Concerned about P2W

• Thread starter punkbuzter#6186
  • Start date
P

punkbuzter#6186

You might want to examine my post a little more closely. I said nothing about the subject in question. I made a general reminder about the REALITY that far too many people forget. That being that games (and just about anything else) cost time/talent and hence
money. If Grummz could make a better living with less effort doing
something else that he likes/loves, he'd be a fool to waste his time and talent on the game. Especially given the hysterics that some people engage in. When ever the subject of money in games comes
up. Then we'd all be out of luck. Fortunately for us, he continues to
invest his time/talent and money in this project.

Make no mistake, many (if not most) game companies these days
are WAY overboard in their quest for money. That's why I mentioned
Activision and EA. But even those pale in comparison to the daily
routine of the typical Asian games. The clash between the East and the West on this subject has left a lot of western players shell shocked, and trigger happy.

Given past experience, I'm willing to give Grummz the benefit of the doubt. As I said, I'd be perfectly fine with a buy to play model, with a
monthly subscription. Cosmetics would be another possibility to
help support the game.

At the end of the day, its all about enjoying the game. If I enjoy a game, I insist on supporting it. That's one of the reasons I hate the
so called Free to Play model. Its inherently dishonest, and far too
easy to abuse. Everyone wants a slice of that Sweet Cash Shop
Pie... Until you end up with entire generations of players who are
both entitled and bitter. Fortunately, I can't see Grummz going down
that path. Lets wait to see what he has in mind. Before we break out
the pitchforks and torches and storm his castle... :)
I don't care who runs the company, I don't care who makes the game. What I care about is how the game is made, how it makes its sales, and how badly the player/customer gets screwed over in the end. It could be Joe Biden, it could be my brother, it could be my neighbor... I still don't care who makes the game as long as it's a good game, making money from good sales with ethical and moral standards towards its players/customers.
From what it looks like, Grummz has some higher standards than most, but that doesn't make him perfect, and from what I gathered out of his description of how he and the community suggested the claims would be "paid content", I'm putting my foot down and says NO!

And just because Free 2 Play games are easily abused doesn't mean Buy 2 Play isn't... Grummz and the community were just about to do just that by suggesting part of the game I've already paid for in full won't be available unless I pay more.
Thus why I prefer Free 2 Play because I have on obligation to play in order to make my money worth.
Path of Exile is a perfect example of lesser abusive marketing, and I think ever other game publisher has something to learn from GGG. I have no strings attached to my spendings in that game, haven't played for over a year but I know I will return at some point, and whenever I do I'll know everything I've invested my money in is still there, the game doesn't lock me out from content for being a free player either... The entire game is at my disposal regardless of my economical situation.

We also have to remind everyone that not all can actually afford the fee of entry, namely Buy 2 Play, which already at that point is in many cases an obstacle, preventing people and fans from being able to play... Which is bad. I don't care if the other players pay or don't pay to play the game, I just know more players = more fun.

I'm sure there are many benefits for putting the Buy2Play tag on games, but I feel there's more positive points to lay out on the table for Free2Play... The only negative point people have when it comes to Free2Play is that most games with this tag has abusive marketing, which is true but still the only point most ppl make. I can however bring up multiple negative points about Buy2Play, including abusive marketing.

Ey, my torches and pitchforks is out 24/7 hunting for this kind of stuff... If I smell bad marketing I'm entering attack formation right away, I leave no room for such things to nest in.

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
I don't care who runs the company, I don't care who makes the game.
I care because if it was a Squirrel then things would be more nuts :O

that not all can actually afford the fee of entry, namely Buy 2 Play, which already at that point is in many cases an obstacle, preventing people and fans from being able to play
I have noticed some people are willing to spend money on alcohol and cigarettes and other unwanted things at times. They say that they cannot afford it which i understand but if that was swapped for saving something perhaps there is money for the other thing to do?

