Jul 26, 2016
I can't wait till mine gets here!

Ronyn

Commander
Staff member
Community Manager
Director of Marketing and Community
Jul 26, 2016
When do you think you'll give more chances for those of us that want to to contribute more because those higher tier levels were so limited?
Next fundraiser will be announced pretty soon. Expect to see some good options for loyal supporter such as yourself. :D

BTW I've been meaning to tell you how glad I am to see you here Smitty.

To be frank, if I had been a backer I would've been livid about two of those posters. The very first, the one with the T.H.M.P.R. and female, as we've discussed elsewhere, is misleading and was a very early art that could very well end up not even resembling how the player will ultimately look. I'm still hoping it will be the look.

I dislike the Omni-frame poster, for the obvious reasons, linking back to the first poster. Reasons we also discussed in the thread dedicated to it.

The poster of the Tsihu I could have actually liked. And I do like it. With that I didn't have any preconceptions and the reveal wasn't disappointing, but the opposite.

But, the main problem I have with all of this...merchandise...given that one of them was misleading from the start and the second receiving due flak, is that it's already cost money. Didn't it? Surely some money went into making those posters. Money that could've gone to development. Maybe it would have only carried the project only a small way towards another milestone, but that would've been more worth it than mailing out posters, especially for something that is still in its conceptual phase.

Mahdi

Firstclaimer
Jul 26, 2016
South Carolina, US
Man you have been a very negative element around here. No point in my saying sorry you are disappointed.

Much of this started with Kern wanting to give back to the firefall fans. He is doing just that. He is giving to the people who wanted to support Ember. Since the people who are getting these items are people who paid the most on the perks with the available options. They did what they wanted with their money. They are the ones that want the "merchandise". Why do you feel their money spent should be for your development desires?

Not trying to attack you bro, just wish you'd chill a bit. Sit back and wait to see what is coming. Be part of this progressive community. Not an anchor stuck on the bottom.

Jul 28, 2016
Florida
www.facebook.com
Wow that was faster than expected! Glad you've more than met your goals for the initial funding!

Now I can't wait for the first playable version! Looking forward to that thread to see what it entails! :)

Man you have been a very negative element around here. No point in my saying sorry you are disappointed.

Much of this started with Kern wanting to give back to the firefall fans. He is doing just that. He is giving to the people who wanted to support Ember. Since the people who are getting these items are people who paid the most on the perks with the available options. They did what they wanted with their money. They are the ones that want the "merchandise". Why do you feel their money spent should be for your development desires?

Not trying to attack you bro, just wish you'd chill a bit. Sit back and wait to see what is coming. Be part of this progressive community. Not an anchor stuck on the bottom.
Excuse me? "Negative element"? You probably missed most of my posts, then.

I have contributed to dozens of discussions, excitedly throwing around ideas in anticipation, for weeks. Adding to the hype, looking forward to what the responses will be from the community and from the developers. I was perfectly content. My first and only truly negative outburst was, when it was revealed through the unveiling of the omni-frame design that the very first poster art, which I'm pretty sure didn't only mislead me, was a piece of information that was not even relevant anymore and I felt rightly disappointed that it was said the frames will most likely look nothing like that. And that greatly affected my expectations. It's not a small element to the game, but a very significant one.

And if I had been one of the backers, I wouldn't have wanted those two specific posters. And I would have felt like I wasted my money. Thankfully I didn't. I might've kept the first poster, as it was the image I held in my head for the look of a future Ember-character, from the beginning. What else would I have envisioned, given that art? It looked like a slightly different FF-frame, with more curves to its jetpack...etc., which was absolutely fine, as it retained some of the look of FireFall, because the graphics would've been a bit different, yet similar. But, if the current design is what they will go with, that poster could be kept as a memento for what could've been, as I'm sure many would have kept it and many who got it will keep it, especially those who felt mislead. I would like to support the development of the game, with actual money, but it has to be heading in the right direction, including the allocation of resources. I was honestly baffled that they're already mailing out posters, at this early a stage.

Last edited:

Grummz

$6k package
Community Manager
Ember Dev
Jul 25, 2016
You're way off base here.

First off, I've been closely following the posts on the art and designs and nobody who was an actual backer is upset. I do see you (a non-backer who never donated) complaining over and over about the design of the Omniframe. I hear you. I have some ideas I'm working on. Meanwhile, I've heard nothing but support from them.

Also, we delivered all our goals in record time compared to other fundraisers. We exceeded the goals and met them all. The quality of what we delivered for forums (which was the MAIN goal of the fundraiser) is better than 95% of other game companies many times larger than our part-time group.

1) The crowdfunding was for a website and forums. The art were stretch goals. All design are subject to change this early in any game development. No backer has been upset enough about this. They can reach me at any time through the private e-mail that serves them or by posting or messaging me here. (for backers, check your e-mails, you can reply to that to reach me, or msg me here or post and I will see your backer tag).

