Could we have a simple "Phase Shift" for OWPvP?

NightStroke

Base Commander
Base Commander
Jul 26, 2016
I know the intention is that the game wouldn't have PvP, but for those of us who really enjoy high-mobility OWPvP, Ember would be an awesome place to include it. Adding pvp wouldn't take extra effort, and the main thing that would have to change is the way squads/platoons work.

Basically, I'm suggesting that, when players choose to, can switch into another server, where most things are identical to the pve server:
Map design wouldn't change
Every single player would have the exact same loadout(something versatile but epitomizes Ember gameplay)
All events, mobs, and activities that exist on the pve Open world map exist on the pvp server.

The only differences between the pve and the pvp servers would be the way squads and loadouts work:
Your "team" would be anyone in your squad, that you either entered the zone with or invited later.
Every single team competes with every other team present on the map, including the AI
The main change in objectives/activities that the pvp would add is the capacity to destroy THMPRs mid-thump or transport, allowing players to steal resources that others mined.
Rewards for activities goes up mildly when a team successfully defends or steals from an opponent
Everyone has the exact same mid-tier loadout for the sake of avoiding balance issues
All rewards(currency, resources, etc.) are meant for their PvE use. Gear crafted and bought are only used in the PvE world.

It isn't too drastic of an effort and it would introduce an awesome high-mobility shooter gameplay like Firefall's into the PvP market.

TL;DR: I'm asking for a different shard/zone where the game is the exact same, except the map allows team-based Free-for-all PvP with single loadouts, encouraging players to interrupt thumping processes to steal resources

TankHunter678

Jul 26, 2016
Honestly I would rather have arena based PvP. At least Arena based pvp has less of a chance of driving players away so that fans of pvp actually have people to fight. Further it would also make the change in loadout make sense. As well as provide more gametypes instead of just "screw with someone's day".

Especially since unless the THMPR's brought back MUCH bigger hauls from a OWPvP zone or had resources unique to the OWPvP no person thumping for resources would go there. PvE players HATE losing progress because of some player hungry jackass decides to grab his friends and go hunt for people to ruin.

Why else did Broken Peninsula become a empty ghost zone? (Which actually gave people reason to go there to thump, no one went to BP anymore.)

NightStroke

Base Commander
Base Commander
Jul 26, 2016
Honestly I would rather have arena based PvP. At least Arena based pvp has less of a chance of driving players away so that fans of pvp actually have people to fight. Further it would also make the change in loadout make sense. As well as provide more gametypes instead of just "screw with someone's day".

Especially since unless the THMPR's brought back MUCH bigger hauls from a OWPvP zone or had resources unique to the OWPvP no person thumping for resources would go there. PvE players HATE losing progress because of some player hungry jackass decides to grab his friends and go hunt for people to ruin.

Why else did Broken Peninsula become a empty ghost zone? (Which actually gave people reason to go there to thump, no one went to BP anymore.)
My concern with arena-pvp is that it would require a lot more unrelated development time that doesn't contribute to the pve game(designing an arena, primarily). I totally understand what you are saying, but I'm not sure about how else to add pvp in a way that doesn't require significant work from the devs.

Torgue_Joey

Kaiju Slayer
KAIJU 'SPLODER
Jul 27, 2016
Germany
NO MATTER HOW MUCH I LIKE OPEN WORLD PLAYERS F*CKS PLAYER STUFF. PvP STUFF IS MORE F*CKING WORK THAN YOU THINK.

IMMA SAY SH*T AND F*CKS TOWARDS YOUR IDEA.

HAVING EVERYTHING LIKE PVE JUST WITH A F*CKING PLUS PVP, SURE, PVE NEEDS TO BE DEVELOPED FIRST (MAPS, PLACES, RESOURCES BLABLABLA)

COPY THAT SH*T TO A NEW (PVP) SERVER TO F*CKING EXPERIMENT AND WORK ON THE PVP ASPECT.

FOR THE BALANCING (FRAME, SKILL, ABILITY, WEAPONS AND ALL THOSE KINDA SH*T), EASIEST WAY TO (TEMPORARY) SEPARATE THOSE SH*T WOULD BE A F*CKING "PVE OMNIFRAME GARAGE" AND A "PVP OMNIFRAME GARAGE"

TankHunter678

Jul 26, 2016
My concern with arena-pvp is that it would require a lot more unrelated development time that doesn't contribute to the pve game(designing an arena, primarily). I totally understand what you are saying, but I'm not sure about how else to add pvp in a way that doesn't require significant work from the devs.
Unless they do it the same way they did in Firefall:

Just use cut out sections of the open world map for the arenas.

Back in early Firefall CBT we had Attack/Defend CP OCT, then came Blackwater Harvester, later Sunken Harbor and Shanty Town TDM.

Many installations designed for the open world make naturally good pvp arenas. If a section of the map comes out that lends itself well to PvP then it can be copied over. People can even learn the map without getting shot by actually going to its physical place in the world and exploring it.

zdoofop

Firstclaimer
Jul 26, 2016
Noneofyourbeeswaxistan
the only think I will say about pvp is that I never understood why you need to have 2 sets of gear for it. Seriously. Why make 2 sets of gear where the only difference is a single stat and then decrease the other stats for "balance"? Why not just have one set of gear?

other than that, Mark and devs have made it clear that there will be no pvp in the game whatsoever.

Jul 26, 2016
the only think I will say about pvp is that I never understood why you need to have 2 sets of gear for it. Seriously. Why make 2 sets of gear where the only difference is a single stat and then decrease the other stats for "balance"? Why not just have one set of gear?
Then you haven't played any PvP in a PvE game.

because what is good for attacking mobs ain't good for attacking players that know how to dodge, aim properly at targets that dodge and reaction times of players are stronger than the reaction times of AI.

That what the devs of Red5 should have learned. And what every player of PvP in Firefall quickly realized. That ANY balancing done for PvE screwed over PvP and vice versa.

NO MATTER HOW MUCH I LIKE OPEN WORLD PLAYERS F*CKS PLAYER STUFF. PvP STUFF IS MORE F*CKING WORK THAN YOU THINK.

IMMA SAY SH*T AND F*CKS TOWARDS YOUR IDEA.
well said.

I keep rolling out my first love, Anarchy Online which has PvE & PvP. You have zones that are different gas levels; the 25% zones are PvP and are regarded in AO canon as conflict zones. These zones have PvE as well as players; people go around them than to be ganked by players, but sometimes you take a shortcut and go through effortlessly or gate chased by an agent or engineer class, it's a lot of lols to be honest. And you get the salty tell or the "nice evade" whisper.

PvP fitted well for AO, it's all about how the world of Em8er is being developed. Even for FF there was the arena, but I'd like to see conflict zones where factions play a role, oh, I wonder if Em8er will have factions as well. WAA!

Wraithbane

Firstclaimer
Jul 27, 2016
Lets keep the focus on PVE. Attempting to have both is an endless drain of staff time/talent, and this team has a very limited supply of both. Not to mention the eternal chase after the phantom of "balance", for a really limited audience.

There are any number of games for PvP, if thats what you are interested in. Yes, I'm a Carebear (fluffs fur... ^^)

you know that everything is going to be generated?

and you can just throw the players into another force... worked perfectly in Cube 2: Sauerbraten in Team Insta etc... just type /team *team name here - up to 4 letters* and you were not team evil nor team good xD

thats why we mostly played with 3-5 teams on venice, 2 were certainly solo teams with one player (like mine, always xD team mates are annoying)

Vladplaya

Commander
Em-8er Contributor
Jul 27, 2016
USA
There is already a topic (called PvP) with pretty indepth discussion about PvP, including better implementation ways that you can find here.

But while we are here, yes for OWPvP, and it doesn't even have to be separate pvp only shards/zones, it just needs to be properly implemented flagging/clan vs clan system, and slightly different balance (dual stats) for the gear. Again more details in the mentioned topic.