Em8er - Character Creation

P

punkbuzter#6186

Just a place for all of you guys and gals to share your favorite character creators. Grummz asked us for inputs about which character creators we liked the most, but as I joined late and there wasn't rly time to think it through I suppose this will be a good place to catch up :)
I'll be guessing most of you like the advanced ones like in APB:R but if you could also explain "why" that would maybe narrow down which aspects was actually the most important to you...
For example, I like the creator in Aion because it wasn't a clutter, it had a lot of sliders but it never felt I never knew what each of them did to my character.
I also liked Vindictus's because it was smooth, easy on the eyes, and had a clean background.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
like unfortunate spacemen because you can customize the visors and some looked funny.

Sonic forces because you can change victory poses add backpacks and change ears etc

like saints row 4 to change voice pitch and voices & make it look goofy too.

Biomutant looks interesting with appearance and how it can affect the attributes/stats

I like metal gear solid V can change many camo colours / patterns, silvers and gold skin etc and the other types of outfits.

I like the effects you can add when moving and some skins have good effects on the actual skin but
would be much better if the effect could work with a whole bunch of skin rather than locked into one.
https://youtu.be/FCUTrtbm7IA

liandri

Omni Ace
Omni Ace
Jul 29, 2016
Zone of Bones, Australia
TES IV: Oblivion. While every character you made was always decidedly ugly and the system itself wasn't the most in-depth, it was enough to make a character that you were happy to play as. I haven't had more fun with a character creator. Black Desert Online had a good amount of customization, especially with hair, but you were still confined to the game's limits. If they relaxed the limits and added more hairstyles, it would probably be better.

Mahdi

Firstclaimer
Jul 26, 2016
South Carolina, US
Aion, I believe, set the tone for all character creation since that time. I see a lot of the same kinds of builds so I won't say I have a fav, but the first I can recall is Aion so yes, balanced without clutter was a great way to put it.

I do like to have voice options too, silly or real. Although voice packages will be much farther down the road.

Nov 2, 2020
The more options the better.

Lots of hairstyles, color wheels instead of set pallets, facial sculpting, height and build sliders, the works. Basically, I should be able to make anything from a space dwarf with a massive beard to a 6' 5" oiled up gigachad.

Obviously a lot of options means a lot of work for the animation team. They'd need to be really smart with their seat designs and have some good IK to cover the difference in proportions, but I think an excellent character creator would be worth the extra effort.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2019
Something like Black Desert Online for bodies/faces mashed up with Saints Row 2/3. Saints Row 2 for clothing. That layering thing was awesome.

Basically, more customization is always better. Plus a "beauty gallery" so people can just copy and fine-tune if they aren't inclined to spend hours in the character creator.

Faeryl

Omni Ace
Staff member
Community Manager
Kaiju Slayer
Jul 26, 2016
Planet Earth, USA, East Coast
discord.gg
Basically, more customization is always better. Plus a "beauty gallery" so people can just copy and fine-tune if they aren't inclined to spend hours in the character creator.
I like this idea! Dauntless has basically a "copy loadout" feature when it comes to their cosmetics & gear so you can customize your character that much faster.

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
Thinking about the customization and having sliders is really nice what if we could go a little more into the customization just like modular weapons

You could have your standard items and also have modular accessories/gear lets say they had a name to distinguish from the others e.g. Mod - C short for Modular Customization or that the C could be replaced with an eye symbol.

1618145951264.jpeg

As an example for shoes you could keep the same shoe base and turn it to a different style by either removing or attaching an area such as

- Base Modular foot wear the main housing

- Heel/platform segment various styles and even height

1618151877134.jpeg
1618151004258.jpeg
1618151922250.jpeg

- Sole structure to provide foot position for heels or for natural foot position
1618150904120.jpeg 1618150889662.jpeg

That could lead to gloves such as

- Base glove finger less

- Full covered gloves / semi covered gloves e.g like gambit from X - men
1618150535238.jpeg

- Reinforced gloves (added attachments e.g. knuckle guard etc etc)

Aug 14, 2016
I think Phantasy Star Online 2 has a good creator cheater. The things people can make in that game range from cartoonish to realistic. And some people even recreate characters from things other games and anime with it. There is a new Phantasy Star Online 2 coming out soon with an updated system. Here is an example of it.

Ps.
And yes, if you make female characters there are sliders for things like breast size and shape and angle.

Last edited: