Cellphone App With Out-of-Game Controls

Thorp

Omni Ace
Jul 27, 2016
California, CA
Throwing this thought out there since it keeps passing through my mind. I'm not hands-down for the idea but I find it interesting.

Firefall vets may remember the old possibility, before the takeover, that Firefall was hinting/planning/rumoring at a cell phone app that would allow offline guild leaders to answer requests for ammo, health, ect. from their phones.

To me, on the surface it sounds really neat however it has the obvious drawback of further gluing people to their phones. Nevertheless my mind believes it's an interesting topic and feature. Though the Firefall world before the shutdown did not scale to a size where such an app would be entirely helpful, the possibility of Em8er player rented servers comes with unique benefits to cell phone app integration.

A cell phone app could provide a quick status report for owners and guardians of a server. When their server is under assault the owners of a server could "hire" player squads to defend the server. Additionally these hired squads, rogue teams, and maybe respected solo players could request ammo and other assistance directly to the cell phone app (if owner is not currently in-game of course).

With or Without player rented servers, do you speculate that a cell phone app that acts as a link to the world of Em8er would be of significant benefit?

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
the possibility of Em8er player rented servers comes with unique benefits to cell phone app integration

A cell phone app could provide a quick status report for owners and guardians of a server. When their server is under assault the owners of a server could "hire" player squads to defend the server. Additionally these hired squads, rogue teams, and maybe respected solo players could request ammo and other assistance directly to the cell phone app (if owner is not currently in-game of course).
Perhaps there could be a way to see this on the em8er forum/website for server owners would it cost less than making an app hmm?

so when they log in they can see what is going on in their server e,g, the number of attacks made,
who has helped defend and so on and as you mentioned recruit them etc

I think its an interesting idea, my fear is that some people walk into lamp posts, almost smacked a few on my bike and even going into ditches the power of the mesmerizing cell phone :O

Now i am not saying everyone is glued to their phones like these poor addicted cell phone souls.
It does have its benefits when you are say not at home or far away from a computer.

Personally though i am more of a switch on focus on something then turn off to concentrate on the world around me.

Plus in our work place we are not allowed to bring cell phones for security/safety including data protection reasons. Fine by me i dont need a phone i have a computer at home ...... some say i am a secret agent i like to pretend i am haha :D

Terib.Shadow

Omni Ace
Omni Ace
Jul 26, 2016
Baal Secundus
I've always thought it could be nice being able to access the game's crafting system via my phone, so i can make that piece of equipment while i'm out for some tabletop roleplay, or other meetups with friends.
Turn on phone, turn on app, launch crafting, turn off app, turn off phone. Enough to occupy you for a minute or two, and you can go straight to fighting once you're back on your PC.

Meower

Omni Ace
Omni Ace
Jul 27, 2016
Honestly I'm 100% behind something like this. I've always wanted a game that I can somehow contribute to whilst I'm not at a PC. Even if it's as something as small as being able to post map pings / coordinates / or even supply drops etc -- I'd love to be able to help my squad out even just a little!

zdoofop

Firstclaimer
Jul 26, 2016
Noneofyourbeeswaxistan
(i'm not saying they SHOULD do this, but) if they went with Google's stadia you could just play on a mobile phone anyway.

Others have suggested something like this, and Warframe actually does have something