Ember forum loads CPU

Jul 27, 2016
Ukraine
I've just noticed this. Once Ember forum is opened it creates CPU usage spikes every 4 seconds. I'm using Google Chrome browser. Internet traffic usage also goes a little up on the moment of spike sometimes. When I close Ember tab this problem goes away immediatley. Since FF and Ember forum are using the same platform, I've also checked FF, but it's not creating this spikes. I'm guessing may be the page automatically refreshes itself every 4 seconds to show a new replies\threads created. Would be nice if someone has checked this on their computer too.
Edit: looks like the reason is background image dynamic changing.

Attachments

Last edited:

RaZoR

Death Reaper
Jul 26, 2016
Getting the same.
Task manager/performance/cpu usage showing 0% - 5% every 4 - 5 secs.
Not huge, but cpu is constantly spinning above normal.

Jul 28, 2016
I suspect that the background image switching is forcing a reload to catch any new Alerts you may have.

Although there's no reason for the background image to spike your internet traffic, that should be cached and simply swap/cycle on a predetermined schedule.

P

PCMasterReece

It's most likely the background image switching. Personally I find it distracting and unnecessary. And with an 8s loop, it can get relatively annoying.
I'm also going to add in, the backgrounds aren't even that great. In my honest opinion

Xeevis

Max Kahuna
Max Kahuna
Forum Tech
Jul 26, 2016
www.emberbot.com
You can disable responsible script with Adblock/Ublock rule
Code:
||forums.emberthegame.com/*/jquery.backstretch.min.js$script
Problem is in the transition effect. Script is burst changing opacity taking quite a lot of resources. Ideally this should be handled by hardware-accelerated CSS transitions.

Jul 28, 2016
spiralofhope.com
I blocked the image being rotated through, because I despise that sort of clutter.

I don't see a way to block the offending script, but I did find an image poking around through control-shift-v which solved my problem.

I never saw the cpu usage spike, probably because I'm using Pale Moon.

OhhPaigey

Jul 27, 2016
Toronto, Canada
Code:
||forums.emberthegame.com/*/jquery.backstretch.min.js$script
Problem is in the transition effect. Script is burst changing opacity taking quite a lot of resources. Ideally this should be handled by hardware-accelerated CSS transitions.
Man, I have NO idea what you just said. :(

PlzBanMe

The furry mod
Staff member
Ember Moderator
Jul 27, 2016
It's most likely the background image switching. Personally I find it distracting and unnecessary. And with an 8s loop, it can get relatively annoying.
Maybe after this next round of concept art a single background could be settled on.

Xeevis

Max Kahuna
Max Kahuna
Forum Tech
Jul 26, 2016
www.emberbot.com
Background fading is modern and looks cool. I've already discussed the matter with Mark and we'll be looking into it.

I'd start with switching implementation from JS fading to HW accelerated CSS transitions, personally I don't see a reason to implement "pausing", but I'm not the one to make that call :).

Jul 26, 2016
as noted earlier it's probably the backgrounds, i already had it disabled so when i went to leave Process Explorer running for a couple minutes while i got something to drink, i didn't see anything out of the ordinary.
the early spikes was me muting some stuff and setting AFK while i went away for the duration of the data collection.

it's very good to note however that any type of aggregate graph easily readable by humans (including the one i show) is not even remotely accurate to actual Processor Utilization. keep that in mind.

hm, i'll switch to that. i was blocking the actual dynamic image before, but that's definitely a better choice to actually block the Script itself.

Jul 27, 2016
I'd start with switching implementation from JS fading to HW accelerated CSS transitions, personally I don't see a reason to implement "pausing", but I'm not the one to make that call :).
If you unminify the thing, pausing is already a function in there.

pause: function() {
this.paused = !0;
return this
},
It likely won't be too difficult to stick a pause/resume button in a corner somewhere, perhaps? Could be tricky to reference the function, but I looked at the code as a whole at 5 in the morning with one eye barely open so I wouldn't know.

Last edited: