Firefall IP?

0V3RKILL

Tsi-Hu Hunter
Aug 5, 2016
I read today on the firefall forum a guy translated a Chinese article where it says that they will close firefall very soon. So I thought let me download it so my daughter and I can say good bye and it turns out that the game doesn't work at all in steam. I know Em-8ER is coming and I can't wait. Even though the games are similar in some aspects let's be honest they will be completely different. My point is that I don't want to lose firefall. I wish I can have them both. So my question to mark kern is, are you planning on buying firefall ip from the9 since they are closing it all? I wish you would and I wish you would be the one making both firefall and em-8er. Give us your views on that. Here is the link of the stuff I read today. Please read some of the same stuff I was reading and see if I was right or wrong about it all. Maybe this will be the opportunity for you to buy the firefall ip.

http://forums.firefall.com/community/threads/the9-being-sued-by-qihoo-360.8834182/

Torgue_Joey

Kaiju Slayer
KAIJU 'SPLODER
Jul 27, 2016
Germany
HELL NO. WHO'S GONNA PAY? WE AIN'T GOT THE MONEY AND I AIN'T GONNA PUT MY MONEY IN FOR THAT.
I'D RATHER GO TO CHINA AND BURN THE F*CKIN SERVER DOWN WITH A FIGGIN TERMITE BOMB.

SERIOUS, LET FACE IT.
GAME ALREADY BROKEN, A LOT OF SH*T AIN'T WORKIN. AND WE BASICALLY GOT NO ONE THAT IS ABLE TO WORK ON THE PITCHFORKED ENGINE.

0V3RKILL

Tsi-Hu Hunter
Aug 5, 2016
I don't understand how can no one in this planet have the early copies of firefall. Not even mark kern has a copy of it? Cause if we can get a petition going to buy ip from them so that mark gets his hands on it, it won't be much work. Just continue from where he left of. Actually what I'm talking about was an idea from someone in the firefall forum. I know firefall has enough fans to make that happen. I just don't want to see it go away. Like I said I would love to have both. But, if it's not ment to be oh well.

Ronyn

Commander
Staff member
Community Manager
Director of Marketing and Community
Jul 26, 2016
I don't understand how can no one in this planet have the early copies of firefall. Not even mark kern has a copy of it? Cause if we can get a petition going to buy ip from them so that mark gets his hands on it, it won't be much work. Just continue from where he left of. Actually what I'm talking about was an idea from someone in the firefall forum. I know firefall has enough fans to make that happen. I just don't want to see it go away. Like I said I would love to have both. But, if it's not ment to be oh well.
For what it's worth, Mark talked to the 9 about buying the IP several months ago. They would not sell it, so he had to move on. Good news is that now that he has been working on Em-8ER in the Crixa universe he is having a truly great time with this direction. The lore holds a lot of good stuff that will come out in both gameplay and story over time.

0V3RKILL

Tsi-Hu Hunter
Aug 5, 2016
Not only did 9 refuse to sell the IP, they had the then community manager to post a BS blog about bringing Firefall to the console market to show that they are actively developing the IP.

They ain't going to sell it. The dream is dead. Let it go.
that was ages ago, when they thought they had a chance with firefall. of course they are going to say no to selling. But this is now. they know they lost the battle and they aren't going to put in more money. Anyway, I thought mark kern would like to get his hands on that since it's his creation. I know I would if it was mine. But, It ain't my problem, It aint my bitch

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2016
...and they aren't going to put in more money.
dude, somebody is paying for the server that keeps it running. They ain't developing or marketing anything but they are paying and talking with steam to keep it up whenever someone convinces Valve to rip it off the store. They ain't many reasons why they would keep doing that. I doubt they going to sell.

0V3RKILL

Tsi-Hu Hunter
Aug 5, 2016
dude, somebody is paying for the server that keeps it running. They ain't developing or marketing anything but they are paying and talking with steam to keep it up whenever someone convinces Valve to rip it off the store. They ain't many reasons why they would keep doing that. I doubt they going to sell.
It seams you are trying to convince me of something we know very little of. I am not even sure the article mentions selling cause I don't know Chinese. But, people did get a clear understanding that the article talked about The9 dropping firefall. The server was paid a while back, Like I paid a year ago for my website and it's still going. This is new info that just came out. Who knows what's going to happen. But, I do know one thing, someone will buy that game. Anyway, no one should be afraid of a no. Think of all the girlfriends you would've never had if you stopped after the first no. But, like I said, don't care. I don't have the power to do anything about this. I am here only to speak of what I found and to alert kern about the situation since I know he worked so hard on firefall. So, I did what I wanted to do. I am done.

