Can Mark make up his mind?

Ni_Fox

Apr 25, 2019
Firefall was one of my favorite games before it was shut down, so when I found Em8er I was very hyped. I've been keeping an eye on it since for the past few years waiting to back it until I can trust it more and thank god I did. I didn't know this was being directed by Mark again until I recently I was watching an update video on Emb8r and the YouTube mentioned his name. I thought this was being directed by a new and competent person and I was very excited to see what someone else's direct vision on what this game should be will become. I was excited for the mmo rpg mining game this was supposed to be with the firefall sci fi vibe, but now a 4 to 5 player Kaiju hunter? who in tf asked for that? Mark did the same exact thing to firefall and look what happened, its dead. I guess this is going to be a successor to firefall in a literal sense lol.

iDemonSlayer

Feli Gatestrider
Mar 16, 2017
Firefall was one of my favorite games before it was shut down, so when I found Em8er I was very hyped. I've been keeping an eye on it since for the past few years waiting to back it until I can trust it more and thank god I did. I didn't know this was being directed by Mark again until I recently I was watching an update video on Emb8r and the YouTube mentioned his name. I thought this was being directed by a new and competent person and I was very excited to see what someone else's direct vision on what this game should be will become. I was excited for the mmo rpg mining game this was supposed to be with the firefall sci fi vibe, but now a 4 to 5 player Kaiju hunter? who in tf asked for that? Mark did the same exact thing to firefall and look what happened, its dead. I guess this is going to be a successor to firefall in a literal sense lol.
Ya ever one know why too ------> Firefall Bus - YouTube <-------- this Killed the game so fast

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
Hey Ni_Fox & IDemonSlayer

I don't think the thumper element of Em8er is going away so nothing to worry about that as far as i can tell.
For the Kaiju hunting this adds another way to do things in the Em8er world I'd imagine.

If you like mining and space there is Deep Rock Galactic its a fun game to pass the time too!
https://store.steampowered.com/app/548430/Deep_Rock_Galactic/

Ya ever one know why too ------> Firefall Bus - YouTube <-------- this Killed the game so fast
It's a shame this didn't go as well as it could because it was a nice looking bus though.
Sometimes taking risks can pay off, sadly this one didn't but if it was a success that would of made a great way to market the game.

Although the times have changed and it's easier to promote online and word of mouth which does save the money for sure.

Thorp

Omni Ace
Jul 27, 2016
California, CA
The big drill mek is going to happen. And a few months back it was announced there will also be stationary drills similar to Firefall's.
https://medium.com/em-8er/personal-t-h-m-p-r-s-progression-b5994a042424

Em8er has not changed its ultimate vision. Thumping is still there and always will be. The 4v1 Kaiju hunting was going to be in the game eventually. The reason the demo production switched to the Kaiju hunting was for marketing and easement of selling the product.

Try to sell Firefall vets "Thumping" and they get excited. Conversely, try to sell Average Consumers "Thumping" and they don't know what it is or why it's fun. But try to sell Monster Hunting in meks with a Firefall feel and you get both audiences, although the Firefall vets can begrudgingly disagree with the shift in development direction.

All in all, what you've seen and heard altogether is still there and planned. The issue was trying to sell a Kickstarter on "Thumping" likely wasn't going to impress a broader audience which Em8er probably can't afford to miss.

The backer packs will be available until the Kickstarter begins. Em8er will announce when that will happen. It sounds like holding out is in your best interest and I don't blame you. I've been on the weary side and will admit that I'm ready to be hyped again but I'm kinda hibernating and hoping. I don't see any other game out there doing this.

ungwelianti#5959

Omega Founder
Ark Liege
Mar 23, 2020
Hot chicks, very Un-woke/based crew = Non-woke, sweet graphics similar to one of my favourite mmogames I've played. The only thing that could make that go bad in these days (with all the unplayable woke garbage coming out) Is that it never gets out.

Trying my very best to do my part there though, giving them as much $$$ I possibly can :)

Djepetto

Deepscanner
Oct 1, 2016
The big drill mek is going to happen. And a few months back it was announced there will also be stationary drills similar to Firefall's.
https://medium.com/em-8er/personal-t-h-m-p-r-s-progression-b5994a042424

Em8er has not changed its ultimate vision. Thumping is still there and always will be. The 4v1 Kaiju hunting was going to be in the game eventually. The reason the demo production switched to the Kaiju hunting was for marketing and easement of selling the product.

Try to sell Firefall vets "Thumping" and they get excited. Conversely, try to sell Average Consumers "Thumping" and they don't know what it is or why it's fun. But try to sell Monster Hunting in meks with a Firefall feel and you get both audiences, although the Firefall vets can begrudgingly disagree with the shift in development direction.

