Status
Not open for further replies.

Xeevis

Max Kahuna
Max Kahuna
Forum Tech
Jul 26, 2016
www.emberbot.com
Discord is great and we all love it. These guys outdid themselves again and created SDK for game-makers to implement their awesome technology within games. It's middleware worth considering not just because of great features it provides, but also because ...

It's FREE!

And best things in life come free. Should be easy to implement into UE4, it supports dynamic creation of channels so can work well for team chats, zone chats, guild chats (persistent, could also be joined outside the game).

It offers both text chat (with it's many features) and low latency voice chat ... and on top of that it also supports bots (you know I love bots).

Doesn't sound so bad does it? What you guys think?

NoahDVS

Deepscanner
Jul 27, 2016
I've had very little experience with Discord. What kind of impact do you think integrating it would have on the performance/resource usage/loading time of the game? Functionality is great, but are there downsides? Do the new functions have enough importance to justify the downsides?

Xeevis

Max Kahuna
Max Kahuna
Forum Tech
Jul 26, 2016
www.emberbot.com
I see no downsides beside being reliant on 3rd party service. But if I compare beta of Firefall and how chat was broken half the time and beta of Discord which derped like only once or twice in a year I don't think one can do much better with inhouse solution. I don't know what UE4 market has to offer on this front so there may be more solutions to consider.

But this would certainly be time and cost effective, if you grab professional engine, you might as well grab professional middleware. Many developers grab SpeedTree to cut costs on trees and vegetation. This isn't different.

Torgue_Joey

Kaiju Slayer
KAIJU 'SPLODER
Jul 27, 2016
Germany
I see no downsides beside being reliant on 3rd party service. But if I compare beta of Firefall and how chat was broken half the time and beta of Discord which derped like only once or twice in a year I don't think one can do much better with inhouse solution. I don't know what UE4 market has to offer on this front so there may be more solutions to consider.

But this would certainly be time and cost effective, if you grab professional engine, you might as well grab professional middleware. Many developers grab SpeedTree to cut costs on trees and vegetation. This isn't different.
NOT ONLY THAT. MY DEAR F*CKING QUERY-CREATOR.

EMBER HAS A GAWD DAMN LONG F*CKING PATH AHEAD. TILL THEN, THAT AWESOME GAMEBRIDGE HAS REACHED AN F*CKING AWESOMELY "GOD-F*CKING-LIKE" STATUS.
WHERE IT HAS CONQUERED AND DOMINATED THE WORLD.
ONE. F*CKING. WAY. TO SPAM THE UNIVERSE WITH

/QUERY EXPLOSION !

Status
Not open for further replies.