Audio as a cosmetic

Sy

Nov 16, 2018
sya.li
Some audio alterations could also be brought in with certain skins.

But I'm also thinking in terms of audio like background music -- perhaps a combat soundtrack -- having additions which are purchasable like other cosmetics.

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
Specific sound tracks eh this could be good to find interesting bands and ofc more bros tunes!!!!

That could bring customization to an extra level not just with sound effects but the actual music so a boss encounter could sound just how you'd prefer.

In l4d2 the mods for sound is nice i tend to have some creepy music for the hunter and then i know a hunter is nearby. Also the boss music for me is jazzy and abit chaotic then it makes me think i got to run although not everyone would enjoy jazzy chaos however for me it was entertaining too :D

Aug 14, 2016
In games like Warframe, Phantasy Star Online, and the like one of the common options is having different voice for players to pick from for their character. With some of the voice options saying different things from the other voice options to denote a personality. This adds some variety to the sounds you hear while in groups and in combat. Even more so in games like Phantasy Star as you can also change the pitch of the voice your character has to be higher or lower. Again adding variety to the sounds you hear from other players, because even if two people picked the same voice options they can still sound really different from each other because of the pitch of their voice. And this is not even counting the words some voice options say when or after a given action is taken. For example in PSO2 and PSO2 NGS if I'm revived by another player my character's will voice line is often something like "I can still fight!" which is different many of the other voice options with lines.

Plus there is the idea to make some weapons sound different from others. For example in real life myths there stories about how notable melee weapons have a different sound from others when being used. With some of the most famous ones being things like singing swords, swords that for one reason or another make sound when being held or moved around. Often times with a kind of hum or bird-like high pitched sound. This can also be part of the reason why that even now in some movies and shows some of the swords people have seem to always make a ringing sound or a vibrating metal sound even if the only thing the person is doing is holding it up in the air. So we could also give different options to weapon skins where some of the weapon skins also change the sounds the weapons make.

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
Interesting idea...say something like Fallout's different radio stations but purchasable separately.
That could be one or having your own custom radio and have a mix and match but if you liked most of them in the pack then it would make sense to get the packs than individual

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
In games like Warframe, Phantasy Star Online, and the like one of the common options is having different voice for players to pick from for their character. With some of the voice options saying different things from the other voice options to denote a personality. This adds some variety to the sounds you hear while in groups and in combat. Even more so in games like Phantasy Star as you can also change the pitch of the voice your character has to be higher or lower. Again adding variety to the sounds you hear from other players, because even if two people picked the same voice options they can still sound really different from each other because of the pitch of their voice. And this is not even counting the words some voice options say when or after a given action is taken. For example in PSO2 and PSO2 NGS if I'm revived by another player my character's will voice line is often something like "I can still fight!" which is different many of the other voice options with lines.

Plus there is the idea to make some weapons sound different from others. For example in real life myths there stories about how notable melee weapons have a different sound from others when being used. With some of the most famous ones being things like singing swords, swords that for one reason or another make sound when being held or moved around. Often times with a kind of hum or bird-like high pitched sound. This can also be part of the reason why that even now in some movies and shows some of the swords people have seem to always make a ringing sound or a vibrating metal sound even if the only thing the person is doing is holding it up in the air. So we could also give different options to weapon skins where some of the weapon skins also change the sounds the weapons make.
:cool: I love sounds you cant forget them just like the sound of the pulse rifle in aliens, or the gun that robocop had even the Terminator when it gets scanned this is just wow to me

liandri

Omni Ace
Omni Ace
Jul 29, 2016
Zone of Bones, Australia
That's probably the only good thing about microtransaction/pay to customise, they could really do anything as long as enough people would pay for it. I'd love some voice packs (M3 is getting an OP-AI for Laura Post thankfully). Characters like Darla, who will more than likely be voiced NPCs, could have extra voice packs with them since they're already doing lines anyway.
The only thing I'd be against would be weapon sound packs. While you could sell a silly meme one and make a bit of money, I hope they'll avoid anything that makes the game obnoxious to play (unless you can directly mute those/default them back to normal for other players).