Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
Hah. Like you're my boss.

Also, for future reference, there're edit and delete buttons if you want to do either of those.

Or you might just like typing out disregard. I'll admit, it is a fun word to say, if not type. Disregard. Disregard. You can almost type it out completely with just your left hand, if it wasn't for that pesky "i". Desregard. Hmmm. Easily typed with the left hand, but not quite as satisfying to say out loud. I've heard that stewardess is the longest single word you can type with just your left hand. This post is going no where, and if you've managed to read this far, congratulations. That's ten seconds of your life you're never getting back. Some day, you'll be laying on your death bed, cursing me for those twelve seconds you just lost. Sorry.
I like these dices wonder if they would be available as options good for night time

this would be interesting to use for rpg events just needs some light covers for those dots to know what number each side is and someone in-charge to stop the party dice :D

Also would there be dice option suitable for outdoor that wont get lost i wonder

i have wasted a good amount of time in this wonderful forums vive la em8er

EvilKitten

Ark Liege
Jul 26, 2016
This is such an important question! I’ll be addressing this in my first update to everyone that signs up to be on the mailing list! Be sure to visit the Crixa site and sign up!
Just to double check, I am already signed up some time ago on the crixa site. Is this a new signup/mailing list or am I auto included on the RPG mailinglist.
Yes, I am aware that multiple dice produces a bell curve vs a linear "curve" for a single die. My point was that you get much finer control with percentile dice (2d20 of different colors read with one color being the 10s column and the other being the ones, but you knew that) and a variety of other polyhedrals for linear ranges, as opposed to being limited to either 1 - 6 for a linear range or a bell curve.
Sorry if I am not following the math but wouldn't that effectively be the same as rolling a single D100 die?

Jul 28, 2016
Just to double check, I am already signed up some time ago on the crixa site. Is this a new signup/mailing list or am I auto included on the RPG mailinglist.

Sorry if I am not following the math but wouldn't that effectively be the same as rolling a single D100 die?
Yes, that's the point of percentile dice. Because D20s have more uses and take up less space than a D100. It's one less die to carry around.
I'm old school, so shoot me. :D

Jul 28, 2016
Character skill based is pretty much what I think you mean by point based. I'm thinking that characters get points for completing missions, or portions of missions, then those points are used to purchase or advance skills. A very expensive skill might allow the spending of a LOT of points for an extremely limited amount of stat points. Or might not. This is what I've seen in other games.

Last edited:

Nizuul

Deepscanner
Ember Dev
Jul 26, 2016
Greater Seattle Area
Will Crixa be class based, or character skill based?
Neither and both?? (Haha! I love Dev non-answers!)
So, Crixa is going with a combination of Backstory and Professions. Backstories tell where the character came from and establishes some initial training the character has. They also determine a PCs starting gear and how they came by their starship (yeah, you heard right, players start the game with a starship!).
Professions represent competence and grant abilities, additional training/gear and are the prerequisites for Specialties. Specialties hone-in character professions into formidable packages.
Now, the concept of professions and specialties has similarities to traditional class-based systems, but they don't work quite the same. Players don't "level up" in their class like a typical TTRPG, mostly because Crixa won't be using XP for progression o_O
Rather, Crixa will let the player's money do the talking and give them the freedom to take their character progression in a direction of their choice. They can train in as many professions and specialties as they can afford. Just keep in mind, starships are expensive to maintain/upgrade, and quality gear has stiff costs as well.
So I guess my answer is really, "Neither and both" afterall :cool:

Last edited:

Wyntyr

Omni Ace
Ark Liege
Jul 26, 2016
Florida
Will a player character's backstory include some negativity to the character but positivity to the starting cash? For example: the PC has a phobia/hunted by someone or something/physical handicap of some sort/etc. and receive additional starting funds based on them.

Will the player be able to build/choose the PC's backstory or is it a "roll of the dice" style?

Nizuul

Deepscanner
Ember Dev
Jul 26, 2016
Greater Seattle Area
Will a player character's backstory include some negativity to the character but positivity to the starting cash? For example: the PC has a phobia/hunted by someone or something/physical handicap of some sort/etc. and receive additional starting funds based on them.

Will the player be able to build/choose the PC's backstory or is it a "roll of the dice" style?
Yes and Yes (adding a bit of RNG to backstories it isn't a bad idea as long as player's don't lose agency of their characters, but as it stands, players will build their backstories).

Jul 28, 2016
Neither and both?? (Haha! I love Dev non-answers!)
So, Crixa is going with a combination of Backstory and Professions. Backstories tell where the character came from and establishes some initial training the character has. They also determine a PCs starting gear and how they came by their starship (yeah, you heard right, players start the game with a starship!).
Professions represent competence and grant abilities, additional training/gear and are the prerequisites for Specialties. Specialties hone-in character professions into formidable packages.
Now, the concept of professions and specialties has similarities to traditional class-based systems, but they don't work quite the same. Players don't "level up" in their class like a typical TTRPG, mostly because Crixa won't be using XP for progression o_O
Rather, Crixa will let the player's money do the talking and give them the freedom to take their character progression in a direction of their choice. They can train in as many professions and specialties as they can afford. Just keep in mind, starships are expensive to maintain/upgrade, and quality gear has stiff costs as well.
So I guess my answer is really, "Neither and both" afterall :cool:
Awesome! Thanks for the detailed reply!
I'm really looking forward to see how this is going to get fleshed out.

zabernat#1238

Omega Founder
Ark Liege
Oct 17, 2019
I noticed that by the way the preview is written, it does not sound like there will be Kaiju in the Tabletop game. Will most adventures be group vs environment or some sorts of players vs npcs in espionage and other of that type of stuff? I would love to have Kaiju in the mix personally but could see a route for not doing that too.

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
it does not sound like there will be Kaiju in the Tabletop game.
Kaiju(s) have to make an appearance somewhere would be odd without them.
Also they could have a Kaiju pack with various category 1-5 and styles?

Will most adventures be group vs environment or some sorts of players vs npcs in espionage and other of that type of stuff?
I'd hope there are ways for both and various ways to play the game adds to the replayability if i had to guess.

zabernat#1238

Omega Founder
Ark Liege
Oct 17, 2019
Kaiju(s) have to make an appearance somewhere would be odd without them.
Also they could have a Kaiju pack with various category 1-5 and styles?

I'd hope there are ways for both and various ways to play the game adds to the replayability if i had to guess.
When I say it doesn’t appear that we will see Kaiju, I’m referring to this paragraph:

“While they have discovered no sentient life, humans found many planets teeming with strange flora and fauna. The possibility of finding new creatures and life beyond the D-Gates is also a constant source of potential adventures for creative gamemasters and players.”

Generally the setting appear to be ambiguous thus far on the time period the TTRPG will cover as opposed to the game of Ember.

I plan to find a way to play the setting early and share my ideas and feedback on the systems as stated and how I make everything playable.