• I dislike it!

Votes: 8 28.6%

• Total voters

Rocket

Max Kahuna
Max Kahina
Jul 26, 2016
Australia
Just name it "Credits" and be done with It I say!
Credits. That was a Firefall currency.

It was also the dumbest thing they ever did. They replaced the premium currency (Red Beans) with another premium currency (Credits). And all in the name of preventing gold sellers. Great way to fuck over your backers.

Funny thing though. Warframe did (and still does) an outstanding job of having a single premium currency (Plat), and they don't have a gold seller problem. Sure, they still have to deal with CC fraud, but they do that by just rolling back transactions and disabling accounts. Those that play by the rules, don't get hurt.

I don't think the name really matters that much, just as long as we don't have the stupid number of different currencies that Firefall ended up with.

PIghead Elderberry

Kaiju Slayer
JUMBO KAIJU SLAYER
Jun 4, 2017
CA USA
I don't mind CE, but something that pays homage to the Grummage would be better.

If Marks are too Grummish, how about Grums. We could then go Grumming for Grums and be Grummaging all the time in the Grumlands.

Can we think of a nice reason for Grums?

Gathered Resource Unit Markers

Great Random Uber Menches

Grossly Red Upchucked Meals

Kaiju teeth makes sense if we harvest them from kills...

Or we could just stick with Navelium...

I always imagine that physical money - bills and coins - would eventually disappear and just like in sci-fi games and such, there will be exclusively virtual currency used through identification cards and it would be globally called "credits." Just "credits." Simple as that.

In-game, some people probably like to have an amount they like to see in the corner of their character info, of whatever currency there is, but we could do away with that in Em-8er. It's hassle we don't need, probably. Trading collected and scrapped resources would have to drive the economy.

Schmuky

Base Commander
Base Commander
Apr 5, 2017
Transylvania
well i dont like it at all and here is why
In FF we had Crystal because it was a mineral used to power up the ship (if i am not mistaken) , and after the crash, it started apear everywhere. So in post-apoc world FF was set in, that was the easiest thing to use as currency. It also had value as a mineral but also as a Exchange Unit, so the higher-ups wanted that mineral and it was a easy and effective way to get more.
Now thing about Fallout, the currency there is bottle caps because there was no way to make more, so it had a standard value, but with no use of its own. People just decided that caps shall become money.

2 ways to do it, each with pros and cons.

For the FF version:
Pros:-can get more from playing random and killing things
-makes sense in this universe
-also makes sense game wise (why tf are spiders dropping copper or silver coins?! what diet do they have? A mineral might be found inside plants and animals throu environmental exposure or mutation cause by that mineral)

Cons:-as far as i can tell, all minerals in Em8er might be for thumping, so in order to use one as a currency, well that one might need something extra, maybe a use in the lore, like rocket fuel or something.

The Fallout version:
Pros: -no inflation
-great idea (but single player games...)
cons:-having a fixed number or caps per world is gonna suck if we have a few fast exploreres that might find them all
-no sense in this universe as using remnants from the Tsi-Hu world as money is kinda...meh

3rd option might be this: In line with the Lore, 24 colonies got together and one point. They surely started trading and in order to do that, they had to come up with a currency that works for eveyone. The reapers were using that currency before and after the Enshigi attack, so i dont think they needed to change it. Could be called some basic like "Galaxy Credits/Units" or something like that. The problem again here is that GU should not come from mobs, so maybe use this as the paid currency.

For the main game, i would say try and set up a special mineral in the lore, a mineral that can be found anywhere in the world and use that as money. Because called the money Common Exchange Unit is all fine and good, but Tsi-Hu and Kaiju dont have that on them when you kill them. So money will only come from missions (which are not planned yet).

