Em-8ER Video Update 7. CHOOSE YOUR WEAPONS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mahdi

Firstclaimer
Jul 26, 2016
South Carolina, US
I do hope you keep the concept of not just using all "purple" resources from firefall. That constrictions will force people to tank or bottom out certain components to optimize their play style. You want faster rate of fire. More damage. Increased power to thrusters. Longer sustained thrusters. Etc etc etc. Not a full list of everything that you can grind out and achieve. Keep the true personalization to each individual and replayability for further testing in what combinations work.

Some people did cry a little bit too much because they didn't have everything or couldn't craft it right. 100% power field up time was totally OP. Sure. But if you were smart enough to get your firecat perma-flight....congrats and cheers. You couldn't accomplish things like that in beta firefall with out sacrificing somewhere.

I think this was the best update video yet. I vote for turret mode and hmg or turret mode and some kind of extreme shield wall. (I love to tank)

Highwater

Mar 14, 2017
[QUOTE="Mahdi, post: 34504, member: 63"do ]
I vote for turret mode and hmg or turret mode and some kind of extreme shield wall. (I love to tank)[/QUOTE]

I thought about somthing similar, a battleshield which blocks frontal damage. Would also be cool to jetram the enemys with the aid of the thrustpacks.

Mar 16, 2017

Highwater

Mar 14, 2017
Both of these, weapon customization would be so sick, and allow for so many different guns.

Each part could allow for something different, like the barrel could allow multiple bullets, or a certain accuracy or whatever. Other attachments to make it a grenade launcher, or an automatic pistol.

Like Borderlands weapons, but sweeter.
Or an laser guided rocket swarm?

Torgue_Joey

Kaiju Slayer
KAIJU 'SPLODER
Jul 27, 2016
Germany
Like Borderlands weapons, but sweeter.
LIKE BORDERLANDS WEAPON, BUT CRAFT ABLE

EXCEPT ELEMENTAL EFFECT. BECAUSE F*CK MALIWAN.

CURRENTLY WE HAVE 3 TYPE OF WEAPONS.

ENERGY (good vs shield and health, bad vs armor.
KINETIC (good vs armor and health, bad vs shield)
EXPLOSIVE (AoE effect, ok vs shield/armor/health)

We'll definitely need a firing-range, perhaps a VR training simulation room, where we can immediately test our customized weapons to see what needs tweaking.

I very much like the idea of swapping out different parts while retaining the basic look of the weapon. It should enable everyone to have 'form and function', instead going for one over the other. I tend to prefer form over function. Which is a bit limiting, but I just cannot run around with a big-ass weapon I don't like the look of. Also hoping for color-customization and patterns, as well, that may or may not automatically match the ones on the omni-frame.

Last edited:

Grummz

$6k package
Community Manager
Ember Dev
Jul 25, 2016
Right now the modular weapon system is an art tool only. We were using this to quickly made new guns for the future versions of Em-8ER. Just wanted to make sure people were aware that you can't swap parts like this in-game. However, we do sell skins and I've some thoughts on this:

1) Omniframes, Thumpers and Weapons are not customizable when you first get them.
2) We sell skins, as our primary business model, to keep staff paid and servers afloat.
3) Each skin is for a particular frame (light,med,heavy) or weapon type (xyz crafted weapon).

The unique twist we have on this, is this:

Each skin you buy can be mixed and matched with parts of other skins you own and the default skin.

So, for example, if you have backed us and obtained the "gold THMPR skin" it would not be part of your "customization library."

The gold skin is entirely gold, but now you could swap out just the gold shoulder or thigh plates or forearms with parts from another other skin you own.

I had not planned on doing this with weapons until now, when you all mentioned how excited you were for customization.

So in that sense, Em8ER does not allow customization, except for skins you earn or purchase, which you can then swap around in parts.

Does that make sense? I have to make sure this will be performant, so I'm not promising this mix and match system definitely yet, but its my current thinking. (Performance reasons is because we feature a lot o players in battles and this limits us in some ways, potentially)

Last edited:

Torgue_Joey

Kaiju Slayer
KAIJU 'SPLODER
Jul 27, 2016
Germany
Right now the modular weapon system is an art tool only. We were using this to quickly made new guns for the future versions of Em-8ER. Just wanted to make sure people were aware that you can't swap parts like this in-game. However, we do sell skins and I've some thoughts on this:

1) Omniframes, Thumpers and Weapons are not customizable when you first get them.
2) We sell skins, as our primary business model, to keep staff paid and servers afloat.
3) Each skin is for a particular frame (light,med,heavy) or weapon type (xyz crafted weapon).