2) People paid for their own shipping (separate from their pledge, its part of IndieGoGo's checkout process) and their tier covered the costs of printing, which I sourced to multiple vendors to keep very low without compromising on quality. Before that I spent 1 week and broke my back (literally, could not walk for a day, in severe pain for 10 days) to fix my own professional grade printer (200 pound printer) to try to keep costs lower. When that failed I went to commercial sources with equal quality pro printers. Backer rewards are always priced into the fundraising, btw, its part of the process. Backers WANT physical and virtual rewards. They pay for it.

3) People knew what poster they were getting when they backed it. It was right there. The other posters were stretch goals announce after we completed funding and were unknown to everyone. Backers love them or are fine enough they've never contacted me with issues.

3) I've put my own money into this to prepare everything we need for the second fundraiser to the tune of a couple grand. Money I may never see back. I'm committed to this game and we've already started work on the 2nd goal out of my own pocket.

if that's "bad business" to you, then don't buy in. Don't participate in the next round. Nobody is forcing you too. But I break my back (again, literally) trying to satisfy people who put money towards this project.

To be frank, if I had been a backer I would've been livid about two of those posters. The very first, the one with the T.H.M.P.R. and female, as we've discussed elsewhere, is misleading and was a very early art that could very well end up not even resembling how the player will ultimately look. I'm still hoping it will be the look.

I dislike the Omni-frame poster, for the obvious reasons, linking back to the first poster. Reasons we also discussed in the thread dedicated to it.

The poster of the Tsihu I could have actually liked. And I do like it. With that I didn't have any preconceptions and the reveal wasn't disappointing, but the opposite.

But, the main problem I have with all of this...merchandise...given that one of them was misleading from the start and the second receiving due flak, is that it's already cost money. Didn't it? Surely some money went into making those posters. Money that could've gone to development. Maybe it would have only carried the project only a small way towards another milestone, but that would've been more worth it than mailing out posters, especially for something that is still in its conceptual phase.

2) People paid for their own shipping (separate from their pledge, its part of IndieGoGo's checkout process) and their tier covered the costs of printing, which I sourced to multiple vendors to keep very low without compromising on quality. Before that I spent 1 week and broke my back (literally, could not walk for a day, in severe pain for 10 days) to fix my own professional grade printer (200 pound printer) to try to keep costs lower. When that failed I went to commercial sources with equal quality pro printers. Backer rewards are always priced into the fundraising, btw, its part of the process. Backers WANT physical and virtual rewards. They pay for it.
Well, I never actually said it was "bad business". I mean, it could still be good business, on the side. But, that's not how it happened, as you said.

I didn't know how all this shipping, back-and-forth, works. So, thanks for explaining. I think I get it know and if I understand it right, those parts of the development and handing out of physical and virtual rewards covered themselves as best they could, with much physical and mental effort from you to keep it even more balanced. And such dedication, from you and from the backers, is certainly more than even developers of much larger companies demonstrate. This also gives me hope the game will eventually gets its wings and takes off, maybe even faster than you or anyone would expect.

I apologize for complaining a lot, but if every member of the site, old and new, didn't voice their concerns, then there wouldn't be much discussion and I wouldn't learn anything about how things work.

1) The crowdfunding was for a website and forums. The art were stretch goals. All design are subject to change this early in any game development.
Yes, I realize that, as you and I had talked about it. And it's what gives me hope that the development process will head towards something that I can donate money to, as I'd like to. I mean...if the cost of a game, as you or another moderator have said is going to be around 30-40 dollars, then that's nothing. I can certainly bring myself to fund the development, in smaller donations that would amount to perhaps multiple times what the prices of the game will be.

Mmm...thinking...not sure what that picture means. I'm not even going to use the excuse that English isn't my native language, as I speak it better than my mother tongue. I would say it's "straight from the horses mouth" at first glance, but that saying cannot really be applied to this discussion.

And I feel I'm missing the butt of joke that might be me. o_O

EDIT:

Wait! "Don't look a gift-horse in the mouth."

Missed the gift-wrapping on the horse.

Grummz

$6k package
Community Manager
Ember Dev
Jul 25, 2016
Thank you for understanding. I have an idea for a frame look and some gameplay for you. It won't be getting rid of the Omniframe, but it might go a ways towards making you like the way its set up. I hope.

Well, I never actually said it was "bad business". I mean, it could still be good business, on the side. But, that's not how it happened, as you said.

I didn't know how all this shipping, back-and-forth, works. So, thanks for explaining. I think I get it know and if I understand it right, those parts of the development and handing out of physical and virtual rewards covered themselves as best they could, with much physical and mental effort from you to keep it even more balanced. And such dedication, from you and from the backers, is certainly more than even developers of much larger companies demonstrate. This also gives me hope the game will eventually gets its wings and takes off, maybe even faster than you or anyone would expect.

I apologize for complaining a lot, but if every member of the site, old and new, didn't voice their concerns, then there wouldn't be much discussion and I wouldn't learn anything about how things work.

Yes, I realize that, as you and I had talked about it. And it's what gives me hope that the development process will head towards something that I can donate money to, as I'd like to. I mean...if the cost of a game, as you or another moderator have said is going to be around 30-40 dollars, then that's nothing. I can certainly bring myself to fund the development, in smaller donations that would amount to perhaps multiple times what the prices of the game will be.

Status
Not open for further replies.