enough skins...

Rawgi

Deepstriker
Sep 9, 2016
CA,USA
So what do you have if you don't want the subscription and don't want to pay for a FTP game? Sounds like Pay to Play or you get nothing and the game would fail.

Rawgi

Deepstriker
Sep 9, 2016
CA,USA
Also how is it fair to have a subscrition in the game and have lots of folks who didn't pay a dime get the same game you paid for. It will interesting to see how this pans out with the subscriptions, Crowdfunding to keep the game afloat, and the same gameplay for those who don't play as those that want to invest more into the game. Stiil it can't be called Free To Play if you have to buy the game. And I know many of us want to see more development and content for what we have already spent on this. Plus many of us come from FireFall and know how that went, really don't want a repeat of that sadness. I know there has been much work done to get it this far, but also needs much more to a great game like we want. Time will tell. Do we have the patients to wait it out?
Here is a twist, just what ever happened to the bus? Is it rotting in a warehouse somewhere, or did somebody acquire it like a museum piece?

Thorp

Omni Ace
Jul 27, 2016
California, CA
Sounds like Pay to Play
I don't recall anybody claiming Em8er is FreeToPlay; it's definitely BuyToPlay.

Other games have demonstrated BuyToPlay does work. Guild Wars 2 for example is a BuyToPlay. A multitude of MMOs also have a pseudo BuyToPlay model where they are FreeToPlay but players need to buy (or earn) the expansion packs to advance. Lord of the Rings Online and Star Wars The Old Republic are great examples of FreeToPlay that have BuyToPlay additions.

how is it fair to have a subscrition in the game and have lots of folks who didn't pay a dime get the same game you paid for.
it's fair because the subscription contract specifically states the reward is purely cosmetic and also says other players will have access to the content without paying. The subscription is worded to convey the subscription is optional and subscribers are appreciated for their generosity on top of the statement that if the players want servers online 24/7 they'll need subscribers to keep the servers funded until other methods of sales are available. It's fair because by subscribing players are agreeing to those terms.

Do we have the patients to wait it out?
I optimistically speculate that the wait time won't actually be too long. The gradual release of content will reduce the sense of waiting; it'll feel more like content updates until all the planned features are in. Furthermore, to my knowledge of not reading the lore pdfs, the current scope and scale of Em8er can get most of the basic gameplay in fairly quickly. There's of course a lot of animations, rigging, textures, concept art, and other necessary things to build but in general the main feature of PvE with guns and spells is not too complicated. Also this time around Em8er is using procedurally generated terrain which will greatly cut world building time. I suspect most of the development time will be spent on discovering how to make player bases fun and the AI be smart enough to not bore the players. I optimistically anticipate after a successful kickstarter that most of the PvE "meat and potatoes" will be launched 2-3 years. Realistically though there will likely be obstacles and maybe setbacks leading to 4-5 years before a polished release. (Like I said though....optimistic)

Silv3r Shadow

Max Kahuna
Max Kahuna
Kaiju Slayer
Jul 29, 2016
Sure the early development will be slow with the extra funds. But more to show at kickstarter, im more thankful for subscribers really, this stuff being developed would be made anyway.

Also how is it fair to have a subscription in the game and have lots of folks who didn't pay a dime get the same game you paid for.
99% of players wont get what I will be able to get, the M2/M3 funds wouldnt of raised enough money if it was only $30. I get my own skins of my design etc, a title no one else will be able to get. sure, most people wouldn't buy the biggest funding pack. There wouldn't be an incentive or be profitable if we purchased physical stuff.

I was annoyed with Star Citizen when they put out a sub, giving exclusives etc, but these things are quite minor, like, there's people who dont care about these limited cosmetics and those who do, dont let these ruin a game for you. Mark isnt trying to milk us for profit, like every other game.

Rawgi

Deepstriker
Sep 9, 2016
CA,USA
OK fair enough. I wasn't trying to say we were going to be milked or that it would be a cash grab with many skins to buy. But there has a bit of time spend on skins when that should in the background after the " Meat and Potatoes " of the game have been made.I think many of us just want to play the game, we can worry about how we look later. All this talk of the skins being transparent or parts of the outfit controllable is fine, but don't we want a sooner timeframe? I know you can't develop a game with no cash flow, I am just trying to get some clarification on how this all coming together. It is very easy to get lost in the money part of it with all the Kickstarters, Crowdfunding, subscriptions, and items you can purchase. I remember in FireFall you would have trouble being able to tell if your new friend was male or female, but I guess it doesn't matter . We are all humans and can look or be whatever we want. If you don't like how you are , you change to whatever you feel more comfortable with.

Maven

Kaiju Slayer
Max Kahuna
Philanthropist
Jul 26, 2016
A particular fact most often forgotten in game dev is this: the art and actual game dev are done by different people. Art elements such as the posters for the subscription does not take time away from developing systems and mechanics.

The art posters for the subscriber skins are done by contracted individuals. This art, in turn is used to create a revenue stream for actual game development, supplementing it. The time-frame we currently have, or the pace at which content is currently being developed, is likely the quickest possible, considering we have just one full time developer, and all others being part-timers.

All these elements, be it the subscription/backer programs, the systems currently developed and in development, are pieces of the bigger puzzle that is the Kickstarter. The team needs to pull out every stop in order to be able to compete with other developers who are backed by publishers and/or millions of dollars in funding. At the same time, they need to be methodical in their approach, so as to ensure that they make the most out of the funding that the community has pooled.

All these factors considered, we, the community, have to remain patient and give the team the time to do their job. As for a timeframe for development, Grummz recently announced on discord that he has set up an internal Trello for the dev cycle.

trel.JPG

They have a plan, a course of action, the community simply needs to trust that they are doing their very best.

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
We all know the quality behind the Em8er team and their dedication
1583597981518.jpeg

Trust in
1583599433798.jpeg
He wants to give you mek and save the planet!

Don't trust in
1583599678544.jpeg
wants to eat and corrupt your mind :O

Let's rally behind Em8er team, lets fire up the mek's and move forward!!!
1583599862624.jpeg

Rawgi

Deepstriker
Sep 9, 2016
CA,USA
I understand what you are saying and all of know it is a huge amount of time and resources to develop this game. The impatience probably comes from, ( and this is speculation ), the fact that the majority of us have all come from FireFall and have been down the road of anxiously waitingf for the next patch, only to be disappointed by changes and little content that ruined our playing experience. That game brought more us together than anything I have ever seen. We all had a common goal and we all were working for the same thing, FUN. It was so cool to log on and leave the day in the real world behind and go do anything you wanted, go anywhere , meet new people , find friends, goof off, go kill Chosen. You could find enough stuff in each area to keep you busy for days, weeks. So I believe most are looking for that same experience here and like kids they are always coming by and asking " Are We There Yet? How much longer ? ". At least that is my take. Patience? Who on earth has much of that any more?

Jan 27, 2017
Now all this money talk is just my saying how it looks to me. I don't know for sure , it's just my opinion, and i could be way off. Used to be games were pay to play, then they all ran to Free to play, now the move to subscription based games, who knows where it will stop.
Lets hope we dont have to start paying for ammo. :)

Rawgi

Deepstriker
Sep 9, 2016
CA,USA
Just like having a great Plasma Machine Gun and then the new patch makes it pretty much useless and you have to go back to a shotgun or chain gun. Or purchase a better gun with some red beans.