Frame Mobility Breakdown

Might have (definitely) been mentioned, before, somewhere. Somewhere-shire. But, I just wanted to create another breakdown of how mobility would work with the three frame-types and any builds/tweaks between them.

Nothing complicated or too unreasonable, really.

Obviously, in terms of speed (movement>running>sprinting, skimming and flying) the Sly-Dancer should be considerably faster than the other two. Maybe starting from as high a difference as, say, 1.5x that of the medium and heavy frames. Which could be further upgraded (built) to be even 2.0x that, max. Their thrusters (specifically the two burners over and above on both sides of the head) should enable it to manuever faster, finer and longer, in the air than the other frames. They could have a specific backwards, forwards and sideways dash ability that would be different from simply firing their jetpacks while pulling in one direction. Imagine the typical dash move from third-person or even side-scrolling action-platformers. Like, Mega Man X. Now, translate that onto a 3d plain and you could shoot not only forwards, but backwards and sideways, while facing (and shooting) forwards. So, you don't actually turn around in the direction you're dodging and you can essentially back-pedal while shooting at a target, even. This isn't anything new. I recall some Japenese mecha-games having maneuvering like that (e.g.: Nier Automata).

What could present more work, would be designing an energy-allocation/regulation system, located in the chassis (that would, of course, be a modifiable part), which would allow for fine-tuning for how the thrusters would work. And this is something I have, indeed, mentioned, already. Every frame, not just exclusively lighter ones, could choose to either have quick bursts of thrusts or continues burns for these types of manuevers. Depending on the weight-class, these thrust could use differing amounts of energy. But even those builds that would just dash, skip, slide, glide, jump, leap...etc., in quick burst couldn't do it forever. They, too, would have to pay attention and not accidentally deplete their ever-recharging reserves. Same as if they had been using longer, sustained burns to jet around. For balance's sake. Some games actually give dash-charges, like 2 to 5, that if used in quick succession, one would have to wait for, at least, one charge to be available, before they could dash/dodge, again.

Heavy frames, with their strong, heavily energy-consuming back-thrusters could have a ground-slam move (not an ability that would take up a slot and maybe not even a move that need to be unlocked, but a basic thing) that they could effectively use from the height of 3-4 frames to pound the ground. It could stun smaller enemies, when impacting within close to (or in) melee-range to them. When hitting them, it could do considerable damage and could still apply a stun-effect, on top of it, pun intended. When hitting larger enemies, it could either momentarily slow them in their advance (not necessarily stun), just making it take the next (couple) of steps much slower. Some larger foes could shrug it off. Others could be stunned. But, this could potentially lead to a stun-lock exploit, which could either break the game or encourage team coordination. Heavier frames could kite behemoths and keep rattling them, slowing them, stunning them, while others could shoot and melee from different angles. While one heavy would slam into the enemy and wait for his energy to recharge, another heavy frame could slam into the enemy, to keep them back, alternating and timing their attacks, while giving one another time to recharge and manage their energy reserves.

Medium and light frames wouldn't have this move.

With all that said, a lighter frame could eventually be tweaked and equipped with such gear that it would weigh it down so it would be as slow as the slowest possible medium frame build, but with stronger weapons, for example. Or a few more bits of armor.

The same way, a medium-frame could be upgraded to be either as fast as the slowest light-frame or be as slow as the fastest heavy-frame, depending on the weapons, body-parts...etc. the player would put in, with trade-offs in mind.

And, of course, a heavy-frame, through a specific build, could be as fast as the slowest medium-frame.

So none of their speeds could ever really overlap. Increase or decrease, it would still keep their mobility limited/unique to their frame's weight-class.

It would be dumb if a heavy-frame had servos that would make their legs move like Michael Flatley on crack. I always found that ridiculous in Firefall, when I saw some big, bulky bastard run with such a fast limb-animation (that was also a class-specific ability of theirs, I think...some crack speed-boost...but, it doesn't/wouldn't/shouldn't suit such heavy classes).

So, yeah.

Damn, I forgot about wrist-mounted grappling hooks, either for the frame or the human pilot. Or both, maybe. I could not only assist in traversing more energy-demanding vertical ascents, but it could also give us the neat option of hanging from the side of cliffs and walls with one hand occupied, while being able shoot our weapon with the other, giving us, not only a height-advantage, with an improvised perch, but it could keep us out of reach of some enemies.

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
en I saw some big, bulky bastard run with such a fast limb-animation (that was also a class-specific ability of theirs, I think...some crack speed-boost
It looked like alot of fun from what i could see but maybe they could still have it but not for long duration so it can be used sparingly. Lighter frames with a lighter weight have the advantage of going all crack speed unless they build for something else hmm

Damn, I forgot about wrist-mounted grappling hooks, either for the frame or the human pilot. Or both, maybe. I could not only assist in traversing more energy-demanding vertical ascents, but it could also give us the neat option of hanging from the side of cliffs and walls with one hand occupied, while being able shoot our weapon with the other, giving us, not only a height-advantage, with an improvised perch, but it could keep us out of reach of some enemies.
I love this idea! it reminds me of the bionic commando

It looked like alot of fun from what i could see but maybe they could still have it but not for long duration so it can be used sparingly. Lighter frames with a lighter weight have the advantage of going all crack speed unless they build for something else hmm

I love this idea! it reminds me of the bionic commando
Oh, yeah. Something like that. I haven't played that game. But, I saw some gameplay footage, years ago. Don't specifically recall if one could shoot while suspended from a rope of a grappling hook, but that's the idea, here. There could be a danger involved. Smarter critters could cut your cable, either instantly or with a few attacks and you wouldn't be able to use the hook, until you got it repaired at a mechanics or wherever. This is to balance it and its use, so you couldn't just hang from a spot and comfortably blast away without being in some danger from more agile creatures that could reach you with their attacks.

Degiance

Deepscanner
Jul 5, 2017
Finland
degiance.deviantart.com
15934348_227011314413877_382242703_n.gif
Especially if the Grappling hook on the omniframe gets a double function where it can either pull things closer to you or pull you closer to them. Like in Hellgate London or Just Cause.

View attachment 1775
Especially if the Grappling hook on the omniframe gets a double function where it can either pull things closer to you or pull you closer to them. Like in Hellgate London or Just Cause.
I was also thinking of pulling smaller enemies or the ability to grapple to the exposed weak-points on giant kaijus to reach them faster.