Avatar Clothing/Skinning in Ember

Modesty Optional?

• Total voters

Seneschul

Jul 28, 2016
No, this is not a request for leatherworking in Ember :p

My wife and several of our best friends were exceedingly uncomfortable about the sensual lack of clothing on several of the female characters (Specifically the dread/tank and the engineer, whose buttocks spilled from one side of her half-crotch pants.)

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for niftyness and pinups and sensuality - but it should be optional. I had a lot of friends who wanted to play Firefall, but refused frequently because their wife/girlfriend wouldn't play a game that made her feel uncomfortable.

To sum: I know 5 women who wanted to play, who didn't mind the outfits on someone else - but minded being forced to wear such things themselves.

I want to get them into this game :)

MollilMayhem

Jul 27, 2016
GA, USA
I totally agree with this post! As a female gamer, I always play a female character and I would love to have the option to choose the type of 'armor' or clothing my character wears. It never has made any sense to me that female characters have to look like a cross between pinup girls and hookers. Let the GIRLs have those outfit options if they want them but please give the real girl gamers a choice. :)

NitroMidgets

Tsi-Hu Hunter
Jul 27, 2016
Dupont, WA
I voted for optional modesty. I know, modesty seems a bit contrary to who I am but sometimes I just want to look normal. Other times I am OK with running around naked, in a game mostly. Saints Row 3 let me run around naked except I always wondered whey I kept my other weapons.......

P

PCMasterReece

1. Let my butt hang out in the breeze.
  2. Pinups plz!
  3. Skintight doesn't bother me.
I chose these 3 because... well I seriously couldn't care if a girl character is overtly sexual/dressed sexy )look at widowmaker). No SJW funny business here like there was over on Firefall, players making them Censor the engineer.

TankHunter678

Jul 26, 2016
No SJW funny business here like there was over on Firefall, players making them Censor the engineer.
I had one issue with the female engineer:

The exposed leg had no battleframe supports. That really threw me off. Here you have this heavy armor, with a heavy device on the right arm, with the right leg completely unsupported. All the weight would have been placed on that right unsupported leg. So what I wanted was the model changed to add supports to that leg to make it feel more balanced in weight distribution.

P

PCMasterReece

The exposed leg had no battleframe supports. That really threw me off. Here you have this heavy armor, with a heavy device on the right arm, with the right leg completely unsupported. All the weight would have been placed on that right unsupported leg. So what I wanted was the model changed to add supports to that leg to make it feel more balanced in weight distribution.
Would of been great if they decided to just add a leg brace :p

EvilKitten

Ark Liege
Jul 26, 2016

That would be applying logic to female armor, which would break the universe!

womb_power_science_comic_02a.jpg

http://www.geekxgirls.com/article.php?ID=1878

Jul 27, 2016
I'll ignore all the Firefall kerfuffle around this stuff and just say: a character can be a lot of things to a player, so if there's any customization, I'd like it to be diverse and varied. Being able to choose somewhere on a range between wearing nothing but a thong and dressing like you're going to scale Everest opens up a lot of ways to make a character stand out as well as being something that aligns with a player preference.

I think if an omniframe is like a battleframe, having normal and varied clothes under the armor components of a frame just makes a lot of sense to me. it could be good for people who like to look unique, for people who like in-game roleplay, could be another angle of attack in an in-game cosmetics store, on and on. The only downside is development time, or if it's immersion-breaking to be running around a desert wearing a winter parka, etc. But I don't think that's usually a big worry when companies make turkey-head Thanksgiving cosmetics or whatever.

Yrkul

Jul 27, 2016
While I do enjoy the sight of scantily clad women, there's a time for everything. I prefer armour to look functional, rather than seeing my squad mates running around in powered bikinis.

I can live with recons being eyecandy, but anyone supposed to be able to soak up hits should look like they'll be able to.