Corporations, hackers, and riggers

Aug 14, 2016
This thread is more on the lore side of thing but could also have an effect on game play too if done right. And it all state with the corporations who build and program all the tech and equipment we use. Like real life I would think all the corporations would put warnings and protections on all their products to stop people from using them in a way that they didn't want them to be used. So legally everything would have warranties and terms of service or terms of use. This would also mean things like the various A.i.s in the game might be programmed to resist any nonpreapproved changes the pilots might want to make to them or the mecha. This could mean that if a pilot wanted to add or change functions on their frame the A.I. itself would stop them because of they are going against the terms of use or will end up breaking the warranty. The A.i. might force the pilot to listen to all legal red tape and make sure that understand it all before adding or removing anything, that is if they are even allowed too.

And this where the hackers and riggers come in along with third party technology and a black market. Because to get somethings to work one might need to hack different systems and maybe the A.I. itself before a nonapproved program can even run or mechanics might have to bypass limiters, controllers, and blackboxes to get parts and equipment to work. This would also mean that not all the software and hardware are guaranteed to be compatible. This might come with the risk of errors popping up while you are using it in the field. This not even counting the idea that some corporations might intentionally program and/or manufacture things not to be compatible with anything else that was not also created by them.

Lore wise all these factors could make for some good story elements as some pilots and other people have to try and work with or around or bypass all the different protections that was built into their gear before they came to Em-8er. What problems might pop up as things break down and/or programmed obsolescence takes over? And just because people are fighting for survival on a new planet doesn't mean manufacturers and developers will stop doing things to protect their own products and reputation. They are still trying to run a business and the economy keeps moving, even if the new economy is based on the trading of favors, food, basic supplies.

Game play wise this could pop up in the game in odd ways. Like there being a black market for parts, illegal apps, having to double check your equipment before you leave the base to make sure all your stuff is compatible with each other and not doing anything you don't want it to so. Sure you might have broken the warranty on your plasma cannon by changing out the power source for different one that has double the output to make the gun more powerful.
At best all it'll do it make the durability on some things wear out faster and there is only like a 23% chance that something in the gun will overload blow up in you face. But you knew the risk when you did it, the A.I. made sure of it.