All in all, what you've seen and heard altogether is still there and planned. The issue was trying to sell a Kickstarter on "Thumping" likely wasn't going to impress a broader audience which Em8er probably can't afford to miss.

The backer packs will be available until the Kickstarter begins. Em8er will announce when that will happen. It sounds like holding out is in your best interest and I don't blame you. I've been on the weary side and will admit that I'm ready to be hyped again but I'm kinda hibernating and hoping. I don't see any other game out there doing this.
It's been so long now that I forget the specifics... in 2015 Ember was promised to have a kick-start in 2017 if the crowd fund reach it's goal. Embers crowd fund reached it's goal over 200%. The crowd fund was specifically targeted at "Firefall Vets." We were promised a firefall successor based around thumping, and planetary war....and you know what the cream of the crop was going to be? Battling legendary Kiju all while crafting skills, gear and base building. You know what has been accomplished to the game since then? Well you can take a look for yourself if you search the forum. But let me give you my opinion. Not enough to justify a "switch to Kiju hunting for marketing and easement of selling the product."

Nobody asked for a monster hunter game. No one supported this game because we wanted a 4v1 Kiju hunting game. Name one monster hunter game that is successful? That's right. Monster Hunter World. All others are not commercially successful. Monster Hunter World owns 4v1 monster hunting for years and still running strong with average 20k players on steam alone last year. Nobody and I mean Nobody is asking for another 4v1 monster hunting game.

Ember wasn't just about thumping. It was about fighting back a planetary invasion and and battling massive kiju.

Hmmm lets weigh the options....Planetary war battling base destroying Kiju or 4v1 Kiju copy and paste monster hunting...

Last edited:

Dam13n

Mar 4, 2019
Hot chicks, very Un-woke/based crew = Non-woke, sweet graphics similar to one of my favourite mmogames I've played. The only thing that could make that go bad in these days (with all the unplayable woke garbage coming out) Is that it never gets out.

Trying my very best to do my part there though, giving them as much $$$ I possibly can :)
Ah yes, the over saturation of woke MMOS...

Yes, a real problem in this world. Too many woke MMOs, especially those Korean ones.

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
Ember wasn't just about thumping. It was about fighting back a planetary invasion and and battling massive kiju.

Hmmm lets weigh the options....Planetary war battling base destroying Kiju or 4v1 Kiju copy and paste monster hunting...
With the right planning they could bring the hunting, invasions and thumping in a nice package I'd hope.

When you mentioned 4 vs 1

Left 4 dead 2 (2009)
warframe (2013)

Seems to be doing well since their release not exactly monster hunting but there are bosses.

Thorp

Omni Ace
Jul 27, 2016
California, CA
We were promised a firefall successor based around thumping, and planetary war [...] Battling legendary Kiju all while crafting skills, gear and base building.
I do agree that at the get-go, everyone was paying money into this. But I will say that part of developing modernized systems is developing the smaller pieces that eventually combine into what we were promised. Kaiju hunting was always a part of the concept: Open world base building and thumping with potential invasions and kaiju encounters. Therefore, a 4v1 Monster Hunting module, in hindsight, was not unexpected.

The gear crafting, gathering and base building will come eventually. First, all the character designs, modularity, save data, and data tables need to be established. How monsters drop materials, how durability works, how gear sockets work, how damage is applied...all that has to be implemented before time can truly be spent on building a crafting table. The 4v1 Kaiju module is one step into how players will experience gathering, fighting, and inevitably crafting their gear.

Each release has been isolating concepts: we had a jetpack module, we had a limited thumping module, we got a procedurally generated landscape that then converted into voxel, we got a still limited but expanded thumping module with tsi-hu. Next is adding the kaiju encounters in an isolated environment. I would expect the followup would be to add these Kaiju into the Thumper encounters.

It is true we were expecting a thumper playable mockup for the Kickstarter demo. Showing meks with guns, melee, and spells fighting a Kaiju is going to more easily catch attention. For us who have experienced Thumping, we will be able to imagine the Kaiju being added into the Thumper encounter.

The disconnect is that the Kickstarter will happen sooner than those two modules can be combined into a single module.

I am not saying that I am pleased with the pace of development but I do understand that getting it right can take unusual amounts of time. As to why it has taken Years to do all this, I am unsure, but maybe that's just how it goes for a game of this scale. This game is bigger than Firefall and Monster Hunter especially on a network scale.

