fake scifi religions

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
I think there needs to be big worms somewhere in the mix i dont know why but i imagine these worms to be dangerous and annoy anyone they are just there to annoy no matter who you are.

what happens if they go inside your ears can you hear them what are they saying?
what if they give you worm missions specific to worms but if your not cured quickly you
turn into a worm and sadly you may be killed!

These are just something that i wondered

Aug 14, 2016
To point out, there is a huge difference between a person that does not go out of their way to help others, and someone who plots and actively works towards the destruction of their own species. I do not care *how* it is justified, to me the desire for genocide of your own species speaks of being mentally disturbed.
Sure, that is fine. It is is you option after all. I'm just of the option of not throwing around terms like "mentally disturbed" because it tends to cheapens and stigmatizes real mental disorders and the people who have them. The pop culture definition of mental disorders often have little to no bases in the actual psychological and physiological meanings, nor the legal meaning of such words. Because doing so is painting all people with mental disorders in a large negative with no bases in reality.

I think there needs to be big worms somewhere in the mix i dont know why but i imagine these worms to be dangerous and annoy anyone they are just there to annoy no matter who you are.

what happens if they go inside your ears can you hear them what are they saying?
what if they give you worm missions specific to worms but if your not cured quickly you
turn into a worm and sadly you may be killed!

These are just something that i wondered
Hmm... The Em-8er version of an earworm could actually a parasitic worm with mind controlling abilities. This nothing new as there are lots of parasites in real life that have the ability to take of the mind and body of the host. Some even killing the host before using their bodies like a puppet turning them into zombies. Yes, I like it.

Also the only reason I use the term "earworm" is because that is what you call a song that gets stuck in people's head really easy and annoy you to no end if it plays on loop in your mind long enough. The only way some people know to stop the song is to ether replace it with another song. Or singing it out loud in such a way that it gets stuck in other people's heads, effectively passing it on to other people as it jumps from host to host. lol

Last edited:

EvilKitten

Ark Liege
Jul 26, 2016
Sure, that is fine. It is is you option after all. I'm just of the option of not throwing around terms like "mentally disturbed" because it tends to cheapens and stigmatizes real mental disorders and the people who have them. The pop culture definition of mental disorders often have little to no bases in the actual psychological and physiological meanings, nor the legal meaning of such words. Because doing so is painting all people with mental disorders in a large negative with no bases in reality.

Hmm... The Em-8er version of an earworm could actually a parasitic worm with mind controlling abilities. This nothing new as there are lots of parasites in real life that have the ability to take of the mind and body of the host. Some even killing the host before using their bodies like a puppet turning them into zombies. Yes, I like it.

Also the only reason I use the term "earworm" is because that is what you call a song that gets stuck in people's head really easy and annoy you to no end if it plays on loop in your mind long enough. The only way some people know to stop the song is to ether replace it with another song. Or singing it out loud in such a way that it gets stuck in other people's heads, effectively passing it on to other people as it jumps from host to host. lol
Hmmm...Perhaps I am not wording correctly, i typically define Mentally Disturbed as an...ethical disorder? Racism, sexism, or in this case the desire to commit genocide, I lump under mentally disturbed. I suppose if other people do not see it that way it could be a communication problem, my apologies.

Estender

Deepscanner
Jul 26, 2016
Planet Tölva
I believe the way this thread is going is an argument strong enough against mentioning any particular religion outside of throwaway lines like "My God" or "Oh my God".

Sometimes less is more. After all, we never exactly knew how, for example, the FireFall's tech was working, it was left for the player to fill in the gaps, plainly speaking, to apply the suspension of disbelief on the unimportant parts of the fluff.

Aug 14, 2016
Hmmm...Perhaps I am not wording correctly, i typically define Mentally Disturbed as an...ethical disorder? Racism, sexism, or in this case the desire to commit genocide, I lump under mentally disturbed. I suppose if other people do not see it that way it could be a communication problem, my apologies.
Ok, I understand what you mean now. Although when it comes to things like that the terms I hear most often are things like "ethically corrupt" "morally corrupt" "morally bankrupt" "lacking ethics" "having a broken moral compass" "crimes against humanity" and so. Things that denote that the person's ethics and/or morals are the problem, not their mental health because those are two very different things.

I believe the way this thread is going is an argument strong enough against mentioning any particular religion outside of throwaway lines like "My God" or "Oh my God".

Sometimes less is more. After all, we never exactly knew how, for example, the FireFall's tech was working, it was left for the player to fill in the gaps, plainly speaking, to apply the suspension of disbelief on the unimportant parts of the fluff.
My definition of religion is different from other peoples it seems because I attach no emotional meaning nor biases to the word. To me, the word religion is not different from words like ideology and philosophy, being a set of core beliefs and views that a person(s) ascribes to as guiding force in their life(s) that they can spend a lifetime doing and/or working on. Like I said before I have a hard time knowing how other people will perceive the words I say because I don't attach emotions to them or forget that I'm using a meaning of the word that most people don't know or use anymore. To me, words like faction, guild, cabal, cult, temple and church (because they don't always mean a place but the group of people who are in attendance), household, and familia are all interchangeable because they all mean the same thing. A group of people of a given size who all follow the same set of core views and believes or the same guiding force/person.

For example, in my mind the The Church of Deus Ex Machina doesn't have anything to do with god in the way some people seem to think. But rather they are group of people who are focused on making a machine that could be viewed as a god or is able to produce something that people could call a god. So the idea is that they want to make a machine or computer that knows everything can manipulate the universe both on a small and grand scale or is able to make something else that can do those things. These attributes are commonly known as omniscient and omnipotent, abilities only given to gods in stories. And believe it or not, but scientists do have a sense of humor. That is why their are a lot of hidden jokes in how they name things.

EvilKitten

Ark Liege
Jul 26, 2016
...Things that denote that the person's ethics and/or morals are the problem, not their mental health because those are two very different things.
Are they? I am not sure I agree.

So the idea is that they want to make a machine or computer that knows everything can manipulate the universe both on a small and grand scale or is able to make something else that can do those things. These attributes are commonly known as omniscient and omnipotent, abilities only given to gods in stories.
You forgot Omnipresence, the third defining characteristic of God. Unfortunately in order to achieve these three items one would have to exist outside of our universal structure (space/time/subspace etc)

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2016
Are they? I am not sure I agree.
From a medical stand point there is there are no such mental disorders that mate make people sexist, racist, or genocidal. This is because in humans those things all under nurture and not nature. There are no structural nor chemical differences in the brain or body that can force someone to do those things because they are conscious choices. If you have the ability to freely and willing choose what actions and thoughts run through your mind about such topics than it is not a disorder despite how it may look to an outside observer. This is also why the insanity defense rarely works in a court of law. Despite how it may look in tv shows, movies, and comics most people who use the plea of insanity rarely see it work, about 1% odds in real life because of those reasons.

Funny thing, the Joker from Batman in a real court of law in the USA would not be viewed as insane. This is because the Joker is fully aware of his actions. Has full knowledge of the effects of those actions. And fully attends to do those actions with the goals of death and destruction in mind. He only acts insane as a way to mask his goals and keep people both confused and in fear. Because he is fully aware and totally in control at all times, he doesn't really have a mental disorder but is really good at mimicing the treats of having one.

You forgot Omnipresence, the third defining characteristic of God. Unfortunately in order to achieve these three items one would have to exist outside of our universal structure (space/time/subspace etc)
In terms of building something like a computer that has omniscient and omnipotent you basically just have build one that capable of simulating the universe and everything in it from the beginning to the end with ability to manipulate the fundamental forces of the universe on any scale. You can do that without needing to leave the universe itself. But omnipresence on the other hand basically needs you to exist outside of space and time for it work. Seeing omnipresence is the ability to everywhere at once and in all times at once. So that would be a lot of harder to do, as you would have to build something that also exists before you built it. And if your go in the whole multiverse thing, it would also have to exist in all realities at once too.

But you can also go the simulation theory rout. In which case you could build something that acts like a virus that gives beings/A.I. within the simulation full control over their own simulation. It would be like NPCs in a game hacking their own programming and taking control over game away from the players and devs.

Dr. D

Base Commander
May 28, 2017
Planet Zi
My favourite sci-fi religions from Futurama:

Concerning Ember: Maybe big organized religions are not that fitting in a setting where scientists took over the world after the Nazis took over the world. Good chance that Religions are neither "raison d'état" nor taken as valid after this. Maybe small cults have developed? The majority of people would rather believe in more secular ideologies - eugenic or strong meritocratic world views for example.

Estender

Deepscanner
Jul 26, 2016
Planet Tölva
Ok, I understand what you mean now. Although when it comes to things like that the terms I hear most often are things like "ethically corrupt" "morally corrupt" "morally bankrupt" "lacking ethics" "having a broken moral compass" "crimes against humanity" and so. Things that denote that the person's ethics and/or morals are the problem, not their mental health because those are two very different things.

My definition of religion is different from other peoples it seems because I attach no emotional meaning nor biases to the word. To me, the word religion is not different from words like ideology and philosophy, being a set of core beliefs and views that a person(s) ascribes to as guiding force in their life(s) that they can spend a lifetime doing and/or working on. Like I said before I have a hard time knowing how other people will perceive the words I say because I don't attach emotions to them or forget that I'm using a meaning of the word that most people don't know or use anymore. To me, words like faction, guild, cabal, cult, temple and church (because they don't always mean a place but the group of people who are in attendance), household, and familia are all interchangeable because they all mean the same thing. A group of people of a given size who all follow the same set of core views and believes or the same guiding force/person.

For example, in my mind the The Church of Deus Ex Machina doesn't have anything to do with god in the way some people seem to think. But rather they are group of people who are focused on making a machine that could be viewed as a god or is able to produce something that people could call a god. So the idea is that they want to make a machine or computer that knows everything can manipulate the universe both on a small and grand scale or is able to make something else that can do those things. These attributes are commonly known as omniscient and omnipotent, abilities only given to gods in stories. And believe it or not, but scientists do have a sense of humor. That is why their are a lot of hidden jokes in how they name things.
Dictionary is your best friend in any debate or discussion. Opponents agreeing on definitions is already half the work done usually.

From Dictionary.com:
Religion
- A set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, especially when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs;

- A specific fundamental set of beliefs and practices generally agreed upon by a number of persons or sects.

- The body of persons adhering to a particular set of beliefs and practices.

Dec 15, 2016
PANDEMONIUMREGNATSATANIVITAEPANDEMONIUMREGNATSATANIVITAEPANDEMONIUMREGNATSATANIVITAE
PANDEMONIUMREGNATSATANIVITAEPANDEMONIUMREGNATSATANIVITAEPANDEMONIUMREGNATSATANIVITAE

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2016
How about a group of people who are followers of Chaos. A good number of people do not link Order and Chaos with good and evil. But rather like order to things like stability and chaos to things like change, knowing that to much order in the world is just as bad as there being to much chaos. So if they feel the world has become to stagnant and locked in place they'll seek to bring chaos to it to try and balance it out and bring forth change in how people view and do things.

In some of their old myths they talk of a being only known a Florida Man was an odd agent of chaos but is most notable for being one of the first agents of chaos that was known all over the world in his time.

For the few people who don't know who Florida Man is, here is a bit of what he is.

Note, that people in Florida are no more crazy than people anywhere else in the world. It just that Florida has a law that makes all police reports public part of the public record so anyone can see them.