Current Organizational Terminology feels wrong to me

Col. Kernel

Deepscanner
Jul 28, 2016
Just started reading the thread Design Concept: Land Ownership and Terraforming and it struck me that the terminology used to describe teams, clans, and alliances didn't really fit the concept that we're groups of mercs. Therefore, I propose the following;

Team = Squad
Multiple squads = Platoon
Clan = Company
Alliance = Brigade

I have more thoughts on the matter, but I'd like to see what other people have to say first.

Jul 27, 2016
If we're going with mercs, then this would probably work best. Also, each name can be abbreviated to a unique channel, so that's good too. Company and Brigade could alternatively be assigned to Outfit and Company respectively.

Col. Kernel

Deepscanner
Jul 28, 2016
Stick to sci-fi genre terms.
SciFi military usually uses standard military organization. See Starship Troopers, Armor, The Forever War, and so on.

If we're going with mercs, then this would probably work best. Also, each name can be abbreviated to a unique channel, so that's good too. Company and Brigade could alternatively be assigned to Outfit and Company respectively.
I like the separate channels for each unit type.

And there are units I didn't use simply because I don't know how big a raid (assuming there will be raids) would be. Assuming raids of 5 squads or more in size I'd put a Raid = Company in below Platoon, and Clan = Brigade, Alliance = Division in that case. Add Corp = Planet wide.

Sik San

Deepscanner
Jul 26, 2016
Just started reading the thread Design Concept: Land Ownership and Terraforming and it struck me that the terminology used to describe teams, clans, and alliances didn't really fit the concept that we're groups of mercs. Therefore, I propose the following;

Team = Squad
Multiple squads = Platoon
Clan = Company
Alliance = Brigade

I have more thoughts on the matter, but I'd like to see what other people have to say first.

Doesn't rly fit for terraformers imo. It's not an army afaik. Could do for Planetside-like game but not for Ember.

Col. Kernel

Deepscanner
Jul 28, 2016
Doesn't rly fit for terraformers imo. It's not an army afaik. Could do for Planetside-like game but not for Ember.
We are defined as "Mercenaries", and we do fight. And we are both terraformers and resource harvesters.

I'd consider us most like combat engineers, if a classical modern military comparison were made.

Sik San

Deepscanner
Jul 26, 2016
We are defined as "Mercenaries", and we do fight. And we are both terraformers and resource harvesters.

I'd consider us most like combat engineers, if a classical modern military comparison were made.
Yea, I understand that, but something is still wrong for me, dunno why :D

Maybe we can use some business denotations like Corporation since we're mercs.

Last edited:

Col. Kernel

Deepscanner
Jul 28, 2016
Yea, I understand that, but something is still wrong for me, dunno why :D
Play around with it and make some alternate suggestions. Please include how you visualize the teams and their organization when you do.

To give further background on why I went the direction I did;

The worlds we are working on are not rich enough for large corporations to justify their usual mass production approach. Therefore mercenaries were hired. I just watched Wild Geese the other day, saw 13 Hours not too long ago, and the mercs as independent paramilitary organizations just felt right.

Wyntyr

Omni Ace
Ark Liege
Jul 26, 2016
Florida
Differing factions could use different terms to describe the same thing. Also...I like the OP's suggestion with the following additions/changes:

Team = 2-5 reapers
Squad = 2-3 teams
Platoon = 2-4 squads
Company = 2-4 platoons
Regiment = 2-4 companies
Brigade = 2-4 regiments
Division = 2-4 brigades
Corp = 2-4 divisions
Army = 2-4 corps

Jul 26, 2016
Brisbane, Australia
Playing almost any MMO game.
"Yo man wanna team/group up?" (2 people)
"Yeah it requires a party/squad" (3-5 people)
"That boss/event requires a raid/platoon" (10-20 people)
Social.
Clan/Guild/Army (3-100 people)

"If it ain't bro..." It's just a game.
FF nailed it for Sigh Figh

Wyntyr

Omni Ace
Ark Liege
Jul 26, 2016
Florida
Call me pedantic, but I prefer consistent nomenclature.
True if players are all one faction. If differing factions are allowed who knows. Although probably would still be one set due to everyone would get confused since they have to work together.

TGVirus

Firstclaimer
Ark Liege
Jul 28, 2016
Bucharest, Romania
Well, if you plan on going old school, as in Roman, here's some food for thought:

But for once, this was created for conquest not defense. ofc this does not work under a sci-fi universe.
Also ppl are going go mostly for what they are used to, so we can call it whatever we want, players will soon turn it into squad or party.

Wyntyr

Omni Ace
Ark Liege
Jul 26, 2016
Florida
Playing almost any MMO game.
"Yo man wanna team/group up?" (2 people)
"Yeah it requires a party/squad" (3-5 people)
"That boss/event requires a raid/platoon" (10-20 people)
Social.
Clan/Guild/Army (3-100 people)

"If it ain't bro..." It's just a game.
FF nailed it for Sigh Figh
Perhaps Team for small group, Squad/Platoon for larger group, and Unit for social group?

Vladplaya

Commander
Em-8er Contributor
Jul 27, 2016
USA
Few people who want to play together for the moment = Party

All other stuff, just put bunch of options in there and let the leader/founders pick what their social group is. Just make it roughly based on number of people, so at least there is some idea of what you might be dealing with.

Roughly 10 - 30 people:
Crew
Squad
Platoon
Band
Battalion
Clan
Gang

Over 30 people:
Society
Army
Guild
Corporation
Company
Enterprise
Association

Whatever people who created the entity want to call themselves.