People are frustrated that the Thumper demo is not going to be the Kickstarter demo and development is slow. I am frustrated that after all these years we have a novel that I'll honestly never read, a tabletop game that I'll likely never play, and the current build that I can't show to my friends. But I can see the steps Em8er has taken and where it's headed. We'll get the Thumper encounter we were promised but not in the timeframe that was initially promised. I sincerely hope that the Kickstarter does Kickstart Em8er into overdrive no matter how much money it raises.

Last edited:

Sy

Nov 16, 2018
sya.li
Mark did the same exact thing to firefall and look what happened, its dead. I guess this is going to be a successor to firefall in a literal sense lol.
Mark was with the Firefall beta only, and the beta was good. So you better hope he does the exact same thing.

It's the same with the bus, he was against that. It's a good thing they got their money back / didn't pay for it.

Methanoid

Deepstriker
Feb 24, 2019
i get the impression we arent getting anything like firefall now and instead will end up with something more like monster hunter/dauntless...... which isnt what i gave money to fund, this will probably be the last "hype" game where i pre-fund, think ill just sit on the wait-and-see wagon now, this is just another money fishing expedition like star citizen with little no nothing to show for it after all this time.

Jan 26, 2017
So my biases are that I tend to solo a lot. I like the multi-player / coop because I can team up occasionally. I also like helping out other players that are free world roaming and occasionally striking up comradery with a random player. But I am at heart a solo player.

I may not have been paying attention here. But... If this game's primary mechanic becomes a 1 v 4-5 player vs kaiju battle I will be very upset with the money I have invested in this game and likely be out. I don't want another Dauntless. This was billed as the true spiritual successor for Fire Fall I have taken them at their word for that. Fire Fall was a open world battle against repelling the Chosen.

At this point I am just assuming we have not seen the how the whole pie is going to be baked. I'm fine with a shape shifter variant taking the place of the Chosen, etc. in the open world. I'm pretty sure depending on my gear I can pick my fights and solo that. Sounds like fun. And... Fire Fall did have both giant open world massive player events / battles with giant monsters as well as big boss battle missions only a few players were queued up in. I tended not to queue up in to those because I prefer the autonomy of the solo experience and it wasn't fun for me. But others liked it just fine.

So if Em8er allows us to battle foot solders / lieutenants... even the shape shifting kind... in the open world, in a 'pushing back the darkness' scenario, and then have several flavors of monster battles (open world / teamed), I'm ok with this so far.

If they start narrowing the scope of their promised game aspects... I am not ok with that. I realize they may be under staffed... Their resources may not be exactly what they hoped for... but, they have also had a lot of time, gotten more money than they asked for every time they asked. If those specific aspects of the game are not done yet I can understand that. You have to focus on core game aspects and game play first.

That said, if the building of table top game version, etc. (and I would like to see that) is taking away time and resources better spent, they have to pick one and focus on that first until it is done. I think everyone would agree the priority is not the table top game.

But at a minimum they have had *a lot* of time to think about it... To figure out the different pieces and how they fit together. I expect they have a plan. They better have a plan. Saying they are the spiritual successor to Fire Fall has a very specific meaning. That is what was promised. It is what I have been waiting for / supporting. That is what I expect them to live up to.

So at this point I am just assuming we are seeing some of the ingredients right now. Not how they all go together yet, and certainly not the whole baked pie. The idea that this game may be turning in to something else other than what was promised bothers me. If that happens I can tell you they are never getting another buck out of me, now or in the future... Any of these Devs. That is my promise. I am not making the same mistake a third time.

But I am happy to given them the benefit of the doubt.. for now. I have been waiting for this for long time at this point. They have some credit with me. The Fire Fall Bata was awesome bugs and all. I hope they kick it in to gear and step on the gas here.

I am in fact rooting for you guys. Rock this .

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
Perhaps that wasn't the right example after closely looking at the video even though it had a truck.

Although you can't deny this truck!!!
1672955272872.jpeg

NF85

Omega Founder
Jul 28, 2016
i get the impression we arent getting anything like firefall now and instead will end up with something more like monster hunter/dauntless...... which isnt what i gave money to fund, this will probably be the last "hype" game where i pre-fund, think ill just sit on the wait-and-see wagon now, this is just another money fishing expedition like star citizen with little no nothing to show for it after all this time.
When was the last time a released game was exactly the same as it was in alpha??

It is simply that too mutch time has gone by. In the world of digital gaming, 4/5 years is an eternity. There is zero intrest in a game that is just like firefall, monsterhunters is the new coop pve thing, just in the same way moba was the only thing beeing made made 10 years ago.

If they dont releease a full client whitin 2 years they might have to change the game again.