Don't nationalize this game

Do you agree with me?

• Total voters

TankHunter678

Jul 26, 2016
And yet there should not be anything to censor. We are talking about an alternate universe with 28 seperate human civilizations, with nothing in common but common ancestors and a FTL means of communication. We can safely assume that our current earthly designations do not exist any more.

If we are going to go for an alternative reality, then let's start by not dragging our existing crap along with us. Initial artistic interpretations are all well and good, but let's not carry it through to an alpha or beta product that needs to have universal appeal.
And going by that there is no reason to exclude any modern day flag because they could have been recreated by any of those 28 human civilizations which may or may not have multiple countries on their planets each with their own flag. They could even have existed within the Crixia universe tied to something completely different then our reality.

And the self censorship options is good because well, people argue to get games censored for everyone when they are the ones with the issue. Instead there should be options to censor them for yourself if you are offended by that. At least then people who want to see that content get to see it.

NitroMidgets

Tsi-Hu Hunter
Jul 27, 2016
Dupont, WA
I heard the EEOC is investigating the Don't Tread On Me flag as being racially charged form of harassment. Can we not get mixed up in trying to find new reasons to be offended. We already have a thread in the OT where we all got offended and un-offended.

I support the Pirate Flag or the Ragnars Raven. If that offends the British, well you should be able to take a joke. You already spent how long taking orders from Merkel?

Btabc

Veteran
Jul 28, 2016
Florida
www.facebook.com
The MEK-A I'm designing (altering) does not represent any nationality and instead has some tribal art on it. However how I look at it is that no matter what happens SOMEONE will be offended... *rolls eyes* it's part of life. To get around this... include A LOT of flags. Don't just localize it to a few countries, include as many as you can OR just make a entirely new one without having to make more flags.

I like flags of all kinds. I can see them in use even on another world as reminders of our Earthly heritage perhaps, and if we are on another world entirely, they don't have any other relevance. I really don't care one way or another, but if there is going to be a flag representing a certain country, there should be flags for EVERY country so everyone can be represented if they so choose.

Yes, it was really strange that FF only offered 2 flags.
The symbols on the THMPR are all just concept art. I want to have a decal system in the game and you can put what you want. Including the Stars and Stripes. I'm also looking at classic pinup art for frames, for example.

I'm not a PC person, so we're not going to tip toe around and try not to offend anyone with a decal. Instead, I'm looking at options where customers can simply "mute the look" of anything they find offends them. So you could turn off decals for anything you don't like seeing, for example, and you will get decal-less version of a frame. Same for certain outfits on characters, which would just set that character to its default look. Personally I believe such filtering should be under user control and not game censorship.
Would it be ok to "submit" images for approval?! Tribal images are always a good design in my book! ;)
This is one I did for FF and HOPEFULLY the Devs on there look at it, but I thought it'd be interesting to put it here and see if this (similar) would be acceptable?

Aphaz

Deepscanner
Jul 26, 2016
hahahahaha this thread is so much fun...nationalists, what funny ppl.
:D
imho nationalism is the modern day PLAGUE and a pointless "measuring of d1cks" (no offence ment).
what i consider myself to be is... A CITIZEN OF THE PLANET

NitroMidgets

Tsi-Hu Hunter
Jul 27, 2016
Dupont, WA
I thought we weren't going to be on this planet?
Meh, everyone comes from somewhere and once out in space who knows who we will connect with the Earth, if at all. Sorry, but we might as well assume we were born in space long after our ancestors left the planet.

TankHunter678

Jul 26, 2016
That looks great though I would suggest taking that design and creating a simpler less detained version of it, if it was on the side of a THMPR it would be really hard to see the tiny details and on lower texture settings it would pretty much be a blur.

ChinoGreen

Firstclaimer
Jul 26, 2016
Texas
Less Decals more Paints/Warpaints selection....Decals can be an idea that should go directly into the trash bin.

