Game Assets

Sep 24, 2016
In Firefall, the 'Texture Streaming' feature isn't that great, so I was just wondering if the textures would be included in the full download of the game. Also, I think the textures should be created as a vector asset, so that the textures can be resized without any kind of quality loss. I think we should be able to choose what size texture the launcher downloads in the launcher's settings. Also, I think the audio should have a bitrate of 320 kbps.

NoahDVS

Deepscanner
Jul 27, 2016
In Firefall, the 'Texture Streaming' feature isn't that great, so I was just wondering if the textures would be included in the full download of the game. Also, I think the textures should be created as a vector asset, so that the textures can be resized without any kind of quality loss. I think we should be able to choose what size texture the launcher downloads in the launcher's settings. Also, I think the audio should have a bitrate of 320 kbps.
I haven't heard of any game engines that can use vector graphics for textures. With all the textures a video game has, it may not even be practical right now, but it would definitely be cool in the future (not Ember's, just in general) if developers can make detailed SVGs for textures.
320 KBPS isn't necessary, especially if you're using an audio codec newer than MP3 and there are currently audio codecs that are significantly better than MP3 such as AAC or OPUS. If space isn't a big concern, they could even just use uncompressed audio for short sounds, but that's pretty obvious. I'd trust this kind of decision to the developers because it's really more important to them than it is to us.

Jul 27, 2016
Also, I think the textures should be created as a vector asset, so that the textures can be resized without any kind of quality loss.
I think that's a digital impossibility. Not impossibly but extremely stupid to do in a game where speed and performance matters.

Have you ever loaded a huge rasterized ---> vector file before? There is just simply way too much detail in order to calculate and display in vector form. If you don't have a loaded computer, your machine is going to chug and the program will likely crash on you. Happened too many times during college. (on MACS too fyi).

http://gamedev.stackexchange.com/questions/30111/why-dont-more-games-use-vector-art

I dunno. Just do some googling on vectors in gaming and you'll get more of a better response.

NoahDVS

Deepscanner
Jul 27, 2016
Using vector graphics for GUIs in the game could still work though. If a GUI could scale to look good and well proportioned at whatever resolution the player was using (maybe not very old resolutions), that would be pretty sweet.