CONCIDERATION FOR THE DEV TEAM- THMPR Encounter/Enemies

PartTimeJedi

Em8ER Adjudicator
Staff member
Archon
Ember Moderator
Nov 13, 2018
Holy Terra
One of my favorite things during my time playing FireFall Beta was THMPNG. Back in Beta there wasnt much going on so that took up a great deal of my time. I LOVED IT. I would Thump for hours solo, with friends or helping others out.
Ive been thinking what was it about the FF Thumper encounter that was so fullfilling?
Well for me it was the nature of the enemies I would fight during the encounter. Back in FF the Fauna was varied and unexpected. The types of creatures that would be attracted to the THMPR also depended on WHERE you dropped it. By the beach, a mix of land and sea creepy crawlers, on the plains a mix of land and airborne enemies.
Each creature had to be handled slightly different so every encounter was a puzzle to figure out for me on how to defend the THMPR.
I know in Em8ER our main enemy will be the Tsi-hu which so far as we know/seen comes in 4 forms, regular grunt, large grunt, grappling grunt and Beast mode, also their Kaiju which will come in different categories.
Right now it is the Tsi-hu we are fighting while we are THMPNG.

WHAT IF-
Lore-Wise the Tsi-hu have been releasing tons of creepy crawlers, fliers, bugs, weird little creatures through their portals to help in their war against us. These could be small creatures native to the Tsi-hu that have been engineered with bio/cyber weapons into their bodies. Each of these little "harassment " enemies would have a different way of attacking just like in FireFall. This would make every THMPR encounter a new and different experience than the last.
The Tsi-hu could have released them onto Em8ER to help pad out their numbers against us, to harass us while they concentrate on the bigger war picture.

As in FireFall the smaller "harassment" creatures would be everywhere in small numbers but be attracted to our THMPRS and come in greater numbers when one is dropped. This would not eliminate the Ts-hu from ever attacking our THMPRS along side them, but would give the THMPR encounter that wonderful feeling that FireFall had- never really knowing what type of creatures you would have to fight dependent on WHERE you drop your THMPR.

This is what I imagine to keep the combat fresh (instead of fighting Tsi-hu warriors all the time)

**When Thumping- attacked by mostly small Tsi-hu harassment creatures attracted to the THMPR. EXCEPT if a group of Tsi-hu warriors are nearby or you are Thumpin near the invasion line/or a base taken over by Tsi-hu, then warriors or even a smaller Kaiju would also attack your THMPR along with the usual harrassment creatures.

**When Defending/retaking a Base or invasion- attacked by majority of Tsi-hu warriors and Kaiju (maybe random harrassment creatures also)

For me, this scenario recreates the diversity and excitement of Thumper combat in prelaunch FF. It would also differentiate fighting during Thumping and base/invasion fighting so players don't get bored just fighting the Tsi-hu over and over.
Opinions??
I hope the Devs read this and take it into consideration as I feel it would enhance the game greatly from both a players stance and Lore stance.
Thank You
PTJ

Last edited:

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
Another thing that could be interesting is if the thumpr was to drill somewhere and some parts have unstable grounds could break and either:

A) You can prevent losing your thumpr by directing or sending it away before the ground collapses.

B) Lucky enough to find some extra resources beneath the broken ground.

C) Its a trap and the thumpr has somehow got trapped you have to get it unstuck using special cutters to break the thumpr free but in the mean time the threat is still ongoing and if you don't get thumpr free in time
the thumpr will be either destroyed by the opponents or the force of the kaiju would stamp on the thumpr forcing it down to the deepest depths of all that have vanished to never return :O

Nizuul

Deepscanner
Ember Dev
Jul 26, 2016
Greater Seattle Area
As in FireFall the smaller "harassment" creatures would be everywhere in small numbers but be attracted to our THMPRS and come in greater numbers when one is dropped. This would not eliminate the Ts-hu from ever attacking our THMPRS along side them, but would give the THMPR encounter that wonderful feeling that FireFall had- never really knowing what type of creatures you would have to fight dependent on WHERE you drop your THMPR.
I like what you're calling out here. I remember when I built the Crossfire encounter in Firefall and populated it based on where in the world it spawned. It made the encounter highly re-playable!

