Friday Update - Texturing Gatestriders

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grummz

$6k package
Community Manager
Ember Dev
Jul 25, 2016
Here we go! Adding textures to the Gatestriders now. Still not real hair (What you see is temp), but we will be using modern hair techniques instead of "good old helmet hair."

Enjoy these shots of our WIP!

We use a program called Substance Painter to quickly texture all our models. You got to see a stream of Joe using it to texture a crate before. Its a really neat way to paint realistic materials like skin and leather and metal onto your models. It can even automatically weather the surface you are painting, chipping away paint at edges, etc.

Enjoy and see you next week!

Terricon4

Base Commander
Base Commander
I'm not used to substance painter so I'm not certain it's not just showing a live preview using current scene lighting there or something, but just to be sure.... You aren't pre baking in the lighting into the diffuse texture are you?

Also, I keep trying to zoom in on these.... NEED HIGH RES CLOSE UPS TO SATISFY CURIOSITY!

EDIT: And how come we don't get a nice shot of the guys ass huh?

0V3RKILL

Tsi-Hu Hunter
Aug 5, 2016
love it....but is it me or the man's hands are disproportional. I wouldn't say anything if the art was like brink. cause it was ment to be disproportional. But, I see the girl so well proportional that worries me cause they don't look like they belong in the same universe. Just pointing that out. Though I believe someone already have before.

Torgue_Joey

Kaiju Slayer
KAIJU 'SPLODER
Jul 27, 2016
Germany
love it....but is it me or the man's hands are disproportional. I wouldn't say anything if the art was like brink. cause it was ment to be disproportional. But, I see the girl so well proportional that worries me cause they don't look like they belong in the same universe. Just pointing that out. Though I believe someone already have before.
SINCE APES ARE ALREADY OUR FIRST COUSIN IN LINE OF OUR DNA. WE WENT WITH OUR SECOND COUSIN.
THE GORILLA.
BECAUSE MUSCLE, SMASH HANDS AND BADASSES.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2016
I was thinking that the arm lengths and hand sizes are due to the Mek frame they are using. Perhaps the gravity of varying planets also weigh in on how their bodies are developed over the years. Planets with stronger gravity lend towards developing bigger muscles or stretching of the arms and hands....

But the suits themselves are looking really nice. Great job as always @Joe Solo and @Grummz

Torgue_Joey

Kaiju Slayer
KAIJU 'SPLODER
Jul 27, 2016
Germany
I was thinking that the arm lengths and hand sizes are due to the Mek frame they are using. Perhaps the gravity of varying planets also weigh in on how their bodies are developed over the years. Planets with stronger gravity lend towards developing bigger muscles or stretching of the arms and hands....

But the suits themselves are looking really nice. Great job as always @Joe Solo and @Grummz
WE CAN TRY THAT OUT. BECOME A MINER IN MECH AND WAVE OUR ARMS AROUND ALL DAY

Terricon4

Base Commander
Base Commander
Heh, when I look at his hands with that material on them I think of the medic from TF2.

Mahdi

Firstclaimer
Jul 26, 2016
South Carolina, US
The suits are looking fabulous. Nice looking program too. Thank you for these updates!

Are we going to get a terrain update anytime soon? Was thinking of Grummz mentioning working on rocks. Been awhile since we have seen some of the environmental art for the game.

Or am I getting ahead of another update? :p

AkiraTea

Deepscanner
Jan 27, 2017
United States
The male hasn't changed sense the last update. He's still a gorilla, Popeye the sailer man mutant. Please get him in line with the original art concept and female design. He needs to look like a human with realistic proportions, at the very least make it look like the male exists in the same world the female.

Jul 28, 2016
Something to keep in mind about the male body frame is that if you really examine the male and female, their arm lengths are the same but the male has a larger 'body' frame than the female.

Bigger arms, bigger chest, a bit taller than the female... so while it does look disproportionate to the female, it is larger and a bit taller.

0V3RKILL

Tsi-Hu Hunter
Aug 5, 2016
I promise that the chars don't look so creepy when they are in 3D and not "peeled"
that sounds good. so far my favorite is the woman. so realistic. the man reminds me of brink's characters.

almost like a slight abstract look of a human being. that's why I was mentioning it. None of the two are wrong. Just when you look at them together feels like they don't belong together or they were suppose to be in different games. But, like you said, I haven't seen it in 3D. I take your word for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.