Mahdi

Firstclaimer
Jul 26, 2016
South Carolina, US
Would it be too difficult to have multiple currencies? Have a generic universal form of exchange that comes from interstellar governments. But with the lore and frontier lifestyle, we would find something more valuable than that currency. Base the value and types off the phases of terraforming. Create different ways of collecting it. Not just a mineral in thumping but something that has a chance to turn up. The orbital base would be the same as main hubs in firefall, using basic currency. But some of the towns further out looked worn down, rusty shacks etc. They would be more of an exchange of goods than currency. I also think of deepstriking into a Tsi-Hu time phase and finding the same mineral, component or kaiju part but it would be corrupted or touched in a different way therefore being the premium value. Reward the exploration and development of biomes.

In FF we had Crystal because it was a mineral used to power up the ship (if i am not mistaken) , and after the crash, it started apear everywhere. So in post-apoc world FF was set in, that was the easiest thing to use as currency. It also had value as a mineral but also as a Exchange Unit, so the higher-ups wanted that mineral and it was a easy and effective way to get more.
Now thing about Fallout, the currency there is bottle caps because there was no way to make more, so it had a standard value, but with no use of its own. People just decided that caps shall become money.

2 ways to do it, each with pros and cons.

For the FF version:
Pros:-can get more from playing random and killing things
-makes sense in this universe
-also makes sense game wise (why tf are spiders dropping copper or silver coins?! what diet do they have? A mineral might be found inside plants and animals throu environmental exposure or mutation cause by that mineral)

Cons:-as far as i can tell, all minerals in Em8er might be for thumping, so in order to use one as a currency, well that one might need something extra, maybe a use in the lore, like rocket fuel or something.

The Fallout version:
Pros: -no inflation
-great idea (but single player games...)
cons:-having a fixed number or caps per world is gonna suck if we have a few fast exploreres that might find them all
-no sense in this universe as using remnants from the Tsi-Hu world as money is kinda...meh

3rd option might be this: In line with the Lore, 24 colonies got together and one point. They surely started trading and in order to do that, they had to come up with a currency that works for eveyone. The reapers were using that currency before and after the Enshigi attack, so i dont think they needed to change it. Could be called some basic like "Galaxy Credits/Units" or something like that. The problem again here is that GU should not come from mobs, so maybe use this as the paid currency.

For the main game, i would say try and set up a special mineral in the lore, a mineral that can be found anywhere in the world and use that as money. Because called the money Common Exchange Unit is all fine and good, but Tsi-Hu and Kaiju dont have that on them when you kill them. So money will only come from missions (which are not planned yet).
I have figured that they've already developed a currency they use between them, but (considering they'll be on a dangerous , wild, in some parts desolate planet, with extreme conditions, that they would slowly start to terra-form, growing out of one small more habitable pocket to the next), then what would they spend that money on, initially.

Everyone would start out with more or less basic gear. Some time would need to pass, between the first troops that set foot on Em-8er and the ones who will be US, the players, so by the time we arrive, they may not be much playing area, still. They'd still be messing with the first couple of bases (like in FF), but there would be a well-established economy and resource trading. So, we could actually spend the common currency on...modding parts, crafting resources, cosmetics...etc.

Would it be too difficult to have multiple currencies? Have a generic universal form of exchange that comes from interstellar governments. But with the lore and frontier lifestyle, we would find something more valuable than that currency. Base the value and types off the phases of terraforming. Create different ways of collecting it. Not just a mineral in thumping but something that has a chance to turn up. The orbital base would be the same as main hubs in firefall, using basic currency. But some of the towns further out looked worn down, rusty shacks etc. They would be more of an exchange of goods than currency. I also think of deepstriking into a Tsi-Hu time phase and finding the same mineral, component or kaiju part but it would be corrupted or touched in a different way therefore being the premium value. Reward the exploration and development of biomes.
It could be Em-8er's equivalent of the different vouchers we collected in different areas in FF. There could still be vouchers to use as area-specific currency or it could be replaced with your suggestion of unique resources from a region that would need to be used to buy and trade. It could also be coupled with the existing currency to make it easier to meet prices. e.g.: An [Item] could cost either X amount of Unique Resource(s) or X amount of Credits + smaller amount(s) of) Unique Resource(s), if one doesn't have enough of the resources. I mean, those merchants that would establish businesses, farther out, during later stages of the exploration and expansion (in later versions of the game, as the game-world would expand) would still need actual money/the common currency. Unless one of them decides to create bitCurrency and scams people out of every other type of currency to make them invest in it. :)