The unique twist we have on this, is this:

Each skin you buy can be mixed and matched with parts of other skins you own and the default skin.

So, for example, if you have backed us and obtained the "gold THMPR skin" it would not be part of your "customization library."

The gold skin is entirely gold, but now you could swap out just the gold shoulder or thigh plates or forearms with parts from another other skin you own.

I had not planned on doing this with weapons until now, when you all mentioned how excited you were for customization.

So in that sense, Em8ER does not allow customization, except for skins you earn or purchase, which you can then swap around in parts.

Does that make sense? I have to make sure this will be performant, so I'm not promising this mix and match system definitely yet, but its my current thinking. (Performance reasons is because we feature a lot o players in battles and this limits us in some ways, potentially)
MUCH BETTER THAN CRAFTING GOOD STATS AND LOOKING UGLY.
I'M SURE MAJORITY OF GAMERS LOVE CUSTOMIZATION. BUT THAT THE CUSTOMIZATION ARE JUST SKIN RELATED WOULD MAKE IT EVEN BETTER.
CRAFT WHAT EVER STATS YOU NEED AND STILL LOOK BADASS.

Aphaz

Deepscanner
Jul 26, 2016
i like how BLR (Blacklight Retribution) did it's weapons "customizable". u'd get a "basic frame" such as an AK47. each gun was "made up" of stock, barrel, scope, magazine and 2 attachments (such as elemental ammo or...).
but the thing i liked wasn't so much that u got a lot of different parts to switch/swap but that every part added/removed from ALL the gun's stats.
like, a bulkier stock would better lower recoil for aimed shots, but hip shots would suffer greater recoil, and u would loose some speed. so the more heavier some part was, it would taka a little bit of movement speed from the player, or scopes had each their own "aim time" as in how much it took to get into scope mode. bigger clips would also increase recoil and so on...
but at least i hope that grummz and gang will consider weapon attachments...here's to hoping
:D

Djepetto

Deepscanner
Oct 1, 2016
WHHHOOOAAAAA!!!! Good, s#!t! This video update was firing on all cylinders. Too mf lit. Loved the Thmpr sound effects! When it laughed I lol'd in response. I was like, "HOLY S#!t" when I seen the Razor effects with the Geo- Suits. I'm buying a new Razor keyboard and mouse, asap! Really hope melee weapons are implemented at some point. Can't go wrong with plasma firearms but I hope to see maybe a Bow and Arrow and even a cross bow with plasma and regular arrows? The BEST UPDATE YET @Grummz !!!!! You got me in my feelings over this one!!!! The hype is too real! Can't wait for the next installment!

Grummz

$6k package
Community Manager
Ember Dev
Jul 25, 2016
Seems like everyone is happy with the weapon set we picked and just have suggestions for old favs to come back.

One big suggestion seems to be to include a turret. Turrets are part of the light frame, but for the demo it doesn't matter much. I might look into that one if we have the time.

PIghead Elderberry

Kaiju Slayer
JUMBO KAIJU SLAYER
Jun 4, 2017
CA USA
The Charge Rifle was always my favorite gun in Firefall. I loved the versatility of having both a high rate of fire, low damage weapon and a high burst damage, low RoF weapon in one package. Plus it had more flare than a typical sniper rifle or assault rifle which is common place in most shooters these days.
I liked the charge rifle as well. I really like the HKM for it - nice visuals and sounds to go with room clearing or blasting at an invasion force! It was really nice to see through the AOE HKM bubble rather than have it just be a huge blast blotting things out entirely (which also can be fun, of course).

PIghead Elderberry

Kaiju Slayer
JUMBO KAIJU SLAYER
Jun 4, 2017
CA USA

That sounds like a really good way to run customization. It would give people a lot more choice and mean that there are not just 100 people in the 'custom blue parrot costume' and another 200 in the 'purple penguin suit' but all looking like clones of one another in each 'custom' suit. If it worked out, it would still entice people to buy multiple skins.

Warframe lets you sort of do a variation of that with their highlights and such on each bit of gear so that you can tweak things a great deal within the same 'skin' by changing the hightlights/accents etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.