Sy

Nov 16, 2018
sya.li

I am prompted to discuss this topic because reasons.

What about having a feature in-game to pause it, such that microtransactions become unavailable. Then, if the user requests to disable the feature, the lock expires after five weeks.

Aside from removing any advertising of the feature, and any purchasability of it, it disables skins visible in the game. That disabling feature was mentioned some time ago as a way for people to maintain immersion (no neko ears?!), but perhaps it can also be disabled to help this other kind of player.

When in this mode, grant them a warbanner. Perhaps like AA, grant a token which is displayed on their banner which increments every 5 weeks. This will tell others of their determination.

I say five weeks because four weeks has an awkward "next paycheck" overlap.

Thoughts?

(Reasons being this is already a major problem for Kickstarter tiers.)

Aug 14, 2016
I just want to point out something else about this topic although not an answer to the problem. But this is something I'm slowly noticing more and more over the years in some types of games I play. And that is having advertisements in games. And I don't just mean mobile games, but PC and console games too. About 20 years back when I first seen in an MMO I thought it was funny. Every now and again you would see a Ford truck advertisements playing on some of the holoscreens in towns. It didn't seem out of place because it was a scifi game taking place on an alien planet and you could just write it off as things sense humans traveled faster than light to get to said planet and build up a life there. Old tv shows and advertisements are from the past are just now getting there. And at the time my mindset was "Well the only reason tv shows are free is because of the advertisements they have to show on the channels. Than maybe part of the reason this game is free is because every few months they add in these advertisements to the game. After all when they do updates adding new things to the world I get them for free." That is up until the point that started to add in paid subscription expansions to the game, cutting off pay players from free players, and there was still advertisements on the holoscreens in town. That is when I knew something was not right. Cut to now with all the mobile games, MMOs, and some console games with advertisements inside of them. Even more so if you already paid for a game than why are there advertisements inside of it. This is starting to pop up more and more now. For example, like how they put advertisements inside of Street Fighter 5.

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
What about having a feature in-game to pause it, such that microtransactions become unavailable. Then, if the user requests to disable the feature, the lock expires after five weeks.
As am example lets say there is a skin unique for this month and need a micro-transaction.

Options:

A) You can buy
B) you can just leave it
C) you can opt out temp/permanently

Why would you buy this skin?
A) It looks very nice
B) I like to have a bigger collection of skins to mix & match
C) Its not pay to win and helps support game
D) May not spend all the time depends on my budget (sensible purchases)

(Reasons being this is already a major problem for Kickstarter tiers.)
we cannot be responsible for everyone's action but we can make aware like those warning signs that says smoking kills but people still smoke.

Would a sign saying please read carefully on the tier selected suitable to your budget if you wish.
There is an opt out option that you can click here if you are not interested [Opt out button]

However it would greatly help us develop the game further alternatively here are other ways to support us

-forum
- discord
-Youtube
-twitch

Well the only reason tv shows are free is because of the advertisements they have to show on the channels
Adverts are just annoying most i know use netflix or other streaming service no adverts
even those youtube adverts are annoying blaaagh

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
You don't understand addiction.

The video really is worth watching.
Yes i have watched it and i agree but people have to take some responsibility for their own choices too!

Sorry you are wrong i had a pasta addiction it stems down to mario
from the cartoon. When i was young saw he ate pasta and thought he has super powers
because of his pasta, now i eat less of it.

Biz

Kaiju Slayer
Kaiju Slayer
Jul 30, 2016
If some one has an issue they need to adress, it is on them to adress it, not to ask the world to change to suit them. That is a road of never slaying your dragons, that only lets them grow bigger. Yes there will be casulties and sobstories, but there will also be just as many or more people who dealt with a problem and got out on the other end of their personal darkplace a stronger induvidual.

Last edited:

Sy

Nov 16, 2018
sya.li
There's a big difference between being "strong" and being thrown into an environment specifically designed to manipulate people, create, encourage and take advantage of addiction.

I'd rather fight against the predators than blame the victims.

I get that a microtransaction-funded game has to do what it has to do, but this thread is my exploring another perspective without dismissing an opportunity.

Aug 14, 2016
Also remember people, that real addiction does have both a biological and psychological element to them. So just telling someone that it is their fault or that they are just weak people is like telling someone that they are is their fault for being born with that body and that whey are weak from having whole parts of society doing everything they can exploit you psychological and physiological. And just because someone is not addicted to drugs doesn't mean they can't have withdrawal and withdrawal symptoms. Some people do have physical pain and/or psychosomatic ailments as they try to over come their addiction. This is partly because they are basically trying to rewire their own brains not to do things they are genetically predisposed to do.

For example, let's say someone is trying to over an addiction to alcohol. It is say for people to blame them for this problem. Who many of those people who blame the victims actually stop to think about all the ads everywhere for alcohol, all the tv shows and movies of people drinking alcohol and having a good time, most of, if not all of, your friends and co-workers always asking you go out to party and drink with them? You can not put the blame all on the person when society and culture are always trying to push them into doing it and exploiting psychologically and socially by creating situations that make it easier for them to feed that addiction.

And as gaming becomes more and more common place and accepted the world over. The same problems pop up. How much harder is it break an addiction when you are surrounded by the thing you are addicted to? And remember there are lots of games and game mechanics that are designed to get people addicted and/or to exploit an already existing addiction. One great example being skinner box games.
Think about all the games they need you to do dailies or do an action every few hours.

Jul 26, 2016
If some one has an issue they need to adress, it is on them to adress it, not to ask the world to change to suit them. That is a road of never slaying your dragons, that only lets them grow bigger. Yes there will be casulties and sobstories, but there will also be just as many or more people who dealt with a problem and got out on the other end of their personal darkplace a stronger induvidual.
I strongly agree.

I got an addiction to eating. It causes problems. Eating when you don't need to... etc... etc...
I'm losing weight now due My own fucking willpower because the world ain't going to fix MY problem.

Making others suffer limitations and other crap because I got can't control myself ain't going to fix my own underlying issues.

Oh sure I'm going to fail as well as succeed on my own personal journey....lots of times... but that's on me.

Sy

Nov 16, 2018
sya.li
I looked deeper into this topic a while back.

TL;DR - Most people are referring to ICD-11, which takes effect Jan 2022. Even then, the United States has a history of lagging several years behind international usage.

The "I'm like totally so addicted to this ice cream LOL" self-diagnosis is not clinical addiction. Furthermore, "gaming addiction" is also not the same as the gambling addiction I've been referring to.

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
The "I'm like totally so addicted to this ice cream LOL" self-diagnosis is not clinical addiction. Furthermore, "gaming addiction" is also not the same as the gambling addiction I've been referring to.
Perhaps there could be a warning message like those cigarette packs and have a message ingame saying please take a break you been playing for an 1 hour like how warframe does.

Addiction could be reduced by

- Education to understand it better
- Ongoing Support [those who do not judge]
- Check ups with the Doc/psychologist just like you get for your eyes
- Sticking to a plan just like a diet

I am no expert here, and even a simple conversation with someone just so they are heard is nice
we can't tell what goes on in other peoples mind. Is it a strategy to cope with avoiding an underlining issue shrugs

Mar 16, 2017
Wouldn't those addicted to microtransactions just make another account when they can't buy anything on their main account?