Aug 21 Eclipse pictures

Status
Not open for further replies.

EvilKitten

Ark Liege
Jul 26, 2016
Not seeing another thread so here are a couple pictures I took today. Location was Woodburn, OR along the I-5 corridor a bit inside the totality path.

upload_2017-8-21_16-53-52.png

Unfortunately max file size means that my original photo was cropped down from the original 4000 x 3000

upload_2017-8-21_17-14-53.png

upload_2017-8-21_16-56-55.png

And two others with the sun just beginning to peak out from behind the moon...

upload_2017-8-21_16-59-48.png

upload_2017-8-21_17-12-11.png

Last edited:

NoahDVS

Deepscanner
Jul 27, 2016
I went to the beach with some family and friends to see the eclipse. I couldn't get a picture worth taking, but we were lucky enough to be sitting next to a NASA engineer during the eclipse who let us borrow a pair of his eclipse glasses. We didn't talk a whole lot and he didn't seem like much of a talker, but I was glad we met him. He was working remotely and figured he might as well work at the beach.

EvilKitten

Ark Liege
Jul 26, 2016
These look great! You are so lucky to of been there in person.
It's sad, I live outside of the totality's path and I almost didn't leave my house but at the last minute I decided to give it a shot. I am so so glad that I did.

Great pics!

I'm in Iowa and there was 95% coverage but it was cloudy and rainy and overall crappy. Didn't get to see the eclipse, didn't even see it get darker :(
The thing is it really doesn't get dark until the last few moments before a totality, IE 98% coverage and over. It got darker about 2 minutes before the totality and then dim only right before. Even during the totality it wasn't nighttime darkness, it was more like a very dim twilight. I might have taken some pictures of the surroundings cept my camera was on a tripod fixed on the sun, and I only managed to get 27 pictures total before the totality was over. Within moments of the totality being over we were back to normal daytime, even though it took another 45 minutes before the eclipse was actually over.

upload_2017-8-22_9-2-44.png

Last edited:

PIghead Elderberry

Kaiju Slayer
JUMBO KAIJU SLAYER
Jun 4, 2017
CA USA
I had the good fortune to be in Carbondale in a spot where there were virtually no clouds for the full 2 min 40 sec of totality.

I only had my point and shoot, but it turned out reasonably well. I am sure I can sell them to NASA for millions since their set-up in SIU stadium got 1 second of totality and the rest of the time clouds even though it was a few miles away only.

Ring:

ring premoon.jpg

Ring on other side:
ring.jpg

Partial in a passing cloud:
sliver closeup.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.