EM-8ER Lore: Name origins?

EvilKitten

Ark Liege
Jul 26, 2016
I've been looking at the name EM8ER and trying to figure out exactly where we get the name. I did some digging to see what I could come up with. What I found is that a relatively microscopic number of stars are conventionally named, as there are billions of celestial objects out there to catalog and name. For the rest of those unloved stars, there are literally dozens of current naming conventions.

Take a look here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_catalogue
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bright_Star_Catalogue

Almost all of these appear to use the prefix for the particular catalogue followed by a number to designate the particular object. So my thought was that EM-8ER could be done exactly the same way.

EM would stand for the the catalogue name in the Crixa Universe, for example we could call it "Earth Measured Catalogue". This catalogue would list out the top 25,000 star systems most likely to contain Goldilocks planets as measured from Earth. It would have been produced when earth first unlocked the capability of sending colonies out to the stars, as having viable planets would suddenly have become much more important.

Since 8ER is a bit unconventional for existing cataloging systems, I had the idea that the listing could use base 36 (0-Z) instead of base 10 for its numbering convention, thus we would end up with stars EM-000 through EM-JAG. EM-8ER would therefore come out to EM-10899 if converted back into base 10.

EDIT: Technically EM-000 through EM-00S in this catalogue would actually be those already settled. Earth's star being EM-000 could end up being turned into some sort of in universe slang. Or alternately characters might be classified by a prefix of their star system, 0-S. Earther's might be called Zero's or Naughts, incidentally any character born on EM-8ER might be called Eighters (8'ERs).

The stars are ranked on viability, so those with proven goldilocks planets come at the front (000) while the stars least viable (of the top 25k) are ranked last. A rank of 10,899 would be at the 60th percentile in the list, which would fit with a planet with a viable yet deadly (poisonous) biosphere.

A part of the story might revolve around why someone would skip EM-00T through EM-8EQ which would have a higher viability, perhaps some sort of discovery or other event that caused a radical rethink on where to explore? Or perhaps a new technology that dramatically changed how viable a world needed to be before it could be colonized.

Ok so probably most people could care less about this, but I felt it would be a little tidbit of lore to make the game a little richer. It also might be important to have a convention if characters within the game want to reference other viable planets, given that the story revolves quite a bit around a sudden "goldrush" of planetary exploration.

Last edited:

Torgue_Joey

Kaiju Slayer
KAIJU 'SPLODER
Jul 27, 2016
Germany
I had an idea/plan on writing my "lore version" of the planet. BUT I'M LAZY AS F*CK LIKE A GALACTIC CHAMPION.

Any volunteer to voice chat with me? To note everything down and write my "lore"? xD

For me, there's four things about Em8er. It's a expression of Fire Fall in that fire are it's embers, that is it's a spiritual successor of that.

It's also the embers of civilisation that where once a bright burning flame that spread itself across the universe, but has slowly become dimmer and dimmer like the last remnants of that fire.

Also, languages like anyother evolve and change, much in the way within Bladerunner; the spoken language became something different so in the universe for Em8er it also has moved onwards.

Also, Three plus Five is eight ;)

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
In my imaginary world i could see the earth destroyed by some catastrophic event
as torgue joey likes his boom boom well this was a major KABLEWY
But how was earth blown up it had to do with a dark purplish mist which irradiated virtually all life
and corroded the earths core causing a chain reaction :O

Escaping earth in pods/spacecrafts scattered to various planets
and others wondering aimlessly in space with damaged communications and
only their life support function

Those who entered the new planets identified them by the Earth Marker (EM) that have similar properties to the original earth to a degree and a (number) for that Extraction Region for example EM-1ER would be a low region for extracting from the planet.
The highest number 8 has the most to gain not only that but it has shown signs of unique life forms!

Thankfully due to the large contents of various minerals/metals... construction got underway
to create a base, mechs used for all sorts of purpose in the harsh conditions.

EM-8ER was the planet that most eventually located others in the alternative planets
either are mia or have perished!

All hope is not lost perhaps the new earth is EM-8ER?

Grummz

$6k package
Community Manager
Ember Dev
Jul 25, 2016
I had been thinking of star naming conventions and planet conventions when coming up with EM-8ER. I like the idea of coming up with the naming scheme. If I can, I will take your idea and perhaps simplify it so we can explain it quickly enough in a story form (NPC text, etc.).

I've been looking at the name EM8ER and trying to figure out exactly where we get the name. I did some digging to see what I could come up with. What I found is that a relatively microscopic number of stars are conventionally named, as there are billions of celestial objects out there to catalog and name. For the rest of those unloved stars, there are literally dozens of current naming conventions.

Take a look here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_catalogue
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bright_Star_Catalogue

Almost all of these appear to use the prefix for the particular catalogue followed by a number to designate the particular object. So my thought was that EM-8ER could be done exactly the same way.

EM would stand for the the catalogue name in the Crixa Universe, for example we could call it "Earth Measured Catalogue". This catalogue would list out the top 25,000 star systems most likely to contain Goldilocks planets as measured from Earth. It would have been produced when earth first unlocked the capability of sending colonies out to the stars, as having viable planets would suddenly have become much more important.

Since 8ER is a bit unconventional for existing cataloging systems, I had the idea that the listing could use base 36 (0-Z) instead of base 10 for its numbering convention, thus we would end up with stars EM-000 through EM-JAG. EM-8ER would therefore come out to EM-10899 if converted back into base 10.

EDIT: Technically EM-000 through EM-00S in this catalogue would actually be those already settled. Earth's star being EM-000 could end up being turned into some sort of in universe slang. Or alternately characters might be classified by a prefix of their star system, 0-S. Earther's might be called Zero's or Naughts, incidentally any character born on EM-8ER might be called Eighters (8'ERs).

The stars are ranked on viability, so those with proven goldilocks planets come at the front (000) while the stars least viable (of the top 25k) are ranked last. A rank of 10,899 would be at the 60th percentile in the list, which would fit with a planet with a viable yet deadly (poisonous) biosphere.

A part of the story might revolve around why someone would skip EM-00T through EM-8EQ which would have a higher viability, perhaps some sort of discovery or other event that caused a radical rethink on where to explore? Or perhaps a new technology that dramatically changed how viable a world needed to be before it could be colonized.

Ok so probably most people could care less about this, but I felt it would be a little tidbit of lore to make the game a little richer. It also might be important to have a convention if characters within the game want to reference other viable planets, given that the story revolves quite a bit around a sudden "goldrush" of planetary exploration.

Faeryl

Omni Ace
Staff member
Community Manager
Kaiju Slayer
Jul 26, 2016
Planet Earth, USA, East Coast
discord.gg
For me, there's four things about Em8er. It's a expression of Fire Fall in that fire are it's embers, that is it's a spiritual successor of that.

It's also the embers of civilisation that where once a bright burning flame that spread itself across the universe, but has slowly become dimmer and dimmer like the last remnants of that fire.

Also, languages like anyother evolve and change, much in the way within Bladerunner; the spoken language became something different so in the universe for Em8er it also has moved onwards.

Also, Three plus Five is eight ;)
@NanoTechnician , that right up there is a cool idea! :)