Down time gameplay

Volgrim

Forerunner
Jan 14, 2019
Hello! I am a new backer here for Em8er, and was also a backer with firefall. I am excited to see the new development process unfold with this new game.

As the title says, I am interested in how the gameplay will be when you are just hanging out. One thing Firefall lacked was a social experience during down time. You were always suns up, guns up. I would like to see perhaps a sling/draw weapon system where you can walk around unarmed in your social getup.

Kind of an odd first thing to talk about, but it was the only thing I found shortsighted in firefall, so there it is. Obviously the armored mech and pilot suit separation is a great start since we won't always be clad in bulky armor. I am optimistic that my ideal social experience is already within their scope of development.

What do you guys think?

Wyntyr

Omni Ace
Ark Liege
Jul 26, 2016
Florida
I think this may have been brought up before but I'm not positive. I hope there's a hub of sorts as well so peeps can show off their Reaper's bling (that's not part of the Omni-frame). Could possibly help market the cosmetic goodies and give folks a place to lounge about between killin and lootin and sheet. Since Em.8ER is still very young there's going to be plenty of time to find out if something like this will be added or not.

Maven

Kaiju Slayer
Max Kahuna
Philanthropist
Jul 26, 2016
This requires clarification from Grummz, but the way I see it, nothing is actually forcing you to remain in your omniframe while walking around the relative safety of a base. Unlike Firefall's frames, the omniframe is a combat-specific tool that can be 'summoned/unsummoned' as required, and hence one would assume that players have the option of being without one if they so please. This is also indicated by the fact that you can ride your bikes all the way up to the battlefront and then 'summon' the omniframe as required. So yes, I believe you likely have the freedom to walk around in whatever casual gear you choose.

The concept art shown for the bases also indicate a secure stronghold-like zone that should provide relative safety should you choose to be without an omniframe.

Base.JPG

As for what activities are available during the 'downtime': that's yet to be detailed. Probably a question to be asked during a Chief Chat. This would probably fall under 'additional stuff' outside the core gameplay and likely will take time to develop.

@Mahdi : That would be the base interior detail that you are referencing. This was discussed in the Video Update #12

and further clarified in the Chief Chat on 9th August

https://forums.em8er.com/threads/chief-chat-video-9-august-2018-new-chief-chat-notification.1281/

Basically, entering a base building while you are in your omniframe will auto-'unsummon' the omniframe.

Maven

Kaiju Slayer
Max Kahuna
Philanthropist
Jul 26, 2016
Is there just 1 stronghold or could we expect to see special strongholds for clans as well?
It is a base concept art, so likely all bases will follow similar patterns.

The concept art shows a structure that's called 'Housing of the High Authorities'. [Speculation Start] This likely is a structure unique to the central hub, Em-8ER's very own version of Trans-Hub. Doesn't make sense for every base to have a 'Central High Authority Building'. If you look at this artwork:

Base1.JPG

you can see that the base resembles the one in the concept art, hence my assumption that all bases will likely follow a similar pattern with additions as required. [Speculation End]

As for clan bases, if by clan you mean guild, this was discussed in the same chief chat:

https://forums.em8er.com/threads/chief-chat-video-9-august-2018-new-chief-chat-notification.1281/

Jump to 1:14:14 for the discussion regarding the Home-base and guild bases.

Basically the plan is that each guild will have its own arkship/platform that can be docked to the home-base in space. Remember though that the game is in a very early stage and stuff may/can change depending upon the complexity of implementation.

Volgrim

Forerunner
Jan 14, 2019
Clan or guild common areas are often instanced in most games, so it would make sense to have them orbit the planet in space as a ship of some sort.

Would be a neat incentive if you could start with a smaller ship then upgrade to bigger ships as your group contributes to expanding their assets as a team.

Said ships could have all kinds of neat areas like a launch bay to send dropships to the surface, marketplace terminals (if that ends up being a thing), a bridge to hang out in, etc.

Torgue_Joey

Kaiju Slayer
KAIJU 'SPLODER
Jul 27, 2016
Germany
Clan or guild common areas are often instanced in most games, so it would make sense to have them orbit the planet in space as a ship of some sort.

Would be a neat incentive if you could start with a smaller ship then upgrade to bigger ships as your group contributes to expanding their assets as a team.

Said ships could have all kinds of neat areas like a launch bay to send dropships to the surface, marketplace terminals (if that ends up being a thing), a bridge to hang out in, etc.
Is there just 1 stronghold or could we expect to see special strongholds for clans as well?
SINCE THE LORE STATED THAT THE GATESTRIDER HAD "HOUSES" AND THOSE HOUSES HAD THEIR OWN ARKSHIP.

GUILDS CAN BE HOUSES AND WITH ENOUGH POWER/POINTS THEY CAN HAVE THEIR OWN INSTANCED ARKSHIP AS A GUILD HALL.

MAKE IT F*CKING HAPPEN. MY CULT NEED AN BIG ASS MOTHERF*CKING ARKSHIP!

Dec 15, 2016
Would there be different kinds or classes of arkships to select or can it be classless so that each arkship is unique in function to each other?

Thorp

Omni Ace
Jul 27, 2016
California, CA
I'd actually like to see mini-games within city hubs to give players more opportunities to linger around.

Bowling, billiards, chess, checkers, musical instruments (LOTRO). Give the players who do roleplay, and the ones that do not roleplay, something to do while they linger around or take it easy. Give the players more opportunities to exist in the world.

I remember with Firefall I loved to chime in when world chat asked for help but there were days the world was quiet. So was I just going to sit around or hope for a PvP proc? I usually logged out. At least with minigames I would be more inclined to stick around on slow days...or I could log in and plan to take it slow and still appreciate the game world.

Will minigames reduce the amount of people playing the actual game? Maybe, but at least there are more people within the game world. Will the minigames take up development time? Yes but speculatively at the gain of player hours.

Financially speaking even if the minigames kept players logged in longer the minigames alone will not generate revenue for a f2p after purchase game. However the sale of emotes, billard skins, bowling ball skins, special effects...there could be some cash flow there or at least an ingame-currency sink.