Can Hard Driver Mode Be a Paid Cosmetic Option?

What do you think about Hard Driver Mode and the Possibility of It Being Paid Cosmetic

• I'd pay $10 for Hard Driver Mode

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'd pay $5 for Hard Driver Mode

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • I'd pay $1 for it

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • I feel it has to be in the game for free

Votes: 9 47.4%
  • It's nice to have the option, but I don't care if it's not there

Votes: 5 26.3%
  • I dislike Hard Driver Mode

Votes: 1 5.3%

• Total voters

SSH83

Firstclaimer
Jul 29, 2016
I know DE often talks about complexity of geometry clipping in Warframe DevStream due to the variety of models that can clash with each other. So I began wondering what's the cost of maintaining 2 modes of omniframe and how does it affect adding omniframe cosmetic or new animations for ability/weapons. ie. When adding a new casting animation, dev would not only need to check for problem for the X weapon/frame, but X for default then X for hard driver, effectively 2 times the error rate.

The default Omniframe shows the pilot, hence puts cosmetics of the pilot to front stage. The hard driver mode is working against the screen time of player avatar (hence value of avatar customization). While the financial model of this game is not set in stone, if Ember wants to follow Warframe/LoL/DotA in terms of using cosmetic as income source, the hard driver mode needs to make up for not only the increased dev cost but also the loss of revenue. It can do that by being a paid cosmetic. So I'm wondering... how much do people care when money is involved. :eek:

EvilKitten

Ark Liege
Jul 26, 2016
I don't think it is really going to matter, probably most of the time you are going to actually get a good look at the player character is when they step out of their mech anyways. Personally I am still up in the air on which version I will end up playing with but that won't stop me from kitting out my character with some bling :)

NoahDVS

Deepscanner
Jul 27, 2016
A monetization model that seems to work very well for online games from what I've seen so far is an affordable price up front combined with microtransactions. It lowers the price barrier for many players, allows a developer to start making up the cost of developing the game when it's released and also makes money off existing players so that releasing updates for the game is more profitable. It can obviously be done wrong, but since a developer is still making money whenever there is a new player, they shouldn't need to be as aggressive with microtransactions as companies who are making F2P games.

What is Hard Driver mode though? It sounds like a mode for horny pilots.

Kouyioue

Aug 1, 2016
If the game supported xsolla or something I'd finally be able to pay in bitcoin. I buy my groceries with them ^_^
Otherwise I have to get silly with gift cards(and buying other gift cards with gift cards to get gift cards) and stuff just to buy from people who only accept credit

Ronyn

Commander
Staff member
Community Manager
Director of Marketing and Community
Jul 26, 2016
There is no sign that the hard driver mode is being considered for monetization at this time.

Bl4ckhunter

Jul 26, 2016
What is Hard Driver mode though? It sounds like a mode for horny pilots.
it's full iron man mode for omniframes, don't know why it's called hard driver.
Aside from the fact that if you get hard while wearing it others can't see

On topic i wouldn't mind it being a paid cosmetic, specially given that it was not in the origial version but then again, i don't plan on using it.

Legend57

Omega Founder
Em-8er Contributor
Jul 27, 2016
Estonia
I was really looking forward to being able to switch from normal to hard driver during combat - I think the Hard driver mode is a cool idea and I'd be willing to pay for it, though I've always preferred cosmetics that were accessible with the in-game currency.

The problem of double workload can probably be lessened if the settled on a single hitbox setup and edit the appearance/shape within that box - should solve at least some of the recurring clipping issues and decrease the need for additional changes/animations (I don't even know if this makes sense)

Bl4ckhunter

Jul 26, 2016
I was really looking forward to being able to switch from normal to hard driver during combat - I think the Hard driver mode is a cool idea and I'd be willing to pay for it, though I've always preferred cosmetics that were accessible with the in-game currency.
Perhaps they should consider allowing the trade of premium currency like it's possible to do in firefall and in warframe? it'd let anyone buy cosmetics, i know some people don't like the idea but there are definite advantages for the game and it's pretty much the only thing that curbs gold seller effectively.

TankHunter678

Jul 26, 2016
HDM itself (as in the function) should not be a paid cosmetic option.

Different variants of it that look differently for custom armor setup looks? I can see some paid options for those.

Oh and, for a chunk of the playerbase we argued for the cockpit being sealed for a variety of reasons, especially given how mecha the base design is. For us the HDM is a great addition that solves a number of our issues with the design and makes the omniframe not a no sell.