Silv3r Shadow

Max Kahuna
Max Kahuna
Kaiju Slayer
Jul 29, 2016
The game spend about 200m up to mid 2015, The9 was hoping to sell off the game the whole time for big money. the absurd implementations and advertising, like esports and consoles was the ploy to sell it for a big price. all the advertising saying it will be bigger than WOW etc. The continuous changes of the the ingame systems shows how much little The9 cared about the game but how much they wanted to get it 'new' version of the game. everything else has already been mentioned above.

long story short for today's current situation, The9 would rather let firefall over time and let everyone forget about it than sell the ip for minimal price anything less than 250m.

Firefall is a sad story

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2016
Suzhou
Have to raise this up again now the servers have shut down for a month. Forums are back up btw.

Yes Mark asked and was rejected. That is how long ago? Things have considerably changed since then. Anthem, Em8er, FF Servers gone .... "no" does not necessarily mean no. What's past is past and Mark has adopted a pragmatic stance and asked for the IP.

Regardless of the background, he actually asked and the public "no way" in response is, forgive me 'typical Chinese to save face'. If THE9 can adopt a more pragmatic stance (Mark, motivation by persuasion) and realise the IP is not making them ANY money, maybe, just maybe Mark can strike a deal with them.

I have advised against this on the FF forums and I now adapt to the new situation. Anthem and Server shutdown are a game changer. Mark, you need a game NOW. THE9, you guys blew millions on this and handing it to Mark would allow you to make some money out of it instead of none. The details of such a deal are between the parties involved so sit down and talk. It cannot get any worse at this point, can it?

I reckon many players would be open to a monthly subscription to get the game back. I started with 1.3 so anything up to then would be fine for me. I also like the idea of non-level based progression and new events in an open world every couple of weeks.

Once more Mark, try again and hopefully THE9 can see the point and appreciate that SOME money is better than none. The players would appreciate both sides effort.

Torgue_Joey

Kaiju Slayer
KAIJU 'SPLODER
Jul 27, 2016
Germany
Have to raise this up again now the servers have shut down for a month. Forums are back up btw.

Yes Mark asked and was rejected. That is how long ago? Things have considerably changed since then. Anthem, Em8er, FF Servers gone .... "no" does not necessarily mean no. What's past is past and Mark has adopted a pragmatic stance and asked for the IP.

Regardless of the background, he actually asked and the public "no way" in response is, forgive me 'typical Chinese to save face'. If THE9 can adopt a more pragmatic stance (Mark, motivation by persuasion) and realise the IP is not making them ANY money, maybe, just maybe Mark can strike a deal with them.

I have advised against this on the FF forums and I now adapt to the new situation. Anthem and Server shutdown are a game changer. Mark, you need a game NOW. THE9, you guys blew millions on this and handing it to Mark would allow you to make some money out of it instead of none. The details of such a deal are between the parties involved so sit down and talk. It cannot get any worse at this point, can it?

I reckon many players would be open to a monthly subscription to get the game back. I started with 1.3 so anything up to then would be fine for me. I also like the idea of non-level based progression and new events in an open world every couple of weeks.

Once more Mark, try again and hopefully THE9 can see the point and appreciate that SOME money is better than none. The players would appreciate both sides effort.
THE MAIN PROBLEM IS: SERVER COST
EVEN IF GRUMMZ GET IT BACK FOR "FREE". THERE IS SIMPLY NOT ENOUGH PLAYER, OR IN OTHER WORDS, IT WON'T GENERATE ENOUGH INCOME TOO KEEP THE SERVER RUNNING.

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
I feel that Em8er is the way forward by not making the same mistakes as ff and fully in control. Plus Em8er seems to be way more awesome with mechs and the detailed lore. Sometimes i still do wonder what if ff had continued and no issues made by the9 but we cant be certain!. All i know is that this sacrifice has paved the way for an even better vision and hopefully a game that supports this vision completely

Mahdi

Firstclaimer
Jul 26, 2016
South Carolina, US
Pulling on the heart strings, if it were possible to have .7-.9 beta back I would like to see a small server and definitely play again. But that is impossible at this point. So with eyes closed, face down and a shake of the head I let go of firefall and know that Em-8ER will be even better than those glory days of firefall. It would be amazing to have some classic firefall to tie us over until the launch of Em-8ER, but the future is bright and secure...just need a little patience.

Last edited:

Nalessa

Commander
Jan 6, 2017
Belgium
I don't think it's worth to get firefall back and continue on it from closed beta constraints build without gear degrading (which I think was pretty much the best incarnation of the game, or at least it feels like most people seem to like that version the most).

UE4 engine is so much better then a heavily modified Offset engine, the time you save by using UE4 alone is a big plus, and I'm pretty sure it's also cheaper to create things in it then Offset.

I'd love to have an old faufau version running that I can play once and a while, but Em-8er has much more potential just by using UE4.

Max Kahuna
Max Kahuna
Kahuna M.A.X.
Sep 6, 2016
theyre sitting on the ip and make a (shitty shovelware) mobile game out of it. i read it in their own announcement.

however i wont strap on my dung chaps to wade through that pile of shit again to link it.