Gear "Destruction" Mechanics - Optionally Donating Toward Repairs for Other Players?

Morihaus

Deepscanner
Apr 30, 2018
Maryland
So getting your gear too damaged for use is planned to make it to where you need to repair it again, using common exchange resources. Could we also have an option of doing "repair jobs" for other players?

Maybe have a "queue" put into the nearest base. For example, they could view the nearby player's recently broken items in something like a "to-do list," showing all that still needs to be repaired. Then players in the base there could choose to spare some of their own resources to directly increase their durability. They could be able to earn a small reward for helping out and lending their resources, like maybe a small goodie bag with random common omniframe+item paints, food items that you eat for buffs, or even fish (fishing was mentioned as a planned feature once I believe). Possibly give players a "donation token" item, that they could then turn in to a mechanic NPC for that goodie bag (or any reward). Could even give bigger rewards for "sugar daddies," like rare resources and cosmetic items, for those who choose to give the most at the end of each month.

I was thinking it would be fun to implement a mini-game system for the repair process, as well. I remember Pirates of the Caribbean Online (now known by it's private server's name, The Legend of Pirates Online) use to have mini-games for the players to repair their ships at sea. They'd receive higher rewards and more ship hull "healing" based on their mini-game completion time. There was even repair shops in some areas, where you could play the repair mini-games for money. It stuck out as one of my favorite mechanics in TLOPO, and made it feel really unique to other MMORPGs. This is actually where I got the idea, but of course I expect devs to put their own spin on the concept.
The below video shows the repair minigames in it's introduction.

A player repair mechanic could really add extra depth to the player interactions. Have a leader-board for most donations toward repairs, giving rewards for doing so, and let the more well-off players help those in need of resources.

**EDIT: Cleared up some details on the repair system that's planned**

Last edited:

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
I imagine a nanobot attempting to hit the corrupted nanobots and avoid radioactive spheres if you survive your nanobot has prevented a greater issue perhaps there are other nanobots to help you!

This one could imagine something like this for thumpr repairs even meks

Wyntyr

Omni Ace
Ark Liege
Jul 26, 2016
Florida
Perhaps a mini-game of sorts for gear creation could be interesting but I feel that in the heat of battle peeps can go to the resource drop off point to add resources to the base for repairs. Kinda like taking a health potion, easy to do, but being that this is a shooter having to leave the fight to drop in resources could be an issue.

Hmmm...maybe different resource points for different areas of the base to be repaired so knowing where those are is the mini game. If a base is under attack and section A is damaged but not section B and you go to section B the RP won't let you donate resources as that section doesn't need repaired. That way you aren't wasting your resources for something that doesn't need any. Also when someone asks about it the Veteran players would be able to tell them to go to a different point.