Battle for New Copa

zdoofop

Firstclaimer
Jul 26, 2016
Noneofyourbeeswaxistan
Mynoku took a deep breath. He had been waiting for this moment for a long time. Everyone had. The station had been their home for many months while they prepared for what they knew was to come. Ever since Kirii encountered the first life form on the planet, everyone knew, as if by instinct, there was going to be a great battle. They knew not why, or how, or with what weapons, but they knew it would happen. Then came the big twist: not only was this form of life sentient, it had established a firm foothold on the planet. This would not do, not if the Gatesriders were going to claim a new home. And so they prepared for the outcome everyone knew was inevitable from the beginning: a great war, perhaps greater than whatever would happen with the Enshigi.

The Council had chosen one particular base as the site of their first battle. It was big enough to use as a staging ground, but not well defended, and so had the best chance of being taken. It had taken many, many months of training, making weapons, and modifying MEKs, but they finally felt ready to take on this enormous task. Most of them, anyway. Some, like Mynoku and Garveed, believed this task was not quite as simple as it seemed.

Now they were just outside the designated site, waiting for the signal to attack. After what seemed like an eternity, it was given. Dozens of MEKs chargd the base, catching the enemy completely by surprise. Heavys took on some of the larger Kaiju, snipers were picking off the shifters one by one, and the gunners took on everything else. Just outside the enemy base, medics were setting up med camps, while engineers used turrets to defend them from most threats. It looked like the battle would be over before lunchtime.

Then the enemy reinforcements came. No, they didn't march in from another base, or even emerge from underground bunkers. Instead, they simply appeared, as if they had always been there. Mynoku gulped. This was way more hostiles than they had expected to take on. They could lose this battle, and then there would be no one to take the planet. Worse, every time an enemy went down, it seemed as if one appeared out of nowhere to take its place.

Mynoku fought as hard as he could, and took many of them down, but he was beginning to tire. It seemed like there was no end in sight. Then a Cat 0 chomped his MEK's leg, and he was out of the fight. He had no choice. He hit the eject button and ran as far and as fast as he could. What else could he do?

He made it about 20 meters out of the base when he saw the reinforcements. Apparenty the Council was not quite as useless as everyone thought. He knew they would buy some time while he went back to Home to get his spare MEK and rejoin the fight. But by the time he got back, it was over. They had won what seemed an impossible battle. The base was now theirs.

Now came phase 2. Everyone grabbed their tools and got to work. Some started building new installations. Others started repairing and modifying the old ones. And of course, the heavies stood guard against any attempts to reclaim the base by the enemy. Mynoku was among the latter. His buddy Garveed was beside him, building a new scanning tower. "What do you think we should call this place?" asked Mynoku. "How should I know?" said Garveed, "You know I'm no good at naming stuff. Remember the frame I created? The Badass 2000?" "Don't remind me," said Mynoku, "But if you had your way, what would you call this place?" "How about Badass Base 2001?" joked Garveed. "That's not funny." said Mynoku. "I know. My job is not to be funny, it's to finish building this scanning tower." replied Garveed.

Last edited: