Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
This is what i saw in the email:

Tomorrow is the Last Stream of Copa! Help Us Capture the Moment!

This is it! The last time we will stream Copa! Help us capture the moment by joining us live in the test build on the US server during tomorrow's Twitch stream at 11am PDT. We will be coordinating some epic moments to record for posterity as we begin to move on to the Kickstarter art pass! All art will be reverting to what we call "whitebox" stage. Behind this curtain we will be preparing the final art for the playable mockup, with the grand reveal happening when we unveil the Kickstarter! Want to join us in the build before it changes? Upgrade or purchase a Newcomer Pack so you can get access to the Copa zone before it goes away!

THMPR encounter build coming!

The next demo will have the whitebox version of our THMPR encounter! Protect your THMPR in this first draft of the planned demo encounter! As part of this, new temporary whitebox terrain will replace Copa that is better suited to our gameplay. This is why we want to create some fond memories and say goodbye to the old demo level tomorrow on stream! We would love to see you there!

I think they mean this whitebox terrian replaces current copa at this stage and once the kickstarter is revealed then a better one could replace it from my understanding and it will be a surprise \o/.

Plus the stream needs a rename to something else like
Stryke Reapers assemble (Copa v1 last hope)

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1062588410

This is true reaper force, what if the group sneak attack all walk behind some tsihu and half use the scan spike and the other half use the plasma cannon wonder how that could look ah and another time some co-ordinated thumpr drops! perhaps on top of tsihu do they get squished?

Wyntyr

Omni Ace
Ark Liege
Jul 26, 2016
Florida
The current test environment is being replaced with basically the KS demo environment...except that...we won't see the actual artwork of said environment, to include the OFs and Tsi-Hu. Could end up being just a flat square close to the demo's size but where we can test the actual THMPR event so the Devs can clean up AI, wave timings, resource production & collection, etc. Won't really know for sure until it's live... but that's my guess.

Thorp

Omni Ace
Jul 27, 2016
California, CA
Grummz has been very open about the development process, and now he's just closing the lid.
I believe this is (1) a short term marketing strategy, (2) a short term development strategy.

Grummz wants to show new stuff but he also wants the Kickstarter to be a huge success. If he shows his whole hand before the Kickstarter the presentation will come across as old news and less hype.

The stage of development may not be something Grummz wants to share at the moment. The content may not be finished enough or he wants focused attention on other aspects such as the Thumper encounter.

I don't believe Grummz has 180'd. I see this as part of the transition to unveiling Kickstarter content

Faeryl

Omni Ace
Staff member
Community Manager
Kaiju Slayer
Jul 26, 2016
Planet Earth, USA, East Coast
discord.gg
I just saw the email. What does it mean "copa is going away"? Is that referring to the island in the demos? Is there any hint about what the new landscape will look like?

@Valaetoshiru I'm not sure if you'll see this in time but there IS a Chief Chat scheduled for TODAY at 11:00 AM PACIFIC TIME and Grummz will be discussing this ... if you have questions TODAY is a good day to ask!!

Grummz on Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/grummz_em8er
Discord: https://discord.gg/em-8er

I hope this helps! ~ F.A.I.

Ronyn

Commander
Staff member
Community Manager
Director of Marketing and Community
Jul 26, 2016
Honestly this worries me to an extent. Grummz has been very open about the development process, and now he's just closing the lid. It's a concerning 180.
This is not remotely a 180 in the philosophy.
For years now we have been open about how the development process works on multiple levels including the idea that we were holding back several things for the big kickstarter reveal.
Also factor in that with this change we will be revealing a lot of new things from layouts to animations to Ai behaviors. The main thing we are keeping quiet until the reveal is the 3D work on the art pass.

zdoofop

Firstclaimer
Jul 26, 2016
Noneofyourbeeswaxistan
This is not remotely a 180 in the philosophy.
For years now we have been open about how the development process works on multiple levels including the idea that we were holding back several things for the big kickstarter reveal.
Also factor in that with this change we will be revealing a lot of new things from layouts to animations to Ai behaviors. The main thing we are keeping quiet until the reveal is the 3D work on the art pass.
Fine, okay, sure, but how does he know that it will be well received without community feedback?

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
Fine, okay, sure, but how does he know that it will be well received without community feedback?
I am guessing we will have plenty of time to provide feedback after even in the alpha and beta stages too.
So I am not too worried about it much more curious to see and say what i think when it happens.

liandri

Omni Ace
Omni Ace
Jul 29, 2016
Zone of Bones, Australia
We'll just have to wait and see. They've already previewed some of the new post-'Art Pass' models on the Discord and in emails. It's a shame to see NewCopa go, but it was the map from the original TerrainDemo released way back in mid-2019. Sad to see it go, but with all the improvements they've probably made in that time with map generation, the proposed movement options for the frames, new art, it's probably for the best. Crixa has been really good at taking feedback on board and communicating changes, so even if it's really underwhelming, the 'white box' will at least be a platform where a lot of new things can be showcased.

My only two concerns are the Hub Demo, which has been pushed back for months, and if that will appear in the white box demo instead, and the effect that the demo will have on the AI (though I understand the Tsi-hu will be switching to melee for now, and will need different AI for that anyway).