I wanted this conversation to be separate from the one about what weapons we'd like to see in-game, their behavior, balance, customization...etc.

Would it be (eventually) feasible to allow for such an expansion of the gun-play in Ember? I'm not just thinking of wielding two identical weapons, or just two weapons of the same type with different effects, but having different weapons in each 'mecha-hand'. Not only weapons, but shields. Projected energy shields. Metal shields. While I'm not the shield-using type, at all, I'm certain many would favor e.g.: a shotgun + shield combo. Move closer and closer to the enemy, blocking attacks and then when there's an opening, blast them from up-close.

With the power in the arms of the mechanized suits, wielding two larger-than-normal sabers. 'Energy' sabers, as a stronger version. Have an SMG in one hand and a blade or a small shield in the other.

Actively using the shield would slow movement. Some energy shields, ones projected, could even be fired at the enemy, causing damage or stun, then reforming on the mech's arm, recharged, with some time in between, until they could be projected again. Some could even absorb damage and do more when launched (like Athena's Aspis in Borderlands).

Would the mechs even need to hold a weapon with both hands? Obviously they could be modded so heavily that even the strength of the servos in one arm wouldn't be enough to support a rocket or grenade launcher, without the use of the other arm. Those gearing their mech to use such heavy weaponry obviously couldn't benefit from a dual-wield system.

Those who'd want to gear towards versatility would have even more options through a dual-wield system.

I cannot believe I had to be reminded of dual-wielding, when I looked at Project Genom. How the hell did I forget to think about it, all this time, while playing Firefall!? Although I didn't see the dual-wielding animation in Project Genom, given that our weapons will be held in the arms of our mech or will be mounted on them, the animation shouldn't look too awkward.

Aug 14, 2016
I love the idea. In one game I played years ago one of my favorite characters was a person who used a sword in one hand and gun in the other hand at once. It allowed them to be great at both long range and close range combat at once, at the cost of having a much lower defense than other characters. Making it so that to stay alive you had to always be moving, dashing around to make yourself harder to hit. One of my fav combos was to dash in close to an enemy stabbing them in chest or back, and while my sword was still inside their body fire a few shots into their body or head (going by what gun I was using at the time), then finishing them off by throwing the body to side with my sword or kicking them off my sword with my foot.

Omnires is not just my name it is how I like to fight too. I just jumping between different weapons, stances, and ranges while in the middle of combat.

I'd say the issue of it would be that it would require separate animations for each type and for each hand unless it's only a thing that is carried on the left hand beit a energy shield, physical shield or piece of steel shield, it also has to be designed not to clip into the models as well. Still think it's a viable idea tho.

Daynen

Aug 3, 2016
Seriously, Mark just needs to go binge on the Armored Core series for awhile and come back. That will probably solve like 75% of his design dilemmas for the Omniframe. Even just AC4 and AC4A. Just...that.

Just not ACV. That one had some good ideas, but in the end it trashed everything.

Legend57

Omega Founder
Em-8er Contributor
Jul 27, 2016
Estonia
Honestly I'd be quite disappointed if Dual-Wielding isn't a thing - it's one of my favourite things in games

And the shield idea is great too, though should the system be limited similar to WoW with the "Off-Hand" and "Main-Hand" setup or would you rather have it unlimited and be able to potentially wield two shields in either hand and run defense for your double-gun buddy? :D

@NanoTechnician - I wouldn't worry too much about the animations, they'd have to make them for so many things either way that this wouldn't affect the workload too significantly, however the Clipping issue is something that should definitely be considered as it could potentially ruin a lot of the immersion

Aug 14, 2016
Honestly I'd be quite disappointed if Dual-Wielding isn't a thing - it's one of my favourite things in games

And the shield idea is great too, though should the system be limited similar to WoW with the "Off-Hand" and "Main-Hand" setup or would you rather have it unlimited and be able to potentially wield two shields in either hand and run defense for your double-gun buddy? :D

@NanoTechnician - I wouldn't worry too much about the animations, they'd have to make them for so many things either way that this wouldn't affect the workload too significantly, however the Clipping issue is something that should definitely be considered as it could potentially ruin a lot of the immersion
Remember in real life you can use shields to attack too, they not just for blocking. In battle, many people used their shields like hammers to bash to things with. It was noted in many battles and wars, before they gun was invented, that people were killed by taking blows from shields. Namely, the edge of the shield as people used it as an extension of the arm to punch with greater force. Not counting to using the shield to charge into the enemy ranks to try and break up their formations.

Also, notice how in this anime the mecha uses a large heavy shield to charged at enemies.

I've seen some poor things slip through, personally, if it's kept simple then it's harder for things to go wayward. When you start to pull apart other games mechanics, you really start to understand the time and effort that goes into each element that makes up the whole. It's like one of the head models in FF. One looks like it's sunburnt and it's y axis is offset and clips though the body (waa!).