Last edited:

Mahdi

Firstclaimer
Jul 26, 2016
South Carolina, US
"It could also be couple with the existing currency to make it easier to meet prices. e.g.: An [Item] could cost either X amount of Unique Resource(s) or X amount of Credits + smaller amount(s) of) Unique Resource(s)"

Exactly the line if thought I was on. Only addition would be the resource having a higher ratio in value to the currency. Beginner biome, universal currency only. Next level resource X is a 4:1 ratio. Next biome wpuld be 6:1. Third would be 10:1 and for the time phase touched resource wouldn't even have a ratio but be it's own, highly sought after, currency due to the challenge of getting it. Keeping the popular risk vs reward play style going.

"It could also be couple with the existing currency to make it easier to meet prices. e.g.: An [Item] could cost either X amount of Unique Resource(s) or X amount of Credits + smaller amount(s) of) Unique Resource(s)"

Exactly the line if thought I was on. Only addition would be the resource having a higher ratio in value to the currency. Beginner biome, universal currency only. Next level resource X is a 4:1 ratio. Next biome wpuld be 6:1. Third would be 10:1 and for the time phase touched resource wouldn't even have a ratio but be it's own, highly sought after, currency due to the challenge of getting it. Keeping the popular risk vs reward play style going.
And the key...in every MMO (avoid that word, but still) or the game Em-8er will be...will have to be keeping up people's interest with a rewarding experience that will keep them invested and provide enough fun and challenge, every time.

Schmuky

Base Commander
Base Commander
Apr 5, 2017
Transylvania
I have figured that they've already developed a currency they use between them, but (considering they'll be on a dangerous , wild, in some parts desolate planet, with extreme conditions, that they would slowly start to terra-form, growing out of one small more habitable pocket to the next), then what would they spend that money on, initially.

Everyone would start out with more or less basic gear. Some time would need to pass, between the first troops that set foot on Em-8er and the ones who will be US, the players, so by the time we arrive, they may not be much playing area, still. They'd still be messing with the first couple of bases (like in FF), but there would be a well-established economy and resource trading. So, we could actually spend the common currency on...modding parts, crafting resources, cosmetics...etc.
asked mark a few months back about that, we will start the game a few months after the first reapers get there, but will still be "First Generation Reapers", so not enough time to swap from global currency to a planet specific one

Schmuky

Base Commander
Base Commander
Apr 5, 2017
Transylvania
when i say "mineral" in regard to the FF crystite, i dont mean a mineral you can get from thumping, i mean a different material or mineral that is abundant and you can get from killing mobs, like we got crystite in FF. Thmping mineral should be a different category.

The main point i am trying to make is that FF had a nice and kinda logical system where killing random mobs gets you $$. I really dont like games, like WoW for ex, in which the currency is gold, silver, copper, and you get that from killing a spider.... where did the spider get that from?!. In FF, having crystite, which was a mineral that mutated the fauna and flora and was also used as power supply for the frames, ships etc (I remember Oilspill or Aero saying something like " Crystite is used to power your frame and has no long health dangers...as far as we know") made sense. Made sense why you would collect it, made sense why it would be used as currecy, it just made sense and that was something that i really liked in FF. It was a small thing, but it mattered.

Now for Em8er, the same "story" could be used. "This alien planet has this really powerful resource that drives all the life around, we managed to use this for out Frames and our ships, please collect it! Also, you can use it as $$ between you guys, get better gear etc". That is fine, maybe a bit repetative, but waay better than having a Kaiju drop "Credits".

EvilKitten

Ark Liege
Jul 26, 2016
I am with Schmucky here, the reapers are going to be using whatever currency is being used by all of humanity, so whatever form of currency used that needs to be reflected in the lore. It makes little sense to suddenly throw away your existing money the moment you find a new planet.

I also feel that having multiple currencies confuses things way too much, it would be much simpler to simply have one currency. Either barter with resources or pay in said currency.