Guess it isn't that simple because this is also how much someone earns and paying bills so on and so on. As an example i decided to sell my old bikes because i hardly used this and to get some money so now only have my main bike.

Currently with my small part time job, i am keeping optimistic to get another job soon especially with cost of living going up. That way i can manage to continue paying for the gym membership / hall to play sports especially in the winter etc.

he only negative point people have when it comes to Free2Play is that most games with this tag has abusive marketing
There may be more opportunities for bots/hackers and trolls to join?

Apr 14, 2018
Just thinking off the top of my head, there are going to be major cities and town and such right? couldnt they have building in there that are basically condominiums and hotels in which you can rent a room? it doesnt have to be that it just have to be ssomething where, for example, the building has physical space for 10 rooms but there are 16 people in their own rooms concurrently because each rrom is its own entity detached from the server instance.

the dropships gave me an idea. the ability to rent/buy(in game or real world currency) a flying ship/base that is at like sub orbital altitude. to enter/exit you would have to drop into a tow square or a FOB that has some sort of beacon up.

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
Imagine if you could have a small home/ apartment section that can be picked up by your dropship to move it to another area or on top of your truck.

I suppose it might be restricted how many times that can be done and having that option can be good especially when people want a change or be closer to another community.

Some folks might turn their Space truck into a mobile home?

Wraithbane

Firstclaimer
Jul 27, 2016
There are so many wild and fantastic ideas that could be added. But lets wait for the base game before we go hog wild. :) Imagine a cross between Firefall and Wild Star. In Unreal Engine 5. After firefall closed down I migrated to warframe and destiny 2. Both have great combat systems, but over the years have drifted far away from what originally attracted me to them. I've left both games at this point, even though I have thousands of hours invested in them. I seriously doubt I will ever return. Project LLL and the first Descendant look interesting, but we will have to see how they play. In any event, I'd MUCH rather Em-8er be buy to play with a subscription, just so that it is worth Grummz and his Dev's time to continue to update and expand. Yoshi P spoke of this quite awhile ago. It was true then, and its true now. https://venturebeat.com/games/final...-in-the-golden-age-of-free-to-play-exclusive/

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
Just out of curiosity looked at the steam most played currently /daily /top sellers

- Top sellers for the top 10 (games only): 9 out of 10 are paid 1 is Free ( could be due to sales)
- Currently /daily for the top 10 most played: 6 out of the 10 are f2p and 4 is paid.

I am sure these stats do fluctuate and this could depend on new updates/content, events, and importantly people who can play.

There's not many games i am excited about but one i keep going back to is l4d2 because of the community maps. Cyberpunk 2077 is one i have recently got into, looks good so far although would of preferred if it was co-op :D

If we are to talk about the longevity of a game you would need monies and worth to have good sales. For those who can afford a take away each day costs quite abit than to cook and store for a few days saving you a decent amount.

Anyways my fave game l4d2 could of been f2p and it was at a point for a short time, then it went to paid again but that must of been a xmas special.

Since the game is rather old its as expensive as a coffee in a shop on sale.

migrated to warframe and destiny 2. Both have great combat systems, but over the years have drifted far away from what originally attracted me to them. I've left both games at this point
I have lost some interest in warframe too and only pop by to see the daily or a new content so far not much has perked my interest. Unless a friend wants to play to enjoy and progress something or to invest in the base etc

Lets say in the future that Em8er Wars is the pvp standalone version that can be played with or without Em8er core game. That way the Em8er Wars is f2p with support for map builders, skins and such.
This can only be with the good success of Em8er core game that way there is something for the competitive side with regards to pvp.

With Em8er core game focused on the pve gives you a pay once and get the game and for those who want to subscribe for new skins to bases then that would support the game to continue.
certain Dlc's could eventually be free while others are paid to bring in some monies and players.

I am blabbering out thoughts it is difficult to predict the future but those in the industry have an idea of what to do just got to make sure it doesn't take too too long or else some other developer may already take the idea into their own game!!!

Think i have drifted off topic somewhat o.o