Wyntyr

Omni Ace
Ark Liege
Jul 26, 2016
Florida
I like what you're calling out here. I remember when I built the Crossfire encounter in Firefall and populated it based on where in the world it spawned. It made the encounter highly re-playable!
I recently watched the FF Live you were on while that event was active, if i recall correctly. Had loads of fun with it! I can't wait to see the magic you're bringing to Em.8ER!

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
Will it be similar to the cross fire encounters are there any other info you can share with us hmmmm

PIghead Elderberry

Kaiju Slayer
JUMBO KAIJU SLAYER
Jun 4, 2017
CA USA
I agree. Having variety and changes based upon where you thump and/or for what you thump and the chance the thumping event changes to something different are all good things. You can then either solo or as a group (like in FF) make your own choice of encounter by where and when you call the thumper and with how many others in your group (or solo). If you want a hard solo, call it in a place that is a hard encounter and gives the rewards for it. If you want an easy solo (or group) call it in a place that is easy. It is nice to have that general level of control, although we would not know exactly what would ever come at us and what might be found by the thumper exactly or if the ground might crack...

Morihaus

Deepscanner
Apr 30, 2018
Maryland
**When Thumping- attacked by mostly small Tsi-hu harassment creatures attracted to the THMPR. EXCEPT if a group of Tsi-hu warriors are nearby or you are Thumpin near the invasion line/or a base taken over by Tsi-hu, then warriors or even a smaller Kaiju would also attack your THMPR along with the usual harrassment creatures.

**When Defending/retaking a Base or invasion- attacked by majority of Tsi-hu warriors and Kaiju (maybe random harrassment creatures also)
What if those harassment creatures would also fight with the Tsi-Hu, adding to the chaos of the THMPR attacks? And maybe they'd recognize the threat and flee when they bring in a kaiju? I love the chaos of DOOM's monster infighting, so bringing a similar inter-enemy mechanic to a larger scale Tsi-Hu fight would be extremely satisfying to watch.

Last edited:

Wyntyr

Omni Ace
Ark Liege
Jul 26, 2016
Florida
Seeing as Em.8ER is not an MMORPG...i would love to have some chit chattering NPC's in bases, Tsi-Hu banter that you understand if you're OP-AI can translate, encounters ,etc. to breath life into the game. Basically something there to enjoy along with some exploration, crafting, and killing.

Mahdi

Firstclaimer
Jul 26, 2016
South Carolina, US
Seeing as Em.8ER is not an MMORPG...i would love to have some chit chattering NPC's in bases, Tsi-Hu banter that you understand if you're OP-AI can translate, encounters ,etc. to breath life into the game. Basically something there to enjoy along with some exploration, crafting, and killing.
The finances for this would be high, hoping for that kind of success. I eat this stuff up though. Y'all who have been around a long time have seen my posts that use quotes from Star Craft units. I can't remember if those kinds of sweet additives to a game goes further than War Craft 2.

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
I like to see some npc such as one that has a big nose not from lieing but closing the door too early and getting the nose caught.

This npc would sound strange because keeps getting the nose caught on gates and doors. This character would have a bruised nose sometimes with a plaster and would say got in fights against the toughest lot but really is a clumsy npc and would sound as if the nose was blocked.

Then there is another npc who collects old stuff blabbering out useless facts such as when the first ever gatestrider toilet was invented using gateway technology. Since the toilet was a breach in security, could let in knee biters appearing out of the toilet if not switched off correctly so the project was binned.

There is another npc that carries a pet in a backpack and the pet pops head out and acts like the npc's mother telling the npc to finish all the soup and other things mothers say mind your language etc.
The npc is wearing a bib that says badass and looks like does lots of gym work, meaning lots of feeding time too.

etc etc