Forget decals and assign a number to be stamped on the frame as they join the game....look at me guys im 00001...im 80085 lol etc

Btabc

Veteran
Jul 28, 2016
Florida
www.facebook.com
That looks great though I would suggest taking that design and creating a simpler less detained version of it, if it was on the side of a THMPR it would be really hard to see the tiny details and on lower texture settings it would pretty much be a blur.
Ah thank you! This is greatly helpful!!!! I've done a few similar things (like my userimage) with less detail:

Like this? I know once you increase the image itself it's "blurry", but this was before I adjusted a few settings on my drawing app

Necryel

Jul 30, 2016
Hello everyone!
I may make someone angry, but who knows. Sorry for that, not my intention.

So, national emblems on things in a sci-if game. I hate this idea. It's bad and sad for other countries just to see USA flags and symbols everywhere. It really pisses me off when I see another USA symbol on a thing that isn't directly connected to USA. I know that I'm not the only one.

On T.H.M.P.R. concept art (the one in forum background) we can clearly see a US star. Bad, nationalizing is bad. It looks like every dev is trying to glorify USA. Don't let it make its way into the game as unremovable part of something. No national symbol should be forcefully applied to any item in-game. It's very good when we have it as an option, but it should never be forcefully applied to our items. Ofc same goes for other symbols, not just USA's. Things like Earth or corporations flags are ok, but never make any symbol that may piss of someone.

First all, I think Vedemin is blowing this completely out of proportion, and is in fact being a little silly here. First off, this is CONCEPT ART, art which by definition is being used to illustrate a CONCEPT. The concept with all the stickers on the T.H.M.P.R. is to show the high degree of commercialization the society at large has. It is to imply that corporate sponsors provide some fun for Reapers and or their teams. It also shows that some Reapers may decorate their mechs and show some loyalty to their nation of origin.

Let us remember that EMBER is taking place in the world of CRIXIA and that CRIXIA has numerous nations all separate and apart from earth. In all likelyhood, that "American Star" which Vedemin seems so traumatized by will in no way make it to final art, neither will the Cannon logo as that is also an Earth Corporation. These symbols were simply used because they were easily recognized an well known for what they represent. One a well funded corporation known to sponsor competitive endeavors (such as Nascar teams) and the other a power nation with interest in acquiring a share of territory and resources found in any newly discovered and workable location. By the Ember even gets close to launching, I'm sure there will be a great deal of art covering the Nations/Factions and various Corporations and entities which will be used to replace these currently well known logos. However, if we were to see such stickers NOW, they would be meaningless to use, and the notion of corporate or military sponsorship of Reapers would never come across because we'd have no context for fictionalized labels.

Kern was simply making use of well known labels to make a point, not to say that those specific labels will have any place within the game once it's ready, but to show us the CONCEPT that Reapers may have missions or tasks to perform on behalf of their sponsors if they want to keep those wonderful toys.

Yes, there will no doubt be some degree of nationalism displayed in the game, but that nationalism will be tied to the fictional nations within the Context of Crixia/Ember Lore, and will not be at all representative of any actual political and national body that exists here on Earth. Everyone calm down, and take a moment to THINK before wailing and panicking about being offended by something that was never going to happen in the first place.

Brezals

Deepscanner
Jul 27, 2016
Sweden
www.twitter.com
I heard the EEOC is investigating the Don't Tread On Me flag as being racially charged form of harassment. Can we not get mixed up in trying to find new reasons to be offended. We already have a thread in the OT where we all got offended and un-offended.

I support the Pirate Flag or the Ragnars Raven. If that offends the British, well you should be able to take a joke. You already spent how long taking orders from Merkel?
Well obviously don't tread on me symbol, becuase it represent freedom, and a stance against authority, it is racist, because the people against freedom, thinks "racial minorities" can't take care of themself in a free sociaty. So they think libertarians and other freedom fighters just wants to shit on the poor and weak. Which is just a pathetic admition that they think all poor and weak people are non-white.