Fallback skins

Sy

Nov 16, 2018
sya.li
Imagining that I want to mute some particular skin.

What if I don't necessarily want the default skin, but I would accept some sort of tamer version?

If the wearer of a skin can also specify a secondary "fallback" skin, I might find that acceptable.

There could be something like a "primary skin" and a "theme-appropriate skin" as a secondary choice.

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
Would the choices mean you are able to see the default skin as standard or fallback skin if enabled as they are in the theme appropriate skin category.

The player's main chosen skin, what exactly is the most that the player could choose would it be full nudity or partial nudity?

I ask this because a topic about rust on how they are able to run full nude which seemed fun for some but others where not into that.

This would help towards the immersion, and what the player would like to see especially to keep in theme or even to keep it more family friendly for those.

Perhaps even in which environment those skin filter option would like to see, such as in the social district rather than the battle field or generally just applied or disabled for all regions etc.

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2016
Or just do like other games do and allow the players to be able to dress in layers. Yes, you can wear whole suits or costumes that change your look. Or you can wear cloths in layers mixing and matching what you want to fit your style.

Some games just go the simple rout of one slot for the head, one for the upper body, and one for the lower body. But other games go deeper with things like skin layer cloths (namely underwear, swimsuits, and thing you would wear on bare skin). Mid layer cloths being anything you normally wear over skin layer cloths if you was wearing them. Outer layer cloths being anything you can wear on top of everything else (namely things like jackets, raincoats, caps, and the like). Some times with options within those options for things like eye wear, ear wear, and neck wear for example.

Grinstone

Deepstriker
Jan 30, 2017
That is an interesting question, given that we know that players can choose not to see skins that are considered to fall outside the Ember's general theme.

Since that indicates that there must be some kind of default, the easiest approach might be to have one (or more) slots for whatever the player wants, and one slot for which only thematically appropriate costume items / skins are available. Of course this would imply that all items are flagged to show whether or not they are thematic, so that if I want all available costume slots to have thematically appropriate costumes / skins then I can do so without having to search through threads of what people consider should be thematically appropriate vs which are (or aren't they?) thematically appropriate.

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
That is an interesting question, given that we know that players can choose not to see skins that are considered to fall outside the Ember's general theme.

Since that indicates that there must be some kind of default, the easiest approach might be to have one (or more) slots for whatever the player wants, and one slot for which only thematically appropriate costume items / skins are available. Of course this would imply that all items are flagged to show whether or not they are thematic, so that if I want all available costume slots to have thematically appropriate costumes / skins then I can do so without having to search through threads of what people consider should be thematically appropriate vs which are (or aren't they?) thematically appropriate.
So with thematic outfits/gear they could still be in theme will it take to account the other parameters

Such as:

- The level of physics in certain places on the body e.g groin, breasts, butt etc

- Body type customization compared to preset e.g. big feet small body big head, big eyes etc

- Custom animation compared to preset e.g. duck walking, drunken walk etc

- Sound pack compared to preset e.g. cat hissing sound and raging meows in melee combat etc

These are not necessarily all to do with the skin and feel they could impact player's experience.
With the given choices to see/hear it all, be more selective, or go full preset that way the experience is suited to a wider audience and their preference of choice.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2016
Massachusetts
This game is basically going to be a bunch of scantily dressed females running around with boobs seemingly falling out. Sure it will be fun to watch but will I want to play it for more than 10 minutes? Lol ✌️

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
This game is basically going to be a bunch of scantily dressed females running around with boobs seemingly falling out. Sure it will be fun to watch but will I want to play it for more than 10 minutes? Lol ✌️
The dangers lurk out there ......

I am going to be armored, the boobs/moobs wont escape my armor and also will be a shorty, they wont be able to spot me so easily also i will have stealth technology to sneak before the energy runs out to get to the bike then i will craft things very far far away

iamnothere.jpg
1632067373566.jpeg

Aug 14, 2016
I'm planning to make a character that looks as close to myself in real life as possible in the game. Yes, I'm one of those people. So I'll be making a tall dark skinned male of average build with only slightly above average muscle tone to match that of a person who trains to fight and moves large objects for a living (not because I want to, but because the people who I work with all seem to think that taller people are just stronger than normal people). So unless I'm the only guy in the game who makes characters that look like himself, I doubt that I'll be only guy running around on a planet where the population is 99% female. lol

Last edited:

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
What if we could have appearance profile slots for alternate looks to swap depending on our moods an example

Slot 1 - Realistic look e.g. your Grand parent
Slot 2 - Anthromorph look e.g. your cat with a hat
Slot 3 - Hybrid look e.g. Your garden gnome augmented with machine parts

As an example

- In my own Em8er home/base i would be my usual self with casual space tech pyjama armor

- Out of the home/base i would be a Anthromorph because when the tishu and beasts are out the Reaper must adapt and be like a shorty beast

- In the social district i would be a mix of the two above or a party machine with many confetti but then it could depend on the theme so much to think about for that one.