Crash Course: Mythopoetic self help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sn0wfIak3

Jul 27, 2016
Mythopoetic self-help is a form of self-help that uses myths, fairytales and stories as the basis for personal development and growth. A lot of it is based on things like "the hero's journey" and other Jungian stuff.

When i was younger, i had these crazy theories. They threw me in a hole and threw away the hole over it. I was lucky to find my way out and do the one thing they said that i never would. Live a normal life.

Years later, i learned about this form of self-help and realized that the only difference between it and my mild psychosis (Jung would call it inflation) is that i took those ideas too literal instead of figurative. This shock was so severe, it caused me to have, what is classified as a nervous breakdown.

For the first time in my life, all the puzzle pieces of my life clicked into place. I was blind but now i could see. Very confronting experience, especially after a lifetime of doubting your own sanity. Most people don't understand that the majority of stories are based on the hero's journey, Plato's cave and Jungian psychology. They are an intricate part of story telling.

It's like with songs, the only reason you like them is because you recognize yourself in them. As Carl Jung would say, we see our own flaws in others but also see our own potential in our heros.

They are figurative projections of our own mondaine experiences.

It is perfectly compatible with mindfulness and meditation as for example animes like Dragon ball Z are actually based on Taoism. A primitive but effective form of self help. It even delves into things like ego death.

In DBZ this would be figuratively represented as going "super saiyan", again figurative, not literal. Taking it literal is classified as a psychosis. So be mindful of that.

If you love anything like comic books, books, games, movies, etc. This is the form of self help for you. You can learn how to become your own hero.

Peace.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.