LOL this made me laugh, but the video reminds me of IS (Infinite Stratos) for some odd reason?!

Aug 14, 2016
Both Mazinger and Godannar are Super Robot genre shows.

Female form mechas are exclusively found in Super Robot genre, and completely absent from Real Robot genre. This is due to Real Robot genre mechas being designed as unisex and for mass production (hence why in Gundam the Gundams themselves are Super Prototypes where cost was not a factor and their design is heavily simplified in the mass production variants, most obvious example being the GMs from universal century timeline). Ember mecha design falls under Real Robot genre.

Furthermore, female mechas are really only designed to be paired with a fanservice female character, and if you look at modern anime female giant robot mecha designs have greatly diminished in favor of just more scenes of the pilot, cooler mecha designs, or power armor mecha musume types that emphasis the pilots body.

Also I want to point out: sex appeal would not work as a weapon in Ember. Furthermore all it would do is just attract a crowd that would make our life annoying as all hell, especially in the political/social environment the US is currently in.
This is all true, but I'm not asking if you think gender-based mecha would be good for us to use in the game (although it would cool to see some super robots in the game too. After we do have the harvester mechas), your idea on the concept as a whole. Why would they exist, how they work, and what is the logic behind them?

For example, part of the logic behind making gender-based mehca is do to the control systems. The reason being that if you control the mecha with your body and/or brainwaves than the closer there the mecha fits in with your own body or how you view yourself the better you'll control it. So like if a person had a self-imaging of themselves as being an animal and they control the mecha using their brainwaves than making the mecha match the form they have if their head only helps them to control and master it better.

Does this logic always makes sense? Nope. But the fact that is does follow some logic and can add to things like the plot does mean something. It is not always about things like fan service, although in a lot of cause everything boils down to that on some level no matter what is. Like how they always have to have one show in an otherwise not fan-service focused thing that takes place at the beach or in a hot spring or some other such place just so the characters have a reason to run around with little to no cloths on.

TankHunter678

Jul 26, 2016
What you mean like how in Infinite Stratos is only one "male" mecha (really only male pilot) lol.
Technically the frames used for the IS units in Infinite Stratos series are gender neutral. The IS Cores however due to a quirk by the designer only accept women, the only men that can be accepted need to be of the Orimura family as the designer only cares about her projects, her little sister, and the orimura family. Everyone else, especially men, may as well be insects to her.

Aug 14, 2016
Technically the frames used for the IS units in Infinite Stratos series are gender neutral. The IS Cores however due to a quirk by the designer only accept women, the only men that can be accepted need to be of the Orimura family as the designer only cares about her projects, her little sister, and the orimura family. Everyone else, especially men, may as well be insects to her.
Yes, I was trying to make a joke about the anima and animus (the male and female aspects of the psyche). I was trying to hint that real reason he can use it was because of his animus and/or his is just so in touch with his feminist side the controlling system that blocks out men from using it just sees him as another woman. lol

This because you can't do a system like that based on DNA alone. This because biometrics can be copied and faked to allow other people use something that should but locked to one person. Even more so if you are doing based on gender because it would have to take into account people with more than 3 chromosomes (examples, XXY, XYY, XXYYY, and so one.) They are rare but common enough to put a flew in the system. This is not even counting things like human chimeras (people with more than one DNA in their bodies. It possible for a mother and/or father to show up as not being related to their own kids in normal DNA test because it is possible human chimeras to the DNA that made some parts of the other body be different from other parts, including things like eggs and sperm.)

But having a system based on someone's is harder to break because even twins and clones don't even have the same psyche. People born and raised in the same way and have every part of their lives mirror each other don't have the same psyche.

Last edited:

TankHunter678

Jul 26, 2016
Yes, I was trying to make a joke about the anima and animus (the male and female aspects of the psyche). I was trying to hint that real reason he can use it was because of his animus and/or his is just so in touch with his feminist side the controlling system that blocks out men from using it just sees him as another woman. lol

This because you can't do a system like that based on DNA alone. This because biometrics can be copied and faked to allow other people use something that should but locked to one person. Even more so if you are doing based on gender because it would have to take into account people with more than 3 chromosomes (examples, XXY, XYY, XXYYY, and so one.) They are rare but common enough to put a flew in the system. This is not even counting things like human chimeras (people with more than one DNA in their bodies. It possible for a mother and/or father to show up as not being related to their own kids in normal DNA test because it is possible human chimeras to the DNA that made some parts of the other body be different from other parts, including things like eggs and sperm.)

But having a system based on someone's is harder to break because even twins and clones don't even have the same psyche. People born and raised in the same way and have every part of their lives mirror each other don't have the same psyche.
Any woman could use the system while only males from a specific household could use it. Further the cores could not be spoofed because the cores themselves are sentient. This was why Ichika was the only male on the planet who could use an IS.

Also the suits, including Ichika's, which was a plot situation that was used, could be stolen and used by any woman with IS aptitude. DNA, psyche, neither of those mattered which was why it was such an enigma that could not be figured out to make the IS cores accept male pilots. Not to mention the cores Black Box protection is so complex and confounding that only the maker who invented them is capable of actually doing more then accessing very limited data areas.

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
unisex mechs for anyone and if they want to customize for the boobsies and the other parts they can add some personal touches. That could be the same for the actual pilot too but what would be a unisex voice ... got me thinking about pitch
when ever you watch tennis players hit a ball the woman make a good higher pitch grunting then the males who have more of a belly roar sound this is very interesting.

Torgue_Joey

Kaiju Slayer
KAIJU 'SPLODER
Jul 27, 2016
Germany
SO MY BELOVED SYBIAN CAN HAZ F*CKING TITS? WOOOOOOO ROCKET LACTATING ROBO TITS. LET'S PLODE THOSE BLOODY RABBITS WITH THIS NEW F*CKING DEFINITION OF "BOMBSHELL"

(GOTTA EDIT THIS SHIT LATER ON PC, NEEDS MORE ORANGE AND EXPLOSION)

Aug 14, 2016
Any woman could use the system while only males from a specific household could use it. Further the cores could not be spoofed because the cores themselves are sentient. This was why Ichika was the only male on the planet who could use an IS.

Also the suits, including Ichika's, which was a plot situation that was used, could be stolen and used by any woman with IS aptitude. DNA, psyche, neither of those mattered which was why it was such an enigma that could not be figured out to make the IS cores accept male pilots. Not to mention the cores Black Box protection is so complex and confounding that only the maker who invented them is capable of actually doing more then accessing very limited data areas.
I don't remember them being sentient. I might have to rewatch it, I clearly forgot things about the show.

But you reminded me of the topic of sentient and semi-sentient mecha who have a gender. Even if the mecha itself is made to be unisex the A.I., mind, or spirit helping to control and/or power it can be male or female. In those cases regardless of the design of the mecha many people, myself included, will go by the gender of sentient consciousness within the mecha. Even if it is just a semi-sentient or semi-conscious A.I. program or it is something born out of the mecha absorbing mental and emotional energies of the pilot(s) allowing it act on its own sometimes.

Oddly in real life people give genders to objects all the time. For example, most sea ships are named after women or members of the crew all talk about the ship as if it has feminine qualities. A lot of people even name their cars and when talking about them will say things like "he" or "she" rather than "it". This also reflected in the idea that beloved objects can absorb some of the spiritual energy of their owners to somehow gain personalities of their own. Even goes as far as stating things like the object chooses who its next owner/master will be by not letting anyone use it full abilities or just refusing to work for anyone it doesn't like.

Last edited:

Btabc

Veteran
Jul 28, 2016
Florida
www.facebook.com
What you mean like how in Infinite Stratos is only one "male" mecha (really only male pilot) lol.
Meaning how the legs go into points (no feet). The whole art of that piece just feels similar to IS or was based off of IS? I wasn't getting into the whole gender aspect at all. The video just looked like something you'd see off of that anime as well.

Aug 14, 2016
Meaning how the legs go into points (no feet). The whole art of that piece just feels similar to IS or was based off of IS? I wasn't getting into the whole gender aspect at all. The video just looked like something you'd see off of that anime as well.
Really I see the no feet thing most often when it comes to things that are designed to be always be flying and floating. They never walk or run at most they'll hover just above the ground and water. And when they power down or the pilot leaves they kneel down, sit down, or just stand there. Although the option to always be standing / floating more only an option of the system it uses to fly doesn't really take much power. Kind of like how in Star Wars there some vehicles that are always floating even when they are turned off as if it takes no power from them float because it is a passive thing.

Hmm... now I kind of want to know where the no feet thing came from.