Friday Update - Omniframe Tweaks Done

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grummz

$6k package
Community Manager
Ember Dev
Jul 25, 2016
Okay...so I've been working with Tommaso on tweaking the Omniframe Mk I to improve the design based on the feedback you gave us. The majority of you wanted us to tweak the original frame rather than create the Mk II, which some of you felt was more generic and less mech-like.

After exchanging some drawing, photoshops and references, we finally had a direction we thought was working well. Tommaso then used Joe's great model as a starting point and began to tweak and push and pull and create new parts based on our new design.

Working from the original model saved a lot of time. You all were right: we could save a lot of time taking the original vision and doing a few tweaks instead of going with a brand new design. So we tweaked proportions, beefed up the legs, added a full seat and thicker spine and a few other goodies.

We hope you like the result as much as we do! Joe and I are thrilled, and Tommaso really gave it his all despite being sick with the flu.

Here it is:

Note that we added rollcage to the whole open cockpit, to better support the upper torso. The legs are also completely redesigned. The seat is a racing seat and instead of mechanical links to the arms, we have mechanical sleeves that the operated uses to create "mirror movements" in the MEK's arms.

Overall I feel like it turned out well. The entire thing is more believable, as if it could actually exist. It blends Japanese mecha design aesthetics with western real-life robotics similar to Boston Dynamic's walkers. An additional goal was to also bring the design of the MEK much more in-line with the THMPR, so that the two would feel like they came from the same MEK universe.

Merry Christmas, everyone! No update next week as are all on vacation. Enjoy these renders and let us know what you think!

- Grummz & the Em-8ER Team

Terricon4

Base Commander
Base Commander
Feels too tiny, and too normal in its legs, shoulder/engine sections are gone/small/smoothed over too...

Overall it went from feeling like a large high powered MECHA to being a simple exosuit.

My overall excitement when seeing this was quickly turned into a sudden sense of disappointment and then a bit of a familiar sense to when I see april fools posts but with no such hope here.

I don't want to say it's bad, but it lacks the uniqueness and form that made me really like the original mk1s art and design (and I don't just mean little surface panels, colors, sleakyness, and other bits that on a lower poly could be nothing but texture, I mean the larger structure and form and how it all was proportioned that made for its overall silhouette). It looked like it had reall weight in parts of it, its broader shoulders letting the arms swing about in ways a human proportioned unit can't that looks more interesting, the relatively small lower legs adding to the idea that it can half glide over surfaces when mixed with the giant engines that took up half the upper shoulders area on the old one...

So overall I just of go, "eh" and don't really care much one way or the other when I see this piece. Kind of like a lot of random deviant art posts or other things you scroll through where sure it looks ok, but it doesn't grab your attention and make you really stop and look at it or possibly favorite it.

Arca9

Deepscanner
Aug 5, 2016
Much better. Thanks for listening to the community feedback. I personally feel the center of the feet could use more width, but other than that I couldn't find anything I didn't like.

Additionally, keep both designs and allow the user to choose which explains he or she would like to use during character creation. No model is a bad model, just another option.

Maven

Kaiju Slayer
Max Kahuna
Philanthropist
Jul 26, 2016
Love the overall re-work. Its taken the best of both MkI and MKII.

I'll still say the legs below the knee look a tad skinny compared to the rest of the frame, especially when compared top the thighs, the effect is kinda jarring. Somehow reminds me of Oscar Pistorius. Though I'm unsure whether thats down to the viewing angle.

A little beefing up perhaps?

CoolHandle

Firstclaimer
Ark Liege
Jan 26, 2017
That is awesome! Definitely love the roll cage/spine beef-up, and the legs are much better.

I personally like the arm sleeves, but are they necessary? Could the sensors be incorporated into the Gee Suit for people who don’t want the sleeves and/or particularly like their Gee Suit?

Grummz

$6k package
Community Manager
Ember Dev
Jul 25, 2016
The engine pods are still prominent. You are just seeing it from a "below" angle so you don't see them. The wings are also promiment. Once we add the "hunched" pose I believe the look will improve for you.

Feels too tiny, and too normal in its legs, shoulder/engine sections are gone/small/smoothed over too...

Overall it went from feeling like a large high powered MECHA to being a simple exosuit.

My overall excitement when seeing this was quickly turned into a sudden sense of disappointment and then a bit of a familiar sense to when I see april fools posts but with no such hope here.

I don't want to say it's bad, but it lacks the uniqueness and form that made me really like the original mk1s art and design (and I don't just mean little surface panels, colors, sleakyness, and other bits that on a lower poly could be nothing but texture, I mean the larger structure and form and how it all was proportioned that made for its overall silhouette). It looked like it had reall weight in parts of it, its broader shoulders letting the arms swing about in ways a human proportioned unit can't that looks more interesting, the relatively small lower legs adding to the idea that it can half glide over surfaces when mixed with the giant engines that took up half the upper shoulders area on the old one...

So overall I just of go, "eh" and don't really care much one way or the other when I see this piece. Kind of like a lot of random deviant art posts or other things you scroll through where sure it looks ok, but it doesn't grab your attention and make you really stop and look at it or possibly favorite it.

Status
Not open for further replies.