discussion: in game terminals

zdoofop

Firstclaimer
Jul 26, 2016
Noneofyourbeeswaxistan
every sci fi game has one. For splinter cell blacklist it's the SMI, for xenoblade chronicles x it's frontiernav, for DCUO it's your pda, even firefall had the sin network. I feel it is time to discuss this in game mechanic.

First, what to call it? how about...Neural Audio-Visual Electronic Link-up (or NAVEL)?

next, how does it work? well, as the name implies, it's a chip installed in your brain that not only controls your mech(s?) but does other things.

other things such as? opening maps, alerts, bounties, inventory, and whatever functions as an auction house for Em8ER.

regarding the map, I posted long ago about being able to access a 3d map of the area instead of the traditional 2d one. It just makes things easier, and before you say anything remember that the real challenge should be fighting the enemy, not finding them. The quicker you get to the action the better. Additionally, it would be cool if you had it like the sin towers were in the og firefall where they needed to be activated and fueled in order to see stuff in the area on the map - perhaps that could be one of the buildings, and you could upgrade it to scan for resources, enemies, or something else.

alerts - a quote from another post:

It's important to have the info available in game, in some immersive fashion: monitoring the war effort from IN-GAME, either by being at 'command centers' if you're chilling off or simply setting personal alerts sent to the player's frame from HQ if you're 'on duty'. Better than doing it via cold chat. Customizable and the like.
basically it will tell you when and where you are being invaded

bounties - since Em8er is questless (yes it is...yuh huh...no you...) I figure we can make our own quests (eg. "assistance in mining x resource at location y" or "take (back) zone b within 30 mins" or "kill kaiju g at location h" etc.)
EDIT: just to be clear, I'll give an example
Player A needs Resource X. He finds it, but is afraid to mine it alone, so he posts to the bounty board "Assistance in mining Resource X at Location Y", and then deposits z+alpha ce for the reward to the bounty. Players B, C and D look at the bounty on their NAVELs (still can't get over that) and help A mine X, after which they each claim a portion of the ce that A posted, depending on how much they helped (eg. if C helped take out beta percent kaiju, he gets beta percent of z, D takes out Gamma percent kaiju, he gets Gamma percent ce, B takes out 1 kaiju, he gets nothing). (btw, all players get the same amount of resource mined, no matter their assistance level, and each person gets full resource, it's not divvied up for each person.)

auction house - only thing I want to say here is that I liked in Firefall how you could post buy orders as well as sell orders, it's another way of making mission objectives, and on top of that the buyer doesn't have to constantly look at the auction house waiting for his/her item to pop up so he/she can snatch it before someone else, as well as offer competitive bidding rates, and for sellers it's great too because if you have a full inventory, you can get rid of stuff you don't need more easily.

Last edited: